“A temple worth visiting”

Gude Temple of Hankou
Ranked #17 of 292 things to do in Wuhan
Reviewed 1 September 2015

We went to visit this temple on Sunday in the morning. Luckily at this time it was pretty empty and we could explore this temple in depth. I liked very much the combination of lotus growing there and this unique architecture. Worth visiting!

Reviewed 5 August 2015

Gude Temple is a bit of a hard find, but once you get off Toudao metro station, you have two options:

1. Weave your path through the narrow alleys and walkways between apartment complexes in the general direction of the location.
2. Walk around the main street, turn again, and find the Wuhan Art high school - red color - the temple is right next to it.

The temple itself is quite unusual, as it has got a mix of religions going, and my wife who is a Buddhist herself was a bit confused until she found the right statue... otherwise - the temple is well made, and pleases the eye, especially considering the neighboring surroundings.

The place is clean, and well taken care of, and unlike the other two big temples in the city - Gude Temple is not very crowded; allows for a nice sit and think, especially if you're not in a hurry.

The entry was just 8 RMB per adult. A bargain for what you get to see.

3  Thank Cheburek
Reviewed 30 June 2015

I have mixed feelings about this place. The architecture is very interesting, but they're building this new temple right next to it and not bothering to try and make it fit in with the slightly older architecture of the previous building. It's going to be pretty ugly, at least what I could see of the construction so far. I might have only seen it at the halfway point, so go by more recent reviews/photos to decide if you want to visit this place. I went in summer 2013. The inside of the temple is beautiful. The wind goes through and makes the banners hung from the ceilings twist and turn. You can't sit down anywhere in the temple, I wanted to sit on a stairway entering one of the temples so I could do a sketch of it more easily and they asked me politely not to. Don't go on a really hot day!!!!! I went when it was sweltering, it was awful. It's also hard to find, at least it was for me. If I recall correctly the subway station that was usually right next to it was closed for construction, so I had to walk quite a ways. Or maybe the temple is just quite far from the station. I was there in the summer of 2013, it might all have changed by now, China's landscape usually does that. This is definitely not a hot tourist spot or anything. there weren't any other people there when I went, just a few elderly praying. Please be respectful of the worshipers and don't take photos if they ask you not to, and the ones you do take please keep it classy, don't touch the idols or decorations. The entrance fee is something small like 15 yuan, and you can buy incense sticks to burn in the very ornate and interesting looking incense burners. I wish there was an english speaking guide, my chinese wasn't good enough to ask about the historical/religious details.

Reviewed 23 May 2015

Well, if you will come there by taxi, or with crowded tourist bus, you will not feel the place. We suggest you to take a metro and get off on the nearest station, which is Tou Dao street, and have a quick 10 minutes walk through the district.

After that, when you will discover the temple, you will think - this is a brilliant, hidden in this scary place.

8 rmb for the ticket (not sure what other prices mean) including 3 sticks.
When you will see those buildings, you just will keep on asking yourself, where am I - is it Vietnam or India, Spanish small town or I'm lost somewhere in Latin America. Incredible architecture, a very interesting mix of european gothic cathedral and traditional buddist temple. Flowers, birds, singing monks - even this place is small, it is worth to visit.