“est of Cartagena”

Ranked #9 of 152 Hotels in Cartagena
Seattle
“est of Cartagena”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Cartagena is tropical warmth with Colonial charm and Ananda Hotel is positioned to make the best of Cartagena. The rooms are quiet and comfortable but a little over air conditioned. The staff works hard to please but not all speak english. The rooftop terrace gives a panoramic view over the city and the little pool/spa on the roof is cool, perfect in the heat of the day. Our group booked the whole hotel and the staff worked very hard to arrange for massages etc which worked out pretty well with a bunch of last minute changes. Since it was only friends in the hotel we took it over like it was our vacation home. We would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Equipo Anandá H, Gerente at Ananda Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Terri Ann

We deeply appreciate you took the time to share your experience with us. Every one of your important comments will be taken into account to fix any detail that needs to be adjusted in order to continue in our constant seeking for excellence.
We hope you give us the opportunity of staying with us in a next occasion, so that we can do our best to provide you with the best service and make of your stay a wonderful experience.

Anandá Hotel Boutique

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We were put here at the last minute due to a mix up in the bookings. So glad we were!!! I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. Staff were superb. Not all spoke English but some did perfectly. Rooms are lovely, not a suite as we expected, which usually have a separate living room, but all were en suite. Good air conditioning in the rooms as well as a fan. Bathrooms are well presented, with teak floors in the shower. Included breakfast was a great start to the day.
Location in the old city is perfect, short walk from lovely restaurants, other hotels nearby as well.
Both pools offered loungers with lots of towels. The rooftop one is great for sunbathing if that's your thing. Courtyard is great for breakfast and after dinner drinks. Or eat in the air conditioned restaurant. Food was very good.

Would I return ? Most definitely.

A Goodin

Room Tip: Suggest a room on the 2nd floor (first floor to English people) so your not next to courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Tony G.

Your comments are our biggest reward and the main reason to keep trying to do our best every time.
We’re very pleased to know that you enjoy your visit to our city and your stay with us.
We’ll certainly be looking forward to have you with us in your next trip to Colombia.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Ananda is a great hotel in the old city of Cartagena. It is relatively new, so all the rooms and furnishings are nice. The staff is friendly and courteous. The rooms are quiet, which is great. There's isn't much of a swimming pool, but most hotels in the old city have no swimming pool, so it's sort of par for the course. The staff all speaks English too, which helps. They have a nice conference room which you can use for business meetings too (we did). It is kind of expensive, but well worth it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear tj Herman

California
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This little hotel is superbly located in Cartagena's old town.
It is designed in colonial style but has every modern convenience, tastefully
designed with wonderful service and beautifully appointed rooms.
Staff is helpful and welcoming. The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast
with pleasant, pleasing service and lots of fresh fruit.
Spotless bathrooms have teak-slatted floors and lots of forceful hot water with quality
shampoos and soaps. Two swimming pools give choice of location and the sun decks
on two levels are the perfect places to watch the sun set.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Peripatetic

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Ananda was the home away from home that I wish were my real home rather than a hotel! From the moment of my first email inquiry, the service I received was outstanding and the property itself was beautiful. You are welcomed at check-in and made to feel as if you are their one and only guest. A tour of the hotel makes you feel as if you are visiting a private home with all of the luxuries and amenities awaiting you. The hotel has about 23 rooms but feels very private. It has a very serene and tranquil presence which is hard to imagine in the surroundings of chaos known as Cartagena Centro. Ananda has two beautiful pools, the rooftop one was my favorite with warm, caribbean breezes washing over you as you sip on a lovely cocktail or one of the many fresh juices. Even though the staff was not obtrusive they were available. As I sat on the roof I was asked if I wanted to take lunch which they promptly took care of. The food at Ananda is very good and even though I ate at some of the city's better known restaurants, my favorite meal was at the Ananda. I also had a massage which was divine! I really felt like the staff personally anticipated my wants and needs and provided great recommendations tailored to my preferences. They always took care to see how I was and if there was anything that I should want. I wanted for nothing more while a guest at the Ananda because they provided so much.
As far as room accommodations, it was quite large and beautifully decorated. The bathroom had a teak floor shower and the toiletries were very nice as one would expect at a high-end property. Everything was extremely clean and new.
Ananda provides pick up from hotel which is very convenient. They will also call you a taxi, help arrange tours, private or group, make dinner reservations, etc.

Finally for me the most important part of my stay was one of a medical nature. I was randomly stung by a bee and returned promptly to the hotel where they promptly removed the stinger and fetched cortisone for the reaction. They stayed with me to assure that I did not have a reaction and then checked on me later in the day to make sure I was feeling ok.

I stayed 4 nights at Ananda and am so pleased with my decision to stay there. I felt that I had a relaxing, pampered, personalize stay. I had considered a few other boutique hotels and luckily the sofitel was booked so I happily discovered the Ananda and would not stay anywhere else if I were to go back to Cartagena.

While I stayed there the other guests varied from businessmen to couples to a family. As a solo traveler I felt very secure and found it easy to meet others.

As for the person who wrote the comment about the refund, the Ananda clearly provided me in English their cancellation policy and also that it takes about 30 days for transactions to credit if necessary. I think it is fairly common at small hotels that you put down a deposit and so I wouldn't worry about this as the policy is clear and flexible.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Equipo Anandá H, Gerente at Ananda Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, 24 February 2016

Dear Guest

We’d like to thank you a lot for your words. Comments like yours certainly incentivize us to keep trying our best every day. Every one of your important comments will be taken into account to fix any detail that needs to be adjusted.
We hope to have you Home again, during your next visit to Cartagena.