Review Highlights
Highly recommended tour!

I booked a 1/2 day floating village tour, and then full day hidden Angkor tour, both with Ale. Ale... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Joey Q
Los Angeles, California
Amazing Experience

What a fantastic trip to Siem Reap and a wonderful 4 days spent with Chris and Tom. I visited with... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
ChrisTodd23
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

All reviews photo tour these guys street photography great shots camera settings local language photography skills speak khmer auto mode experienced photographer amateur photographer night photography lighting conditions compact camera market sellers love photography different perspective
Reviewed 29 March 2016

I did a private half-day tour of Angkor with Régis in March 2016. It was an amazing experience and the highlight of my entire visit to Cambodia!

Régis took me to several temples, including many which were off the beaten path where we were the only visitors. The photos I took were stunning.

I learned so much from Régis — both in terms of photography, as well as daily life in Cambodia. Although I am a proficient photographer with a DSLR, Régis taught me many useful and practical tips which I will use in the future. I could already see an improvement in my photo skills by the end of the tour.

Régis is not only a great photographer and tour guide, but also he is a nice guy. So friendly and helpful.

Thank you again to Régis for this great experience! I will have very fond memories of this day. I recommend this trip wholeheartedly.

Perfect 5/5

Shawn

Reviewed 26 March 2016

Thanks again Ale, I’ve been taking lots more photos, all in manual since the tour! And a few seconds of thinking about white balance, iso, apparture then shutter speed, I’m getting great results without fumbling around guessing at settings. Many things have clicked since the workshop, I should have done something like this years ago! Best.

Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

We recently completed the Hidden Angkor tour with Chris and had a great experience. Starting early to catch sunrise we were taken to the perfect spot to start the day and visited a number of temples on and off the beaten track.

Chris was helpful and pointed out lots of good photo opportunities whilst teaching us more about our camera. We were able to enjoy the day at our own pace without feeling rushed and managed to avoid the crowds. Chris tailored the route once he knew our preferred style, camera experience and what we wanted to get out of the day.

Not only did we come away with lots of great shots but we all learnt a lot that we can continue to apply to our photography in future.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

I have always wanted to learn how to use a camera properly. After looking at other Tripadvisor comments and their photographs, and then comparing their results to other tour photography companies, it was a no-brainer. I booked a two-day tour via email, and this started a good rapport with Chris Cusick. During the tour, not only did I learn a lot, I had a really good laugh. Chris is patient, and explains the workings of the camera in a non-patronizing manner. He is certainly committed to his art, and encourages you to realize what can be achieved through photography.

The first day was from sunrise to sunset at Angkor Wat. Chris took me to the less crowded places, and timed it so we could avoid the masses. During the long day, I was given the opportunity to appreciate how natural light changes during the day, and with it, how to optimally use the camera to capture those fleeting moments. Different locations provided working examples to demonstrate the fundamentals of manual mode. It was interesting to return to using the view finder. Chris taught me what the fancy science-y stuff meant which was being displayed on the monitor. Now I know what those squiggly histograms mean! There were many “a-ha!” moments.

The next day, we went to the local market which was in stark contrast to Angkor Wat. We ventured inside a poorly lit market place, which surprisingly presented us with a feast of photo opportunities. There were many stalls; raw fish and meat were being prepared alongside hair salons. People were having breakfast around makeshift eateries. And all this under one roof, and dim lighting. Despite these conditions, Chris taught me how to adjust the manual settings to capture some interesting images. Just as our luck would have it, there was a power shortage, and the market was darkened even further. Stall owners casually switched on torches, and lit candles. Glints of light strained through soiled windows in the corrugated roof. This changed the whole scene even further to which Chris was still able to provide guidance to get even more compelling images. Later we visited a monastery and met a couple of monks to chat with. They were happy to let me take photos of them with their family of cats!
In the afternoon, we went to one of Siem Reap’s floating the village (which wasn’t really floating at this time of year…) It was another assortment of scenes; a wedding ceremony was on the way, children were happily playing in the dusty road, and a barber was trimming a man’s hair. And further down the road, school children were standing to attention just as the national flag was hoisted.

The weather was searingly hot, and I spent two days looking like Spongebob. But it was genuinely worth it. I have come away with a lot of inspiration and a set of new skills. I’m in total agreement with the other Tripadvisors.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

We spent the entire day with Alessandro from before sunrise to after sunset. During that time we visited many great places for photography, beginning at Angkor Wat for the classic sunrise shot. We got there very early and headed directly for the lake to set up. When we go there, there were already people three deep. Instead of pushing our way in, Alessandro quickly directed us to a lesser known lake. We were first there and got the optimum spot. We ended up with great shots.

We then visited Ta Prohm which is known for its symbiotic relationship with nature. He deftly brought us to the best spots for interesting photography. Later in the day while the sun was at its harshest, he rented a couple of monks for us that resulted in really nice staged shots. This is something I would not have done on our own. We ended the day at Banyon Temple for some great Buddha shots. All in all, a fantastic day of shooting,

Alessandro's style of mixing some technology with art was perfect for us. I couldn't recommend him enough! It was definitely a 5-star experience and one I look to repeat in the future.

Date of experience: February 2016