We only live about a 1/2 hour away and spend a good deal of time in Asbury Park. When we got tickets to a show in Convention Hall, we decided to make a night of it and I got a reservation to stay overnight at the Berkeley.
Only being in the lobby of the hotel in the past, I was cautiously optimistic of the experience we would have actually staying for a night.
I have to say, I was impressed. The room was much more spacious and better decorated than I thought it would be. Even the bathroom was completely redone and very, very clean. The common areas; lobby, hallways, elevators, were also very well kept up. Since we were there in the winter we didn't experience the pool or any of the outside grounds other than the front of the hotel.
Parking is a pain. The lot in the back ($10) gets filled up so you have to do metered parking and, like previous reviews have said, you have to be out there to feed the meter ($1.00 an hour, 9am - 10pm, I think)
We didn't eat in the Dauphin Grill, but if it's anything like the other restaurants that the owners have in Asbury, I'm sure it's great. The bar area looks cool.
I only had one real complaint. All over are signs advertising breakfast in the Dauphin Grill on weekends....8am - 11am, buffet, price, details. So, Saturday morning my husband and I go down at 9am for breakfast and the restaurant is dark and locked. The explaination I was given at the front desk is that they had a catering job off-site and couldn't do both breakfast in the hotel and the catering job. So the guests of the hotel were SOL, I guess. The staff I encountered at the hotel was very nice and helpful, but a heads up that there would be no breakfast the next day when I checked in would have been nice. That is just not the way to run a hotel or a restaurant if you want people to come back.
Hopefully that was an isolated incident because I really think the hotel has a lot of potential. It's location is fantastic for walking over to a show at Convention Hall or just walking down the boardwalk to a host of great restaurants. The scene in Asbury is great, there's always something going on, and if you stay at this hotel you will be within easy walking distance of much of it!
The agent at the front desk did say that they are putting a roof top bar in for the summer, so it seems like they are trying to keep themselves at the top of their game (so to speak).
Not sure if we will have the opportunity to stay at the Berkeley again, but I would be happy to do so if we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the Jersey Shore, just a few steps from the famous Asbury Park boardwalk, the Atlantic Ocean provides gorgeous panoramic views and the ultimate setting for your relaxing getaway. The Berkeley’s coveted beachfront location has convenient proximity to an array of local hotspots, the most notable is The Stone Pony. Our oceanfront hotel is only an hour away from Philadelphia and New York City, making it easily accessible. Head to the Tiki Bar and enjoy a cocktail poolside under the private cabanas for the ultimate relaxation experience. Or you can soak up the sun on the beach and then head across the street to the legendary Stone Pony. If you are one of lucky ones you may catch a surprise appearance by “The Boss”, Bruce Springsteen. The nightlife is diverse and when you stroll along the boardwalk, you will discover great beaches, great shopping, and delicious dining options. The boutique NJ hotel and the historic seaside community is the ideal venue for your wedding featuring magnificent ballrooms and an expansive rooftop perfect for your ceremony or a sunset cocktail party. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley Hotel Asbury Park
- Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel
- Berkeley Asbury Park