“Dirty room and bad service”

Zhan Qiao Prince Hotel
Ranked #31 of 1,659 Hotels in Qingdao
Hong Kong, China
“Dirty room and bad service”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I travelled to Qingdao with a Chinese colleague in April 2012, and we had heard that this hotel should be good. We arrived rather late and the check-in was a 20 minute test of my patience. First of all staff spoke no English, at least not enough to be able to ask questions in a civilized manner. They also chraged a deposit of the double of what the room charge would be, and even if I tried to ask several times (even my Chinese colleague asked) why the deposit was so high we never got an answer. Anyway.

Room was quite dark and very cold. The week we were in Qingdao it was about 13-15 C degrees outside. The AC was only with Chinese characters, so I tried a while to find some heat, but failed. Now was about midnight and I needed some heat in the room before I could sleep so I called the reception. The night staff did however not understand what I was asking, so the conversation ended we me having booked a morning call. So I had to sleep in the cold.

In addition, the first thing I see on the already spotted and rather dirty wall-to-wall carpets was a BIG insect trampled in to the carpet next to the bed. I tried to carefully remove it, but the fluids of it had already dried in to the carpet, so it was just stuck. This was maybe only one room, but I still got a pretty dirty feeling just being there. Dirty and cold.

Breakfast. I am a great fan of Chinese food. But in the morning hot dishes are too much for me. What was left then was some small selection of salad and fruit. There is also an egg station, where the eggs are nicely prepared when you have made your order understood.

We stayed two nights, and also my colleague was rather disappointed. We will go to Qingdao again in two weeks time and she has already promised we will stay at Shangri-La this time.

The hotel is run down, my room was dirty, and service was sometimes non-existent.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay here, remember the rooms have no heating, so bring extra clothes if you c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank k-daniel-a-sweden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed in this historic hotel for a long weekend. The location is very good, right at the seafront promenade, close to the Qingdao Pier, the train station and the old city centre (this makes parking a little bit of an issue). We had a modern sea view room on the top floor, nice and clean, apart from the bathroom which was a little bit smelly. Breakfast was very typical for a Chinese hotel in this category, not bad but also nothing to write home about. Service is also ok; everything gets done, but only after you ask couple of times. Overall an ok experience, would stay again due to location an value for money. But don't expect to much.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gest26
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I would preface this review by explaining that I have lived in China for two years and have done a reasonable amount of travelling to a fair number of Chinese towns and cities of various sizes. Therefore I am fully aware of Chinese attitudes to noise and customer service.

So to begin with, the good points. The hotel has a great location, right opposite the Zhanqiao pier, as made famous on the Tsingtao beer label. Attractions such as the German prison (good but not great visit) and the former Governor's house (well worth a visit) in walking distance. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and a nice promenade to walk along next to the beach.

The hotel itself does indeed have a direct view across the sea. It is elegantly decorated inside and the rooms are clean and well appointed. The breakfast is a regular Chinese breakfast buffet also featuring enough western staples for those that don't enjoy duck breast, congee, dumplings, etc.

At this point, you're probably wondering why this review is only a three star. Well, sadly the hotel and our stay was let down by a fairly significant problem. At 07:45 on Sunday morning, we were awoken by an incredibly loud petrol-driver lawnmower being used directly outside our room. Far too loud for the double-glazed windows, or our continued sleep. As I say, China is home, so such an occurrence is not that rare. I did call the operator to request that this would be stopped and was assured that it would be. Sadly it continued for another 45 minutes at least. Of course then it finished and there was no longer any noisy work to be done after the more reasonable time of 08:30.

At check-out I wanted to make a complaint, to give the hotel a chance to make things a little better. Even an apology would have been an improvement on the response. From a good grasp on English, the three receptionists suddenly didn't understand the word 'complaint' or even in Chinese! And there was no manager in the hotel I could speak to. So, the only come-back I have is to offer this review. There were plenty of other hotels nearby and I would recommend taking a chance with one of these, rather than the Zhanqiao Prince, since they have proven an inability to provide either a good night's sleep (quite important for a hotel) or any degree of customer service when they make a mistake.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank AlwaysNearWalls
Germany/UK
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We had a room with a sea view. It was well-sized, clean and comfortable. Internet was of course included. Shortly after arrival a bowl of fruit was delivered to the room - nice touch.
Breakfast was OK and the staff were generally friendly..
The hotel location was very good, just 5 minutes to the railway station by taxi.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian2109
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Stayed here in a seaview room for one night. Great view of the Qingdao Bay, Zhanqiao Pier and Qingdao skyline. The rooms are clean, the staff friendly and the architecture is just impressive!

Built in the 1910s, the facade of the hotel has been well-preserved and well-maintained. But sadly, just like many of Qingdao's cultural icons, the utilization and preservation of the interiors were not very well. I was expecting a more European feel to the rooms and dining areas, but instead found the usual large round tables with lazy susans that the Chinese love to use.

There are Shangri-La, Crowne Plaza and other upscale hotels in the more modern part of Qingdao City, but I like the historic feel of the Zhanqiao Prince Hotel. Our room airconditioning was a bit faulty though. But that's it. It's worth it!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business