“A great family resort with fantastic service”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #23 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 25 May 2012

It is definately worth to get a sea view room. These rooms have the entire view of the bay. Get a room higher than 6th floor.
The pools are great. The free form pools are huge and the beach is very private indeed.
Game rooms and planet trakkers are a great place to go if it is raining or you are tired of swimming.
You need to get club intercontinental if possible. When we were there they have a singer there and the mood was great.
Breakfast at the mediterano restaurant was of high quality, worth every penny.
Service is impecable, staff is friendly and always willing to help.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms a must. Splurge on club intercontinental.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Chow Tien W
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the views from the room and the Resort facilities. As you say we have one of the best Club Intercontinentals in Asia and I am glad that you enjoyed the live music and atmosphere. I will pass on your comments to our team regarding the friendly and enthusiastic service you experienced. Again thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Sanya Resort and we hope to welcome you back soon. Geoffrey Ryan

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed at IC Sanya from May 20 to 22nd.
I am a regular client of Intercontinental Hotels, especially in China, where I live for the last 11 years, and hotels matching professional service and attitude are not easy to find, out of Shanghai or Beijing.
From the 21 Intercontinental Hotels in China, I already stayed with 14,some newer, other older, but the same consistency in service,... except this IC Sanya.
I have mixed feelings about my stay, as I met some very attentive and professional staff, but also the very opposite!!
Following some troubles we had during our short stay, Mr Geoffrey Ryan, General Manager of the property, came to inquire about it ,and we had a nice talk.
I thank Mr Geoffrey Ryan for his attentive kindness, and , to send us back to the airport with his car.
As I mentioned, I found little or no consistency on services and staff attitude, and poor English understanding in general.
We booked a rate called” IN THE KNOW PACKAGE”, from the IC website.
The rate description itself is rather confusing, not to mention the name!!!

"Free daily breakfast for 2 adults One noontime dimsum taste at sea pavilionor one set dinner in Beer Factory with 48 hour in advance for reservation One afternoon tea in Hai Lounge Offer voucher of RMB 500 as credit in food and beverage use but consumption RMB300 can use one coupon value at RMB100 ".....confusing!!

With this rate we get 5 RMB 100, coupons, each for more than RMB 300 F&B consumption.
I tried to use it at the Sea Pavilion Chinese restaurant, and it was refused.
As nobody speaks a word of English in this restaurant, and the restaurant is far from the main building I had to wait someone with English knowledge to claim, that finally arrived and confirmed I was right.
But then gave me to sign, the bill without the coupon rebate amount, kept the coupon with her, and said I would later find the coupon deducted at check-out. I insisted on the nonsense of that, as in such situation,as rebate was not in the bill, I only had to show the coupons at check-out, and rebate on total F&B consumption amount, not case by case.
She was confused, insisted that I should sign, which again I refused, so she printed another bill without any description but the total amount, as street food stalls do.
How to use these coupons must be clear both for customers and staff.
The darkest episode of my stay. We ordered a taxi to go to a restaurant at Dadonghai Bay, we where given an hotel card, with the name of the restaurant in Chinese but no address or Phone number.
On the way ,the taxi driver, received a call, stopped and push us out, not unusual in Sanya (I can’t see how China will turn Hainan into a serious International Resort with this general dishonest attitudes of tourism industry players, such as taxis, restaurants,guides and others).
As nobody knew the restaurant address, I called the hotel to asked for the restaurant’s phone number.
Firstly, I couldn’t find anybody with reasonable English. Then I received a call back, from the Duty Manager , with a not proper attitude, also very common in China, of not admitting the hotel didn’t have the said number, pushing me to come back the hotel, with a taxi he would send me, losing my time, with the classic “please wait a moment”, calling again and again and finally an hour later send me an hotel car to take me to restaurant. When we arrived they asked the restaurant for their phone number!!
They offered to come again and pick us up, but I was not happy and refused it, so we went back by taxi.
In China I’ve seen big changes and gigantic improving, everywhere.
I stay an average of 4/5 nights a month at the Intercontinental Shanghai Expo, a hotel that turned into Ghost, at the end of the Expo 2010, despite of the incredible location and facilities.
Today is one of the busiest Luxury Hotels in Shanghai.
I praise Mr Larry Lv, Executive Assistant Manager of IC Shanghai Expo,for the amazing job he did with the staff attitude, pride and motivation, that made this true.
I’m sure Mr Geoffrey Ryan, is working hard on this, as indeed IC Sanya is nice Hotel in a beautiful location, with very tasty food, excellent resort facilities, but still lacks of professional “software”.

