“Home away from home”

Heritage Suites Hotel
Ranked #29 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

My partner & I were totally blown away by this awesome hotel. Everything from the moment we touched down at the airport till our last day, Heritage did not fail to impress us. First they had arranged a pick up from the airport. Unfortunately we were no aware and we had already made some prior arrangement. Next, we had reserved a deluxe room, but when we first entered the room, it was so big there was even a big bathtub in the middle. We were then inform that the deluxe room is under some minor reno and the hotel has upgraded us to a bungalow suite. Thank u very much. The daily breakfast is a-la-carte buffet. All portions are intentionally in small sizes so you get to try all of them. Service wise, it is the best so far i had encountered. There is a handwritten welcome note from the manager, Magnus. All staffs are so happy and eager to greet you with their beautiful smile. Even when you are sunbathing in the pool, the staff will quietly place a glass of ice cold water on the table next to you. I had never encounter such service fm any hotel. Lastly, as my departing flight is evening 2230hr, they allow us to late check out not the usual 2 or 3 pm but 6 pm! So, thank u very much to the management n staffs of Heritage Suites Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Adam_Ong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel and I liked everything about it.

Positive points: we stayed in a bungalow, which was absolutely lovely and very “design”. It is an open space with a sitting area, a sleeping corner with a large bed, a lovely bathtub in the “open door” bath area, shower inside and outside. The hotel is lovely, with a colonial feeling about it. The entrance is fenced, with parking space for a few cars; the spa is located next to the entrance. The reception area is set in a nice white building, together with the restaurant (with tables on two levels) and bar. Moving inside, there is a pavilion with rooms on two levels and the shop.

Past a low wall, you enter the pool area and then the area with the bungalows, set in a lovely tropical garden. The whole complex is very nicely structured. The lobby and bar are very cosy, and nicely decorated, with local paintings and artefacts. The quality of the artisanal work is truly excellent.
The personnel are helpful and friendly. Among the staff, I would like to mention Mr. Thang who was especially courteous, fast and efficient. The restaurant service is of top quality, and we ate the best food in Siem Reap.

On arrival we were collected from the airport in the “vintage” Benz and it was like taking a trip into the past. Our driver was most courteous, like every other member of this exceptional staff.

The hotel is located a few minutes tuk-tuk drive from the touristy area, and once you've visited it, you'd be glad you are not staying in the most noisy part of the city.

Negative points: just slight drawbacks, and they were in no way detrimental to our stay. The living area in our bungalow was furnished with tiny furniture, a bit uncomfortable for tall people. As shown in the photos, if you are tall you might find the chairs child-size. However, I saw that other rooms have different furniture, so I guess a refurbishment may be under way. We also had a problem with the noise from the water system, but it was fixed immediately.

We had a negative experience with a female guest, who left a diaper filled with her baby's poo on a poolside table, maybe thinking it is OK to have poo next to drinks and snacks, but this has nothing to do with the hotel, only with other guests disregard to basic hygienic rules…

On the whole, it was a most enjoyable experience and I was truly overwhelmed by the style and elegance of the hotel, by the food quality and restaurant service and by the outstanding staff. Most recommended.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

good break from Phnom Penh.
Beautiful garden, spacious and quiet bungalow.
Had a nice discovery of Kbal Spean with heritage-adventures.com

Thanks

Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

You will not be disappointed if you give the Heritage Suites a chance. Although this hotel is ideal for couples, I recently stayed there during a business trip and was extremely happy. The staff is extremely helpful, very friendly, and always willing to assist. Rooms are nicely decorated and were very clean. The food was extremely delicious and well priced. Try one of their unique Cambodian drinks during happy hour. I look forward to my next stay with the Heritage Suites.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BangkokRon
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Short summary:
This is a restful and attractive hotel, with wonderfully welcoming staff and elegant, comfortable suites. I highly recommend it.

Full review:
Reception:
From the moment we arrived, we were treated with warmth and helpfulness. Our bags were whisked away and we were taken straight to our suite to check in. By the time we had completed the process and been shown around our facilities our bags had arrived and we could unpack.

