See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 September 2015

An amazing 4 stars hotel, located in an ancient chinese mansion. The building and the gardens are the most beautifull we had in china - it is as if you are staying inside a musuem. No english in the front desk, but this is why we had the ITranslate app in our phone. For a 60$ per room per night, with an excellent chinese breakfast, it is a bargain!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2015 via mobile

We booked a room in the Buddha Zen Hotel because we wanted a 'traditional' court yard hotel. Due to ongoing renovations we were offered this as an alternative. As for the location, The Old Chengdu Club is situated in Old Town along a through road. So it is possible for taxi's to come to the Hotel. But there is no sign on the outside, so there's the problem of drivers and taxi's not able to find the hotel. For the hotel itself. The rooms are modern in a vintage Chinese decor to match the feeling you are supposed to get from the hotel which is indeed a court yard... but it is a replica with different buildings meeting different purposes like conference, spa, weddings... indeed, possibly a lot of noise. To keep the noise down, at least ask for a room off the side of the street. The room is fully equipped with all necessary amenities, good shower.
Breakfast was terrible. Maybe it was just raided before we got there but we were happy to get our hands on a fried egg and a (last) piece of fruit.
The staff at the front desk is not appearing to be happy to work there... unfriendly and not able to speak or understand one word of English.
Then again, the beds are not as hard as the regular hotel beds in China. Overall we had a good stay. When in China adjust your expectations and you will be fine.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2014 via mobile

I like the room with the authentic feel. Looked through a few websites including the hotel's website to ensure that I could book the one that I like based on the photos. Unfortunately, the room photos are not accurate. The staffs would not be bothered to help you with the luggages. My parents and I brought the luggages to the rooms with the staff following us from behind. The staff was only interested to guide us on how to open the door with the keys. The toilet was huge. However, it was very cold, as the wind would enter the toilet area. The staffs at the breakfast area were more interested in watching television than to serve you. The spoon, knife, etc were oily. Don't think they really wash them.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 6 October 2014

The worst service I've ever experienced and I didnot want to recall them again - sales person has extremely arrogant attitude and the F&B manager seems always ready to arguing with dirty words like rogue when you raised questions or showed any unsatisfied. I booked four suites for my guests and I had to check the rooms in advance by myself - A/Cs were not working, lights were not working and the corridors and porch were so dark without any lights that it was so dangerous people were very easy to get hurt........when I informed GSM that all the problems have to be fixed the answers was NO they cannot, then I had to persuaded the staffs that all of these were able to be fixed as they were installed by human beings.......finally I myself brought the staff from front office to open the light control box and tried the button each by each to get lighting........the worst and most horrible one was that the F&B manager misunderstood and shouted and insulted my guest when my guest showed unsatisfied with the service........ I met the so-called GM, but he told me I had to understand that the staffs were at lower level and were not as well trained as we expected, and he told me I had to understand the situation - like previously this hotel was a high level club only opened to extremely wealthy or powerful moguls and governors and all staffs were well maintained with good benefits due to good revenue but now it changed and opened to common guests due to government issuing new policies and we common guests had to accept the lower level service because the rate was not as high as before - how rediculous!!!! That's also why the hotel was originally designed, built and furnished very well with pretty good materials in Chinese traiditional style, there are delicate carvings on the precious wooden furnitures, fine stitchwork pictures on the wall, and the nice courtyard ..........but now there is no maintenance or training, the buildings have problems everywhere, walls surface and pillar painting start peeling off inside and outside, cracks growing, cables and lines are messed up, linens are dirty and damp, and especially staffs with horribly negative attitude and when you asked them to fix problems, they complainted about their low benefits and lacking of manning so that they could not fix problems etc.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Monica X
Reviewed 22 September 2014

Very good room facilities with traditional Chinese style, but with terrible service and attitude. I heard the attendants including managers always curse guest behind their back. Problem solving skill is poor!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family