All reviews spacious hotel bath vegetables amenities taxi gym city
Reviewed 23 June 2016

I visited this hotel for 8 nights because I was attending an international conference being held there and also attended some post-conference excursions in and around Jinan. I had a wonderfully appointed room on a higher floor with a 6m wide bed. good AC, a luxurious bathroom with separate tub and "rain" shower. The hotel is staffed with many folks to help you get around, and if one of them is not conversant in English, they can find another who is. While many of our meals were served in a room dedicated to our conference, pre and post conference I enjoyed their main breakfast/dinner buffet cafe, where one could find many, many different choices suiting Asian and western tastes. The grounds are beautifully developed, and a pond just outside the buffet cafe is home to black and white swans. When coming from one of the train stations or airport, make sure you printout the hotel name in Mandarin, as "Shandong Hotel" will not mean anything to the taxi drivers. It is better to give them something they can read, rather than risk their trying to understand "Shandong Da Tsah." The magnificent and spacious lobby, internal elevator bank, and lobby level coffee/tea/bar are nice to behold and use. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel!

Date of stay: June 2016
2  Thank JohnTTT
Reviewed 1 June 2016

The rooms are spacious and the bed was surprisingly very comfortable. The lobby is huge and of course the glass elevators are pretty cool (and fast). We were on the top floor which I highly recommend. However, note that wifi is very slow - decent enough to send text messages on but not strong enough to surf the web. They have a huge breakfast buffet spread with various cuisines (mostly Chinese) and ice cream flavors (I definitely ate ice cream at breakfast). The variety is much more impressive than the actual quality of the food but I enjoyed it for the experience regardless, especially since you can sit with a view of the water and swans. The hotel is not located centrally so you do have to take a cab to get to the city center or other attractions (short rides though). There is a small gardens within within a short walk from the hotel that was pretty for a quick stroll around. I would consider staying here again because the hotel itself is lovely (keep in mind you can't compare the top hotels in Jinan to top hotels in NYC/London/etc) but might also prefer a more central location for convenience.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank chihaep
Reviewed 23 May 2016

It is nor very centrally located, but easily reachable by a taxi. Lobby is spacious and beautiful, rooms are also quite big and nice. The breakfast buffet is mostly Chinese, but the Westerner can survive it easily as well :)) staff does not speak English well enough, but is willing to help. I had some problems connecting to WFi, they came and helped.

Room tip: Take a higher floor for a calmer atmosphere
Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank inaite
Reviewed 23 October 2015

I attended a week-long Conference here. Be prepared for the rooms to take your breath away! It has curtains which can automatically be programmed to open once you enter the room. I can stop here and let you discover the rest...

Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank L_a_v_n_l_a_f
Reviewed 16 October 2015

I have been staying in the hotel for a month on business and there are plenty of pluses and minuses. I'm basing this review on the fact that the hotel is promoted as a 5 star international hotel. I have a a couple of months to go and hope this review gets read and some attendance to these matters takes place. The location is good.

Room itself
Firstly the shower area of the bathroom is ingrained mould and decking for flooring to stop you slipping. It feels like showering in a grotty backyard. The airconditioner will not let you set a comfortable temperature - it is always around 27 degrees which is too hot. When you leave the room with the airconditioner on in an attempt to cool it down for your return it is automatically turned off. I have the discomforting feeling that people are coming in my room and turning it off since I leave the key in the door. The carpet is stained, the beds are hard and the movies are not refreshed often enough. The furniture is worn. The pillows menu isn't valid because when you ask for something off it they say they don't have it and offer you the one they do have.

I requested a non smoking room and I got a smoking room on a smoking floor. Every day there's cigarette smoke entering my room. The rooms have very poor soundproofing and are noisy. Especially the floors above and on either side.

The wifi is very poor - slow and regular outages.

The buffet is repetitive and mostly Chinese. There are not enough international food options. I find a limited selection to eat though the buffet is pretty extensive. I stayed in the Central Westin Bund which had a great buffet for a cheaper price with plenty of international options. The vegetables are not washed which may be because of the water but its off putting to chew down on a mouthful of dirt while tucking into some Chinese greens. The coffee is good here though. Ridiculous pricing on coffee and ice cream in the coffee bar. Outrageous.

A compliment to housekeeping staff who show great initiative and deliver little comforts that they can see you need. The restaurant staff could learn from them.

The service is poor at this hotel. It could be due to language. Because none of the staff speak English well they seem fearful to approach. At reception and in the business centre they make a grand effort but I can't believe that a 5 star hotel doesn't have a permanent fluent English speaker at reception and in the business centre, particularly given the number of international conferences they run there.

They lack initiative in the restaurant. Everyday I have to ask for the same things like a teaspoon. They don't provide teaspoons at the coffee station which is very strange. Also the coffee machines don't work nearly every day and I have to start my breakfast waving my arms around and asking for someone to fix the machine. I consider that as a long stay customer I deserve better respect. Also they can only ever give you a newspaper from the day before. Staff in the restaurant don't clear my plates away but they clear the Chinese plates. Doesn't make sense.

Gym
There are several pieces of gym equipment that have said under repair for more than a month. This is very poor. They should be repaired immediately or removed.

Date of stay: September 2015