Executive Suite:
We chose to stay in an executive suite, which is spacious and comfortable. On one side we had a sofa and coffee table plus a small table with chairs, and on the other a large double bed leading into the bathroom area – a large free standing bath, a well-lit sink area and a walk in shower, with drench and hand held showers. The whole of the back is floor to ceiling glass, looking out to the private gardens. These have high walls to ensure privacy – which you would want to be sure of, if you were planning to use the outdoor shower, or indeed, indulge in the jacuzzi au naturelle. The cupboard is a reasonable size and the safe is located here along with proper hangers and not those hook kind that suggest that the hotel have assumed you’ll steal them. We had a coffee machine next to our minibar and were kept well stocked with both tea and coffee. Each day a little gift was left on our bed as part of the turndown service. There aren’t any power sockets in the bed side tables, but there is a good supply scattered around the room, including next to the bathroom mirror and in the cupboard. Bottled water was provided daily along with fresh towels and flannels. Aircon is centrally controlled, but you can request control of it for yourself. At night you can separate the bedroom area from the rest of the suite with beautiful sheer white curtains.

Bar and restaurant:
This is right behind reception with modern décor that nods towards colonial. The breakfast selection is all included in the board, but there is still nothing so inelegant as a buffet – oh no, the options are set out for you on a menu. Select your tea or coffee, and enjoy, for example, eggs benedict with your papaya juice and basket of breads, croissants and pain au chocolate. More tea, coffee, juice is no problem – just keep ordering until you are full! If you have any special requests – no salt, no sauce, the staff will take very great care to ensure that they have established your requirements correctly. A few tables are set downstairs and few on the balcony upstairs. These are the same tables used for dinner. As the restaurant is open to anyone, I will review it separately and all I’ll say here is that the food is excellent quality and whilst it is expensive for Cambodia, it is worth it.

Happy hour in the bar – 5-7pm, gets you two cocktails (per person) for the price of one, so your freshly made and mixed cocktails are then the same price as something mass-produced and pre-mixed in Pub Street.

Pool:
The pool area is attractively laid out, with a couple of rather splendid banners suspended high above the pool. Towels are left folded on the beds for you, and free glasses of water brought to your side when you arrive. There are tables set around the pool bar and you can eat or drink there as well as at your sunbed as you prefer.

The Spa:
The spa entrance is right by the front door of the hotel and leads into a leafy courtyard. My husband and I had our treatments side by side, which was very nice. You can keep swim wear on if you wish, but if you choose not to, they are very discreet with the towels  Given the option of soft, medium or hard strength I opted for medium, but probably should have gone for soft as I felt a bit pummelled by the end! It’s fair to say that if I could have piped up half way through, but I’m English and we don’t do stuff like that!

The staff:
I just can’t praise the people working at Heritage Suites highly enough. They were so welcoming and helpful throughout our stay. As we walked to the restaurant for breakfast, everyone we passed wished us a cheery good morning. Staff working in the gardens would stop what they were doing to smile and greet us. As we left to go out, the bar staff would wish us a pleasant day and when we returned and reception staff would all welcome us home. Whatever you asked for or ordered, the staff would make absolutely sure that they understood what you wanted and would bring it to you wherever you wanted it. The service standard clearly comes from the top down, as we were greeted by the manager on our first evening, and when we said that we were a still planning out how and when to visit the temples, he sat down and talked us through the possibilities and gave excellent advice on things we could do. As I have been describing, the hotel is lovely, but the people working there are the icing on the cake and their cheery smiles will stay with me as my enduring memory of my visit to Cambodia, they are absolutely wonderful, without exception.

Wi-fi
Wi-fi is free and available throughout, with different passwords for pool area, bar area and in your suite. (All of which are listed and left in your room you).

What wasn’t good?
I honestly struggle to think of anything that Heritage could have done better. I think the only thing I didn’t enjoy was the singer who turned up on Thursday night. I don’t know if this is a regular thing as it wasn’t advertised that I saw, but I would suggest avoiding as the guy on the trombone didn’t play in tune and it was a little too loud for the space.
I’d prefer it if the enclosed spaces were non-smoking, but mostly people didn’t smoke, so it wasn’t a big deal. I also think it would be nice if the hotel were reserved for adults / children over 14. Cambodia is an odd place to take very young children as the heat is intense, and the real attraction – the temples – wasted on them, but people do and a child shrieking in the pool does detract from the calm of the place. These are minor, minor things and they are all I can come up with.

Room Tip: Executive Suites are well worth the money