“The best and the worst...”
Review of Champ de Ble

Champ de Ble
Ranked #134 of 819 Restaurants in Suzhou
Price range: USD 25 - USD 50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed 20 April 2013

On my recent business trip to Suzhou, my colleagues found this restaurant on tripadvisor, and we decided to try it, as it was located relatively close to our hotel (Marriott).

First evening we were there was the best experience for our entire travel, the food was excellent and the setting of the restaurant and the service was all you could wish. They do not have any wine card, but you can go and select a wine, from a relatively but good selection. Most of us tried the 4 course menu with some selections and everybody was very happy with their choices. At the end we tried an ice wine with some fantastic dessert choices. This entire evening was 5 stars out of 5.

Because off this great experience, we decided to go back one week later, but it was like a different restaurant. From the first night I remembered the starter of Tuna/Advocado tartar was so good that I wanted to try it again. This was sold out, so I selected Chicken salad, but later found out, that the chicken salad was without any chicken. Could be a bird flu issue, but why wasn't I told? Then later when we wanted to redo the dessert experience, we were told that dessert were sold out! NO desserts available at all. As an explanation, we were told that the chef was not in, only assistant, ad he did not know how to do desserts!!!

This was a big chock to me, and I find as cheating customers - how can we be sure, what to expect, if the chef is only there sometimes?

I highly recommend people to call in and ask if the Chef is there or not, if he is not, choose something else....on the other hand, if he is there, hurry over there, it will be great!

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

The place is cozy and really well designed with different kind of seats and table. There is also a small private room for 4/6 people top.
Service is accurate and professional.
Food is well presented and the menu present a various kind of appetizers and main courses.
Portion are not very big, but the not expensive price justifies this.
Strongly suggested for anybody is coming to Suzhou.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

My partner and I went to Champ de Ble for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The setting is very simple and appealing. Fresh roses and candles on tables made it very romantic and pleasant. The appetizers were delicious. We shared the salmon salad and Ahi Tuna avocado salad. Both were artisticly presented and DELICIOUS! Our mains include lobster spaghetti, which included 1/2 of a small lobster and Wagyu beef tenderloin. Both were excellent and tasty. Desserts of chocolate pie and ice cream were good. The chef Yamamoto was great and our waitress Eva was very attentive. Overall, we LOVED our meal and left very satisfied. Next time we're in Suzhou we will definitely eat here.

2  Thank sunshine36NewDelhi
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have been there a few times and I must say that I really enjoy this restaurant.
The atmosphere is romantic and calm. The music is quite entertaining. Their cuisine is delicious and I like their specialities especially the roasted chicken breast. Besides, the wine provided was not so bad and the prices are quite affordable ( 40-200 RMB).

2  Thank Desirez K
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I had dinner at Champ de Blé and it was delightful. The place is charming and peaceful (although a little hard to find). I had a beef carpaccio and roasted chicken, the plates looked amazing and the food was really tasty. The wine was perfect. And surprisingly, it wasn't so pricey : around 300 RMB for 2 people.
I would really recommend this place for a romantic night, or to celebrate a birthday. And I will definitely invite my clients there next time.

1  Thank John297442