See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

We spent a few days at the Backpackers place which we enjoyed very much. The weather is always nice, staff very friendly and room fine. Bathroom was kinda small and could use a renovation though.
The location is very convenient since it is a 5 minute walk to the closest beach (Dadongai Bay) Maybe I was expecting to much but it was a bit of a dissapointment. The boulevard and restaurants are all old and rusty and the whole costal line is complety filled with big flats or flats onder construction. The beach itself is fine, nothing to special.
I did hear that Yalong bay is beautiful, clean and almost empty so I would definitly recommend to check that out. I will probably never come back to Sanya and Hainan since it still needs a lot of work to be really the Hawai of China and there are way more beautiful beaches to be found in Indo, Cambodia, Thailand etc.. If you are planning to go to Hainan to relax a few days in between your China trip (like I did), don't expect to much.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2015

We spent 5 days in Sanya. We arrived at the hostel and were so glad that we decided for this place. The Lobby is such a cool chill Zone where u can have some nice Drinks , listen to Music and Play pool. Our room was super clean, the bed was comfortable and we had an amazing balcony. The most amazing Thing was the staff. we can not Forget how they helped us in everything and made this trip to one of the best trips of our lives, they took care of us and we felt like this is our Family!!! Germany loves you guys and we will definetly come back <3 !!!
Donny, Finn, Thomas

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2015

Took me 47 hours to get here from Guangzhou (typhoon getting in the way; Glasgow to Pitcairn might have been quicker) but who cares now.

Ena, Maggie, Seven & Fiona - lovely friendly staff -
the comfy rooms, the chilled out 'surf-buddy' courtyard with bar&pool, palmfringely tucked into a nice quiet alleyway just steps from noodleshops, minimarts, bars (e.g. Dolphins just around the way is host to great live Filipino music, decent pool table, good drinks/burgers/mex promos); shoes off at the entrance... Hey hey man (or woman) this is the perfect antidote for RRRRR may-yo, may-yo travel connections.

I'd originally booked a dorm bed for the previous night - which obviously with suspended ferryboat-choppy-waves-no-go services I was unable to use. On eventual arrival there were no dorm beds left - only one double room which is normally above a single dorm-surfer's budget. They compromised - stay first night in the double - switch to a couple more nights in the dorm - won't go into pricing details, but effectively flexible and accommodating with no fuss, both parties happy. So many places in China where frontdesk seems there primarily to count kuai instead of welcoming guests or provide useful travel/excursion information. Thank you, good people.

And another good thing, re security: the Colombian guys jumped up & said, "We go to Dolphins"; I leapt up, leaving laptop&knapsack behind; the girls knew. When I got back at 2am, shoes off at door, no evidence of my stuff, no need for unease: safely delivered to my bedside table. Excellent service, ladies. Feichang xie xie.

Date of stay: October 2015
Reviewed 24 July 2015

This was one of the best places I have ever stayed for how friendly everyone was and this means a great deal to me as a traveller. The rooms are so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor!!!! I cannot thank them enough

Room tip: ground floor room was beautiful
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2015

I stayed here for a couple of nights in a single room - it was clean and not too cramped with a small sofa and coffee table which was a nice touch. The overall feel of the place is awesome and laid back with surfboard stall to greet you on entrance and a nice bar area with a pool table. However the people managing it at the time didn't seem to capture the vision I think the owners would have set it up with. No diving guru's or friendly Singaporians as mentioned in previous reviews - and although the Chinese staff were friendly enough the language barrier meant I really had to find my own way around and things to do. Despite a sign on the lobby desk with numerous things to hire including a bicycle for 60 yuan a day - I was told there are no bikes to hire as they have just been sold. If this is the case it's a real loss for the backpackers as those kinds of small touches can really make someones stay. Luckily it's in a great location and walking distance to most places with reasonably priced taxi's constantly buzzing around. One tip however is to always tell the taxi drivers to put the meter on. All in all a nice stay - but expect to find your own things to do.

Room tip: Single room was a good choice.
Date of stay: July 2015