“The worst treatment I have ever recieved”

Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Kill devil Hills
“The worst treatment I have ever recieved”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I stayed at the Berkley the same time as the reviewer from Philadelphia must have and it was a terrible experiance. I was in town to Christmas shop with a friend who lives in the area - sort of a girls weekend. When I checked in I also experianced a line that took 40 minutes to get through and then I as well was quoted a differant rate from what I booked the room at. Fortunatley I had my print out to prove what rate I booked for. The desk cleck did not even apologise. Now for the "wrist bands" - I understand some hotels upcharge for a triple / quad rate - normally the charge is somewhere around $10 per person - it seemed $20 was excessive , but oh well what are you going to do - The wrist bands made me furious. My friend who lives in town had hired a babysitter for the evening so that when we were done shopping we could go back to the hotel and have a glass of wine in the room - she was not allowed to goto my room - that is unless I registered her as a guest and paid yet an additional $20.00!!!! I have traveled for years and I have NEVER heard of sucj things - I also happen to work in the hotel business and at a very similar property in North Carolina - and again I would NEVER treat guests this way. When I asked to speak with the manager I was given the run around and was finally connected to an "office manager" who kept making excuses about the "security threat" -SECURITY THREAT? - a few concert goers??? You would have thought that the hotel was under some sort of attack. Also if this was such a threat why was I not informed of ot at the time I made the reservation??? This hotel has the worst customer service of any property I have ever stayed at. If we treated guests theway they did we would be out of business. I also was offended at the fact I was made to sign a paper stating that I would not use narcotics in the hotel - I was checking in with my teenagers to christmas shop - how the hotel dared to treat me like I had just come from a rehab facility I do not know. So NEVER NEVER NEVER this hotel is not worth it there are plenty of other properties in the area that would not treat customers this was (if they did probably loose their franchise) I also will be filing complaints with the BBB regarding this property!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jdchisholm74
berkeley1401, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Dear jdchisholm74:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is our sincere wish that every guest that walks through our doors has a pleasant experience and I apologize that circumstances occurred during your stay which inhibited you from enjoying your time at our hotel.

During the weekend of the Grateful Dead concert we took measures to ensure the safety of our guests and I regret that you were inconvenienced in any regard. Our hotel has a lot to offer and we are constantly making improvements. We truly hope you will consider us in the future in order for us to welcome you back to The Berkeley Hotel.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 December 2009

My wife and I booked a room at the Berkeley in early October 2009 for a stay in December 2009 on the night of a concert taking place across the street at Convention Hall. Our original booking was for a base rate of $119.00 and a total of $133.28. Upon check-in at 2 p.m. on the day of our stay, the line for check-in was 40+ minutes long because the hotel was sold out and guests started to arrive. Later we witnessed a check-in line that was an hour+. When we finally reached the desk, they handed us a hotel registration form with a rate of $278.00. We said absolutely not. As it turned out we didn't bring our print-out for the reservation (a big mistake) so they were trying to price gouge us. I indicated that I would drive to Fedex Kinkos to print it out and bring it back but the manager said she would check into it. She went into the back room for a while and came back and apologized and said they had a computer glitch and it was an error. So they ended up giving us the original rate. I also tried to use their business services and swiped my debit card to activate the computer but the mouse didn't work. The machine was charging my card for minutes online but I couldn't even use it. We had to ask the manager to unplug it to stop it from charging me. Before we left the desk, the clerk handed us a piece of paper to sign that indicated that we would not have parties in the room, smoke in the hotel, or have illegal narcotics in our rooms. I've never been more insulted. I'm not even sure if that's legal to do to hotel guests. I never in my life have experienced such treatment. We also booked a room with the capacity for 4 guests as we had another couple staying with us. The hotel informed us that it would be an extra $20 per person to be in the room beyond the first person. I'm wondering how many people book hotel rooms for 1 person? Ridiculous. If the hotel room has the capacity for 4 guests, then why would you have to pay an additional fee per person beyond 1 guest? It doesn't make any sense. Again, more price gouging. I intend to file a complaint with the BBB and Attorney General. My wife and I are in our mid 30s. I'm wondering if the hotel would treat guests in their mid 50s or 60s in the same manner. This is clearly discrimination. The hotel also made all guests wear wristbands and informed us that no unregistered guests of any kind would be allowed to enter the hotel no matter what. All guests had to show a wristband. What???? I've never heard of such a thing in my life and I travel quite a bit. I have a close friend that works in the hotel business doing bookings and she informed me that she has never heard of such practices before and she seems to think that these things are bordering on illegal. Certainly the price gouging is. I heard from several other guests that day that the hotel refused to give them their original reservation rate and rather charged them the $278/night rate which is obscene considering when I booked my room the hotel was charging $119, which then quickly went up to $165 in the weeks following culminating with the $278 rate. It's unbelievable because if that concert had not been going on across the street the Berkeley would have been completely empty. What a way to treat guests. To top it off while we were checking in, the police arrived outside and threatened to tow cars from the entrance way even though guests still needed to unload their belongings. The hotel announced that everyone must park their cars elsewhere. Talk about a complete lack of guest services. I would never stay at this hotel again. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, this hotel takes the cake for bottom of the barrel service and they excel at mistreating guests. As an avid traveler and professional I would recommend staying elsewhere if you ever have any reason to even go to Asbury Park, NJ.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
berkeley1401, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2009
Dear ardmoreflyer:

We appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel. The city of Asbury Park is making great strides and it is wonderful to know that you were in town for a concert.

During the weekend of the Grateful Dead concert, we felt it was our responsibility to take measures that ensured the safety of all hotel guests. We apologize that you were inconvenienced.

Regarding your rate, we are happy to know that the mistake was corrected and that we accommodated you by honoring your original rate.

Travellers are raving about these Asbury Park hotels

Catskill NY
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I was delighted from the moment I pulled up. This hotel had it all - architectural design, elegant interior, large stunning room and most important - friendly staff. Everything you need for a "home away from home" This hotel will be on my list for future travel to the area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
berkeley1401, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2009
Dear steve4855:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review of our hotel. It gives us great pleasure to know that you consider our hotel to be a “home away from home”. We value our guests and work hard to deliver excellence. We cannot wait to welcome you back to The Berkeley.

jelohs5395
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions when coming to Asbury for concerts etc.. They are in my opinion the only place to stay in Asbury Park. The hotel is recently renovated and the color scheme is a little odd but it adds to the entertainment of the evening. It is within walking distance of the Stone Pony and the Wonder Bar. While the parking situation could use some re-thinking and I do wish they had a restaurant on premises or room service of some kind, that would really bump it up to a four star hotel in my opinion. All the same pool is great in the summer and the staff were friendly and helpful, when we needed to heat up food the gave us access to a microwave behind the desk and let us go back and look for a phone we lost shortly after, they were prompt in changing a blown lightbulb and at check out in the morning the front desk staff was incredibly pleasant. The beds are roomy and really soft the towels are soft as well and there are heat lamps to warm up the bathroom during showers.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
berkeley1401, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2009
Dear jelohs5395:

Thank you for always choosing our hotel. We are elated to know that we are your only choice when you stay in Asbury Park. Our staff works hard to make sure you have a great stay and leave with a positive impression.

Unfortunately the metered parking situation is out of our control since it was run through the city. However, I am excited to inform you that as a courtesy, the city of Asbury Park has temporarily lifted the metered parking fee during the holiday season until January, 2010 and guests are welcome to park at no cost during this time.

I am also happy to let you know that our company is not finished with the renovation and we are planning even more first-rate changes. We can not wait to have you back.

jerilynne
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We had a ridiculously low rate from Travelzoo so our expectations weren't high, but we ended up having a great overnight stay. The hotel is really neat-take a walk around and explore a little.The front desk staff was friendly, our room had a boutique hotel feel and was well appointed(great bathroom with big towels and spa toiletries), and the ocean view from the room was really nice. The location can't be beat. A really short walk down the boardwalk takes you to a bunch of good restaurants/lounges. In the morning(after the very simple continental breakfast) we requested and were easily granted a later checkout of noon and walked down the boardwalk to stroll around Ocean Grove.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
berkeley1401, Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2009
Dear jerilynne,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking advantage of the travelzoo promotion. It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and explored the City of Asbury Park. If you are in this area in the future, we hope that The Berkeley Hotel will again be your first choice.

Sincerely
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
8.0 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
16.8 km away
Point Pleasant Manor
Point Pleasant Manor
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!