All reviewssmall supermarket across the roadspecial thanksthe ritz carltonbusiness hotelluggagemissiongymfacilitiesairporttaxiguests
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I have reservations in writing this review. As a business Hotel the Renaissance would be wonderful, however as a family orientated tourist hotel it didn't quite hit the mark.

The staff were wonderful especially CC and Whippy in the club lounge.

When we arrived at the hotel we had booked one room with 2 beds for 4 people, however we were given one bed for four people. With two children with us we were then given a smoking room which had definitely been smoked in. We were then moved again to our room, which we had booked to start with.

The hotel has a pool which though small easily accommodated both hotels that used it. The breakfast was more than adequate and the staff at breakfast once again were lovely. It is well worth joining Marriott Rewards for the little touches such as a quiet area in the breakfast room.

There are a number of restraunts in the adjoining shopping area and a small supermarket across the road.

Check out was an easy and pleasant experience with genuine questions being asked about how the stay was.

The tourist side of the hotel was lacking. There was one tourist map which was mostly in Chinese and very little other tourist information at the hotel. The Renaissance had what is called a navigator service where staff are able to be guides to local information, however with many staff not understanding English, misdirections were given. For example to go to the Old Street we were told to walk 5 minutes down the road but it was a 30 minute taxi drive away.

There is a shuttle that runs into the city but not part of the hotel. The hotel had information on this only in Chinese. They did have an electronic version with English could not print it out only the chinese version. The actual shuttle stop has a board in English so we just took a photo of this.

The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from the city and 20 minutes from the airport. The hotel however does not have taxis standing by. They call a taxi that comes from the city and you start paying from the time of the call even though it may take 30 minutes for the taxi to arrive. If you are a family of more than 4 or have lots of luggage it may be difficult getting to and from the airport as vans or larger cars are difficult to access and virtually non-existent. The hotel can arrange transport but needs 24 hours notice.

There are several minor things that the hotel can do for the family tourist that would make a big difference. This would include English information and easier transport options to enable tourists to explore the surrounds.

The area around the hotel has a number of shops which have not opened yet and a Wet and Wild opening later this year.

Be aware of taxis ripping you off. We had the taxi meter not working scam on the way from the Airport and the taxi driver demanding 3 times the normal fare. We also had another one that took the long way into the city to double the fare.

I normally change my currency at the Airport to have money for the taxi or get it out of the ATM. Unfortunately at the Haikou Airport the currency exchange person when on dinner for an hour when the flight arrived and the ATM is a local one that did not allow for overseas bank access. You can change US dollars at an automated exchange machine but not AU Dollars.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
MarCom-Dept, Manager at Renaissance Haikou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Craigv01,

Thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel during your recent visit to Haikou. We are appreciated your valuable feedback.
We are very concerned to learn that your time in Haikou was not as interesting as expected. Your valued feedback will certainly assist us in improving in areas you felt we fell short of your expectations. We have reviewed your comments with our team in detail to ensure we make immediate improvements to these.
Thank you again for your comments, as it is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improve both our products and quality of services.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

It was my first visit for three nights at Renaissance Haikou.

Good side:
-The hotel facilities and guest rooms were new and quite stylish.
- Hotel room was spacious, plenty of wardrobe and helpful in-room amentities
- Great balcony with an uninterrupted view overlooking the Mission Hills golf course
- All towels were soft and comfortable
- Bed mattress and linen were ok
- Buffet breakfast was ok with good selection of food and drink but food quality was average.
- Renaissance Hotel guest could gain free access to the gym and outdoor pool at Ritz Carlton next door. Gym was small but range of machine and equipment were decent. Outdoor pool was nice.
- It took around 30 min drive to Meilan International Airport.
- Just 3 min walk to a new shopping complex nearby with various restaurants and cuisine. Most of the shops were vacant and had not opened yet.

Upset side:
- The floor of hotel room was not cleaned. Could see hair in the bathroom floor and carpet near the bed clearly
- Hotel room price could be much more expensive if booking in last minute, over 60% higher than its regular price. Do book in advance.
- An unpleasant incident was happened. Upon check in, I presented my credit card for payment, I told a front desk staff that I would pay for my friend's room who will check in at midnight and told front desk not to get payment from my friend.

On next day morning, my friend approached me and complained the front desk asked and charged on her credit card, also complained the room cost was high.

Same day afternoon, I had to go back to front desk to bring this up and the duty manager stepped into resolve the payment.

Overall hardware of hotel, like facilities were in good condition, however the quality and attentiveness of service were not quite met the expectation under the Renaissance brand.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
JennyOu2016, Assistant Director Of Rooms at Renaissance Haikou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2018

Dear CarmenBD01,
Thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel during your recent visit to Haikou. We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback.
We are very concerned to learn the unpleasant experience during your stay. Please rest assures we will look immediately into the matters with the teams concerned. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have caused you.
We greatly appreciate if we can be in contact with you directly to personally apologize for the service rendered to you and also would like to learn more details so as to enable us to make the corrective actions immediately.
Please contact us at my e-mail address jenny.ou@marriott.com.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Exemplary Concierge service with Felix the most dependable Concierge staff who’s always going beyond his call of duty in helping us to book a larger than usual taxi to transport three of us including 3 large luggages to the nearby Haikou Melian International Airport and patiently guided us on express shipment of parcels more than twice. He even texted us to check whether the taxi driver brought us to the airport for us to board our flights on time! Felix really made the difference for Renaissance Haikou.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences during your stay with us.

I am sorry to read that your time in Haikou was not as interesting as expected. Thank you also for your specific comments on what you liked and disliked while staying with us. I have shared these with our team. Your valued feedback will certainly assist us in improving in areas you felt we fell short of your expectations, while the positive comments you expressed on some of our team members is always motivating.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

In contrast, the front desk check in and the buffet breakfast were huge letdowns. When you are checking in, go for for the ladies manning the check in counters who would likely give you better rooms and avoid Daniel the sloppy front desk guy like the plaque who lied to me thrice giving misinformation about my room, my package and my ticket collection. Don’t ever trust this lazy fella who never ever fulfil any of your requests and lies to his own convenience will expend your time and energies unnecessarily. Also, skip the miserable breakfast unless you don’t mind being squashed by the local freeloaders.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

I came to this hotel for one night after a disappointing stay in downtown Haikou, without knowing what to expect other than it was near some golf courses, in an area called Mission Hills, and sharing some facilities with an adjacent Ritz Carlton, both from Marriott chain. It turned out to be a really pleasant find, one of joys of travelling solo to explore with flexible itinerary.

The hotel is in a newly developed residential and recreational area of Haikou, between airport and downtown. Nowhere I saw any mention that it was also adjacent to a huge open mall, lined with palm trees, coffeeshops, bars, restaurants, cinema complex, and dancing fountains ! The place can easily be mistaken for Florida or southern California except the restaurants would offer from Chinese to German fare, with Korean and Pizza Hut in between ! A perfect place to chill out for a few days to enjoy the residual November warm.

The hotel is a real hidden gem. Its exterior was rather non descriptive, but with a very well designed and inviting lobby, all marble and wood. The decor of the room in particular was perfect to my taste, along simple Scandinavian lines, predominately light coloured wood throughout, I mean all real wood, with some intricate and yet simple details. In fact so attractive that I took many pictures to help with the refurbising of our own place one day. Service and staff all excellent, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Dear Lonestar64,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences on your stay with us. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable and relaxing time with us and we look forward to welcome you back when your travels will bring you back to Haikou.

Warm Regards,