“Not worth the price”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Freehold, New Jersey
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I recently stayed there for a wedding and that was the hotel that was booked, but I was not a fan. To start off there was not enough parking spots for the guests. At 6pm they explained to use that the lot was full and did not comp our parking to park on the street. The parking lot seemed to be big enough to fit the staff. The hotel room was very big though, except for having to use your room key to work the electric. The thermostat in our room did not work well and after speaking to another guest, their's did not work well either. The shower only had one piece of glass and did not run the full length of the tub, which made it fun to shower because the floor was soaked afterwards. They did have flat screen televisions in the room, but no HD channels. I would not stay there again, but then again I think it is probably the nicest hotel in Asbury Park..If you do room here, don't expect anything fancy..

Room Tip: Make sure your thermostat works when you arrive
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank WPanckeri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I've stayed at the Berkeley at least a dozen times over the past four years and I have to say it keeps getting better and better. Initially, we had to be content with the charm of faded glory but it is getting less faded. They keep making good choices in their renovations -- not only are the ballrooms lovely, they are the only catering space in the tri-state area without hallucinogenic carpeting, the restaurant is nice without being stuffy, the staff extremely helpful. They even got rid of the square pillows which looked really cool but were not so comfortable. I really think they're focusing on the right things.

And they use duvets instead of bedspreads. That should just be the law, its so far superior.

Each time I go I can't wait to see what they've done this time. My only concern is that I'll eventually end up priced out!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leah V
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here for the ATP music festival and had an amazing room with a view of the ocean. It was a perfect location, and the rooms and hotel itself were very nice and clean. Loved it and hope I can go back next year!

Room Tip: Get a room that looks towards the ocean
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashley F
new jersey
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We only live about a 1/2 hour away and spend a good deal of time in Asbury Park. When we got tickets to a show in Convention Hall, we decided to make a night of it and I got a reservation to stay overnight at the Berkeley.
Only being in the lobby of the hotel in the past, I was cautiously optimistic of the experience we would have actually staying for a night.
I have to say, I was impressed. The room was much more spacious and better decorated than I thought it would be. Even the bathroom was completely redone and very, very clean. The common areas; lobby, hallways, elevators, were also very well kept up. Since we were there in the winter we didn't experience the pool or any of the outside grounds other than the front of the hotel.
Parking is a pain. The lot in the back ($10) gets filled up so you have to do metered parking and, like previous reviews have said, you have to be out there to feed the meter ($1.00 an hour, 9am - 10pm, I think)
We didn't eat in the Dauphin Grill, but if it's anything like the other restaurants that the owners have in Asbury, I'm sure it's great. The bar area looks cool.
I only had one real complaint. All over are signs advertising breakfast in the Dauphin Grill on weekends....8am - 11am, buffet, price, details. So, Saturday morning my husband and I go down at 9am for breakfast and the restaurant is dark and locked. The explaination I was given at the front desk is that they had a catering job off-site and couldn't do both breakfast in the hotel and the catering job. So the guests of the hotel were SOL, I guess. The staff I encountered at the hotel was very nice and helpful, but a heads up that there would be no breakfast the next day when I checked in would have been nice. That is just not the way to run a hotel or a restaurant if you want people to come back.
Hopefully that was an isolated incident because I really think the hotel has a lot of potential. It's location is fantastic for walking over to a show at Convention Hall or just walking down the boardwalk to a host of great restaurants. The scene in Asbury is great, there's always something going on, and if you stay at this hotel you will be within easy walking distance of much of it!
The agent at the front desk did say that they are putting a roof top bar in for the summer, so it seems like they are trying to keep themselves at the top of their game (so to speak).
Not sure if we will have the opportunity to stay at the Berkeley again, but I would be happy to do so if we did.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jerseygirl424
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Good location, rooms are decent, but after checking in around 7pm no spots in hotel lot. Had to pay & park on street and after a late night had get up at 9am to go back down & put more money in meter to avoid ticket! Hotel is doable considering not alot to choose from right in asbury park but parking is annoying. I like location because you can walk across street & be on boardwalk where there is nice selection of shops, restaurants & bars.

• Stayed December 2011
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
8.0 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Hotel Tides
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
7.9 km away
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall

Been to Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!