Mario Costa

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mariomacau

Dear Mr Costa
Thank you choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner and to receive your feedback regarding your stay. It is through loyal and concerned guests like yourself that help our team to improve our services. As you point out you experienced some challenges with our recent promotional package. We have since doubled our training to ensure there are no further misunderstandings. I have also increased training with our Concierge team so that all our guests are given full details of the external restaurants they are visiting. We appreciate your nice comments about our Resorts's beautiful location , tasty food and excellent facilities. I hope to welcome you and Elena back to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. Thank you again .Geoffrey Ryan

Reviewed 8 May 2012

This property is great, though unfortunately not located at the prettiest stretch of the ocean beach front in Sanya. Multiple restaurants/bars, different pool areas (one is heated), a game room, and various room types/configurations, a resort representative of the Intercontinental name. We were generously upgraded to a club villa (though it may not be as exclusive or private as some sophisticated resort travelers may be used to) as a PCR Royal Ambassador, which afforded us an outdoor patio area complete with a cabana, shower head, and a small square pool. We had some issues with the outdoor lighting in our unit, but the maintenance crews worked hard to correct the deficiencies, though it took a long time. The Club space and food offerings in the evening (made-to-order pasta) were excellent, too bad my travel companion insisted on going to the regular buffet for breakfast (which was quite disappointing in terms of service and selection). The feel of this resort was entirely different than that of the Sanya Renaissance, the sense of grandeur does not exist here and there are rocky patches along most of the shallow beach areas out front, so if your primary focus is on the sand/beach, then perhaps there are other hotels more suited for that.

Room Tip: the villa is nice but is not a true single detached private space
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
GeoffreyDalian, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear RM_1272

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for your recent vacation. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed all the benefits from your Ambassador status , in particular our Club Intercontinental. We have noted your comments regarding our breakfast restaurant and will continue to improve as you have suggested. We very much appreciate your feedback and hope that you return to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort soon. Geoffrey Ryan

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I recently stayed here for a short 3 day vacation after working at the Canton fair in Guangzhou. It was a short flight, about an hour. It was really a perfect stay. The weather was great, even though the forecast called for rainshowers. The resort is amazing. Huge resort, with good selection of restaurants, huge pools, and really nice beach. The property is right on the beach, so the view was amazing too. Because I have the ambassador card, they upgraded me to an insanely nice room. The staff were all very attentive to any requests I had, and even the General Manager was there to greet myself and other guests at any time of the day and ensure we were all taken care of. They had a good selection of cigars, which is hard to find at lots of resorts and hotels. The massages were amazing too, after a hard day of suntanning and jetskiing. I travel to many beachside resorts and would definitely recommend this one to all of my friends. I took a look at some other resorts in sanya, and most are along a crowded beach in Yalong bay whereas the Intercontinental is alone on its own beach in a much more private bay. I will definitely be coming back everytime I am in China, or especially if I am in Guangzhou at the Canton fair. Thanks very much Geoffrey and all the staff at Intercon Sanya. See you again soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Alexander M
Great to hear that you enjoyed visiting the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for the second time. It is always our pleasure to welcome back our return guests to our big family. Yes we do have a great range of cuban cigars, in fact we just installed a huge humidor in our Beer Factory so we will be increasing our range even further. I will pass on your kind comments to our ladies in the Spa regarding your massage experience. They will be happy to hear it. Thanks again Alexander and please come back to sunny Sanya soon. Geoffrey Ryan

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We were a 3 generation family on a short break. The hotel is sprawling so was not the best for my elderly parents. While buddies are provided to shuttle us around the resort, there was always going to be a fair bit of walking to do.
Good points - excellent staff attitude to service (hampered by our lack of Mandarin and their lack of English skills, other than at the receptions), room was more than comfortable and perfectly taken care of, wi-fi was available everywhere just about, the "diving tank" was unique and great fun, Sea Pavilion restaurant was great.
What could have been better - Kids activities were a little disappointing, possibly due to being low season when we went, could have done with a fan on the excellent balconies, water in the pools could have been cleaner.
Cannot stress enough how the staff tried everything to get things right for us though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyDalian, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Kindaok
Thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for your recent vacation. I remember your big family and talking to your lovely parents . Our team will be delighted to hear your positive feedback regarding their service. We do have a large resort as you mentioned and it is important that we provide a convenient buggy service particularly for elderly or less mobile people. Our team has increased the pool cleaning during the summer season so that the water quality is crystal clean. Thanks again for your comments as it helps us to focus on what is most important for our valued guests. We look forward to welcoming your family back to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. Geoffrey Ryan