All reviews star standard breakfast buffet bed and pillows shopping area superior room steamed buns excellent location open the window china trip swimming pool tour group chinese restaurant desk hardware rates subway
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel is very old, the carpets have stains and holes in them. The room permits smoking, and they even provided matches and an ashtray in each room. The rounded window frame gave me a splinter, and paint was chipping out from everywhere on it. The breakfast, however is a whole different story. There is a good amount of variety, and there are fresh dragonfruit and watermelon. Also, when you visit, please try the delicious Kiwi Juice.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2017

We only had one night in this hotel but it wasn't up to the standard of most of the others we stayed in during our China trip. Whilst the room was quite comfortable, the decor is a bit dated. The offerings at breakfast were very average and service was poor in the restaurant. It's well located.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo K
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights recently and I have mixed feelings about it for the following reasons;

Pros
My superior room was a good size, well maintained and clean and had a comfortable bed.
Excellent location; you can walk to many places from the hotel.
The hotel is within walking distance of a subway to get to and from the main train station.
The staff are friendly although not much English is spoken (not that it should be however it would be helpful)

Cons
Smoking is permitted in the hotel and stinks in the corridors. They try to mask the smell with copious amounts of cleaning fluid - which makes it smell worse! This is after China introduced the no-smoking policy!
My room was at the back of the hotel and had 2 double glazed windows which unfortunately did not drown out the bass from the nightclub(s) underneath/in the alley alongside the hotel and was annoying! I was on a high floor too!
The swimming pool was not open and there was no outdoor space to sit when I just wanted to read my book for an hour. So I sat at the front of the hotel and being a 'foreigner' was stared at the whole time I was there.
The hotel was eerily quiet and didn't really have an atmosphere, with no one in the lounge or restaurant on both evenings I was there, or at all through the day to be honest. Although breakfast seemed to attract more people. This hotel seems a hotspot for those staying 1 night whilst on a tour.

While my room was nice the noise from the nightclub(s) and smell of smoke/cleaning products throughout the hotel were a problem for me and for that reason I wouldn't return unless they did something about it.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

We went on a Sinorama tour and all our hotels where great except this one. But this one had a great location for walking, shopping and touring. The fridge didn't work, aircondition didn't work well. There was a window but it opened on to the noisy Main Street. Our room was a little small but the bed had a pillow top which made it very comfortable. Oh and the blow dryer didn't work. They were a little cheap on the breakfast buffet. They didn't refill when trays where almost empty and they had less choice than the other hotels we stayed in. The room was clean and I would stay here again because of the great location.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2017

This hotel was known by other names before, Marco Polo previously.
The best part of this hotel is that it is very centrally located, in the vincinity of the main walking street (观前街) in old Suzhou city area. It is very easily accessible by public transport (less than 100m from LeQiao Subway Station乐桥地铁站), by bus and by taxi.

The down part of this hotel is that it is just a so-so 4 star hotel and it is an old hotel compared to all the 5 star hotels springing up in Suzhou. We found that the restroom floor was wet with pools of water but yet was not able to locate the source.

We stayed for one night and the convenience beats all the slight discomfort we have to deal with.

Would recommend this hotel for its location and value for money.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family