See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 March 2016

We enjoyed our time at Santa Marta Real. Close to the historic centre, but without the high prices. Convenient to walk to the beach, restaurants etc.
The room was comfortable and clean and the staff very pleasant and helpful.
A good stay

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2015 via mobile

This is a comfortable hotel in the historical center if you need to be there for meetings or bussinnes, close to government offices and the bay. You can find around nice and restaurants and places for drinks! You can see El Morro. The hotel is clean and the staff gave me good service. Breakfast was included but they are not variety! Becareful with insecurity in this area, too many burglar, robbers, thieves, homeless and street children trying to get something from you!!! Recommen this hotel.if you want a good place in the downtown buttt if yoy dont need to be there is much better stay in hotels located in another area! ;)

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2015

Based on the reviews I had read on here, I thought the hotel would be bad, but I thought it was well priced and had good value. The rooms were comfortable but not extravagant, and the hotel overall was really clean. I thought the staff was very helpful and friendly. Downsides are that the hotel restaurant was very windy, since it is on the fourth floor on a roofed terrace, so much that sometimes things would blow over, and the hotel is close to undesirable part of Santa Marta.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank vthomson96
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

We were very satisfied with our stay at Santa Marta Real. The location might get a little bit dangerous at late hours, but you can always take a cab just to be safe. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the serve eggs with toast or arepa for breakfast. The terrace is very nice too. The price-benefit is excellent!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank mcorozco129
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Oh how I wish I had read the reviews before booking. I wasted a whole day at the beach, which is really the point of going to Santa Marta, because the staff would not take care of my luggage after I checked out at 10 or so. They literally told me that because I had already paid them, they no longer have any obligation to me at all. I guess that's technically true, but any hostel or hotel of any kind will always be kind to their guests even after they have forked over way too much dough for that neighborhood and bland tasteless hotel. Of course, you can't take your luggage or purse with passport to the beach, so I never saw playa blanca. I was so angry it made me cry.
The only helpful staff member was surly and condescending.
The design is completely artless and made to be cost efficient. The liquid soap was maybe 10% soap. I understand skimping a little, but this was kind of too much.
While you are safe in the hotel, and they have a guard at the door, if you venture a block in the wrong direction you could get mugged. The prostitution strip of Santa Marta is two blocks away.
Oh and you really like the view? Well, you'll have that in the morning or any time you are in the hotel restaurant, but most rooms have a view of the neighboring abandoned houses and you will have a front row seat to the daily lives of people who squat in them (usually the roofs are torn down so you see everything).
On the plus side, it's quite clean and the reception and security are always there.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo