“It was nice”
Review of Museo del Caribe

Museo del Caribe
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

It was a nice way to start my vacation. I enjoyed taking in a little bit of the history & origin of the Colombian culture. It was actually helpful in other experiences during my trip. However I felt like the self guided tour was like a library you had to literally read EVERYTHING. There was only a few sections that were interactive or videos. If you love to read, then you will enjoy your visit. If you don't, then you might get a little bored.

1  Thank Carmen A
"interactive museum"
in 4 reviews
"atlantic coast"
in 3 reviews
"brush up on your spanish"
"great insight"
in 10 reviews
"audio"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

There’s not as many museums here compared with other Colombian cities so we went to explore this museum that presents the history of the land and the people of Colombia’s Caribbean coast. The architecture is striking and the exhibits are stacked vertically from floor to floor. Start at the top and descend to the lobby level. There’s a room filled with artifacts and books that are part of the collection from the time Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez worked as a journalist for El Heraldo. Odd audio-visual presentation seems designed for very young children. Very nicely designed exhibit on the native peoples (13 tribes represented). However all exhibits are in Spanish. The content is comprehensive in scope not extensive and the rooms appear sparse. The museum apparently needs help. Small selection but good quality items in the gift shop.

3  Thank Arxitexter
Reviewed 17 August 2017

To view the museum, you take the elevator to the fifth floor and work your way down. Coincidentally, my opinion of the museum went down as we descended.

The best part, definitely worth the price of admission (although to be fair it was half price when we visited, due to the AC being broken) was the cultural videos. I think there were 12 or 15 videos on the different indigenous Colombian cultures -- you sat on a stool in front of your own video screen and chose the ones you wanted to watch. Each video was probably around five minutes long, and I watched all of them -- it was a great way to learn more about the diverse cultural history of the country, and I even learned about the origin of some of the artisanal crafts I had seen.

There were also guides on each floor, which I thought was a nice idea. However, after a brief and rehearsed speech about what we'd see on the floor, they didn't seem to be very interested in answering questions (and it wasn't a language issue, as my friend and I speak fluent Spanish). It was not crowded and they didn't appear to be doing anything else, so it was a bit of a mystery.

I think our biggest complaint centers around the temporary exhibit about Garcia Marquez and a French Caribbean author -- it wasn't very interesting, did not significantly feature Colombia, and yet took up a great deal of space on each floor. It supplanted many of their permanent exhibits, in fact, and we weren't able to see any of the Caribbean music exhibit that we had read about. On one floor, everything (presumably permanent exhibits) was covered except for one area that again featured the temporary exhibit.

So, if you can go when the permanent exhibits and AC are all up and running, it might be an interesting way to spend a few hours. Otherwise, head right to the videos and don't bother with the lower floors, it's not going to get any better.

3  Thank miss j
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have visited some interactive museums in the United Kingdom and I pleased to say that there were not significant differences with this museum. The interactive experience makes this place unique. It's a true travel through the Caribbean culture in Colombia. It's a "never miss" place to visit in Barranquilla. For your information, the surroundings have been refurbished in order to become in a touristic reference for the city. Near to the Museo del Caribe, you can find the Avenida del Río (River Avenue) and the Casa de la Aduana (Customs House).