“Just Okay”
Review of Hotel Salinas

Hotel Salinas
Ranked #50 of 57 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

I stayed here in February 2017. The island was very busy with a lot of places fully booked. Salinas was the fifth room I took a look at and it was clean, away from noise and had a hot shower whilst still being within my backpackers budget unlike many other places. The old couple who I assume are the owners don't speak any English and are a bit Fawlty Towers in their style of management. I put some postcards in the postbox in the hotel courtyard but they still haven't arrived. If anyone staying at the hotel could ask if that post box is in use I would be very grateful! I can't find any contact details for the hotel. Enjoy Galapagos!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 April 2016

We stayed here as the courtyard seemed nice, and the room was bright and airy. However, the shower was cold despite having hot and cold taps. When I asked the woman who owned the place, she wandered off to check (I assume) and didn't get back to me. A few hours later we returned after a day trip and the woman had gone, replaced by a man - presumably her husband. I checked the shower, still cold. I asked him, and he replied angrily that there is no hot water and has NEVER been hot water. Then he stormed off. Amazing. To top it off, we put in some laundry on the Sunday since the laundrettes were all closed, and were told we'd get it back the following day. But they don't launder clothes themselves, simply take it three doors down to Lava Flash and charge you 50c per kilo extra for the privilege. So in the morning at checkout I saw the laundry still behind the counter, picked it up, and took it to the laundrette myself. If the staff at a hotel - especially the owners - want to treat people like garbage, they shouldn't be in the business. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. We moved to Hotel Francis Drake for $35. For that extra $5 we got hot shower, fantastic room and wi-fi that actually worked.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sparkyrob
Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

What a disappointment Salinas has been. Seeing all those pics of the highrise apartments n Condos I anticipated a town or city of note. We spent 3 days here and my impressions now have been shaped to see this Tourists town as a dusty dirty location. Walk along the street adjacent to the Malecon and you dare not take your eyes off where you step -- large open concrete holes, unfinished sidewalks --I have seen better in small towns of northern India --everywhere there is dust and dirt. Restaurants are for the majority of cases fast food locations, even the fish dishes leave you wondering. ..? I gather mid March is nearing the end of high season & if so this town without a caring Council must turn into something Clint Eastwood would see suitable for a late release of For Just a Few $$$ More. I have never seen so many 15+ stories high condos that are empty. .not a light to be seen anywhere at night! I cannot believe Cuenca and Salinas are both in the same country.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2016

Rooms and bathrooms are smelly and dirty, the beds are uncomfortable and seemed to be dirty, too. The shower was disgusting and seemed to be dangerous due to cables standing out everywhere! The owners are elderly, very unfriendly people, who let us wait repeatedly during check-in to watch their TV-soap.
Double room was 30$ instead of the usual 40$, but believe me, it's not worth it. Also the only place in Galápagos that doesn't offer drinking water for free.

Room Tip: All rooms are terrible
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelinggypsies-rv
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

Don't spend your money here. The old woman at the reception is by far the worst person I've met in Latin America. Her son gave us a discount because we stayed more nights, which she denied. In the end she gave us a room with the discount anyway, but she took her time to pick the worst room available (although the hotel was almost empty.) We were traveling with another couple who had a piece of concrete of the ceiling on their bed, which was completely harmless according to the old woman. After insulting us for not understanding that we were in the Galápagos and we shouldn't expect to get a room for $25, we decided to leave it and go out for dinner. When we came back, there were cockroaches in our room and I noticed that one of the towels was dirty. I went to the reception. The woman ignored me for 5 minutes because she was watching tv, and I asked for an insect spray. First she pretended she was deaf, then she started laughing, saying that's what I get for $25. I ignored it and politely asked for a clean towel. She told me the hotel is spotless and they always put clean towels on the bed. When I showed her the dirty towel, she looked away and called me a liar. They also have a rule that you can use the kitchen but you cannot enter it (I'm as confused as you are), you have to ask for the things you need. The next morning I asked for 2 bowls and 2 spoons. It took 30 minutes before her husband came out of the kitchen and he gave me 3 plates. I thought fine, we'll eat oats on a flat plate. He made me ask for the spoons again. He started yelling in my face that it is called "fork", not "spoon". I told him I know what a spoon is, and that I needed two spoons. He yelled something inaudible and came back with two forks, the dirtiest ones we've ever seen. We left and had breakfast elsewhere. Please don't spend your money here. There are lovely budget hostels in Santa Cruz owned by nice people. These people don't deserve your money.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple