I stayed at the Berkley the same time as the reviewer from Philadelphia must have and it was a terrible experiance. I was in town to Christmas shop with a friend who lives in the area - sort of a girls weekend. When I checked in I also experianced a line that took 40 minutes to get through and then I as well was quoted a differant rate from what I booked the room at. Fortunatley I had my print out to prove what rate I booked for. The desk cleck did not even apologise. Now for the "wrist bands" - I understand some hotels upcharge for a triple / quad rate - normally the charge is somewhere around $10 per person - it seemed $20 was excessive , but oh well what are you going to do - The wrist bands made me furious. My friend who lives in town had hired a babysitter for the evening so that when we were done shopping we could go back to the hotel and have a glass of wine in the room - she was not allowed to goto my room - that is unless I registered her as a guest and paid yet an additional $20.00!!!! I have traveled for years and I have NEVER heard of sucj things - I also happen to work in the hotel business and at a very similar property in North Carolina - and again I would NEVER treat guests this way. When I asked to speak with the manager I was given the run around and was finally connected to an "office manager" who kept making excuses about the "security threat" -SECURITY THREAT? - a few concert goers??? You would have thought that the hotel was under some sort of attack. Also if this was such a threat why was I not informed of ot at the time I made the reservation??? This hotel has the worst customer service of any property I have ever stayed at. If we treated guests theway they did we would be out of business. I also was offended at the fact I was made to sign a paper stating that I would not use narcotics in the hotel - I was checking in with my teenagers to christmas shop - how the hotel dared to treat me like I had just come from a rehab facility I do not know. So NEVER NEVER NEVER this hotel is not worth it there are plenty of other properties in the area that would not treat customers this was (if they did probably loose their franchise) I also will be filing complaints with the BBB regarding this property!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As historic Asbury Park's premier boutique hotel, The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel enjoys a prime location along the New Jersey shoreline just steps from the famed boardwalk. Designed by noted Beaux Arts architect Warren Whitney of New York, the hotel recently underwent a renovation of historic proportions and is poised to experience the renaissance of this nineteenth-century seaside destination. Modern luxuries complement the classic grandeur of this 238-room famous hotel, with a nod to the Victorian architecture and oceanfront glamour of Asbury Park's storied past. The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel embodies everything that is the revitalization of the famed Jersey Shore and itself represents the rebirth of this cultural icon. The Berkeley offers a bar and restaurant during the summer season only. Parking is available in our lot at an additional cost. Parking is provided on a first come, first serve basis as it is limited. The Berkeley prides itself on being a pet friendly hotel. Pet friendly rooms are offered on a designated floor at an additional cost. A complimentary coffee service is available daily from 7 AM to 11 AM for all overnight guests. For questions or concerns, please reach out to the email provided on our general information page. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, Odigeo, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley Hotel Asbury Park
- Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel
- Berkeley Asbury Park