Grand Sunset Angkor Hotel
USD 144*
USD 51*
USD 41*
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspub streetpool bar istuk tuklocation was perfectangkor watbeautiful poolinternetmassagecambodiatourwesternersswimmingpool
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We spent 4 nights here in February as part of an intrepid group and loved the place. It is a small to medium size hotel which makes it quite personable. Its location is 10 minutes from the markets, pubs and restaurants, but tuk tuks are ready for hire across the road from the Casa Angkor which cuts the time down to 2 minutes.

Staff was polite, bent over backwards to solve any query or problem, Their english is sometimes a bit average, so it is very worthwhile to make sure they have understood you. However, they love to practice their english (like all Cambodians) and as staff numbers are generous you are never brushed off.

Our room was very clean and the aircon arctic - no complaints there. However, the room faced a wall and was too dark; a few extra globes of higher wattage should solve that problem.
Breakfast had a wide choice of local and western food and provided a good start of the day.
We didn't try the internet or wifi, but were told that around the corner from the hotel is an internet cafe charging 50 cents per hour; also there is laundry nearby charging local (not tourist) prices.
One gripe (and it seems I am not the only one!): the man running the shop in the lobby! He tried to push, and I mean push! indian wares and scarves to us "these are not from bad Cambodian quality, but good Indian quality" ... that didn't go down too well with us and our fellow travellers.
I definitely recommend the Casa Angkor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed here for four nights in February and had been looking forward to it as a bit of luxury at the end of my three weeks in Indochina. What a disappointment. On the surface it looked quite nice - lovely pool and bar area, nice lobby. But, despite the fact I was there for four nights, they put me in a twin room on the ground floor. It was dark, dank, hot (the airconditioner didn't work properly) and filled with mosquitos. And of course I couldn't open a window because of aforementioned mosquitos. I had to cover myself in a DEET-based insect repellent to go to bed and still got bitten fifteen times a night.

The breakfast buffet was cold (and I got there early) and there was only intermittent wifi in the lobby. If you wanted wifi in your room, you had to pay a ridiculous amount.

Hugely disappointed and I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Another couple I was travelling with got a room on a higher floor. I believe their room was much nicer.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here on bussiness for 3 nights.The rooms were very clean and spacious.I love the swimming pool area.It's a good place to relax.I had the best stay in this hotel.It took me around 15 min's walking to go to the night market.No doubt the service was very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here for three nights as part of an Intrepid tour. Loved this hotel - spacious rooms, huge shower, good aircon. Some people on here have whinged about the small pool - not sure what they're comparing it to, but it wasn't small! I've heard you can access the pool in the hotel next door for $8 a day, but that seems like a waste of money when there's a perfectly good pool at Casa Angkor. Good breakfast with plenty of variety in the buffet. Free wi-fi in the hotel lobby only.

Only gripe would be the lack of light in the rooms and powerpoints for recharging phones, cameras etc. Though the hotel is a short walk from the pub street and night market area, you have to walk through a dark part of the street to get there, so I wouldn't recommend walking it alone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Great place with pool to relax after a long day visiting the Angkor complex. Spacious rooms with good airco so you get a good rest. One negative: breakfast was told to be from 6 am, but when we arrived at 6 only 50% of the food was available. A short walk away from the hotel you find the Bar street with lots of restaurants and shops. Try the fish massaging your feet!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple