“Perfectly fine”

Ranked #10 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Perfectly fine”
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

I'll start by saying that there are many nice things about this guesthouse, however, in my opinion, it is slightly overpriced, especially considering that breakfast is not included. Having said this, we did have the 'deluxe room with bath' as this was all we could find available online at the time that we looked. There are cheaper rooms at this guesthouse and I would guess that they are better value.

The good:

Staff were very helpful and kind. All the staff speak excellent English and we're thoroughly polite throughout our stay.

The one time we ordered breakfast, it was nice and good value.

The room was huge!

There is a very small (think paddling pool size) pool to dip your legs in on the roof.

The shower was hot and the pressure was good.

The welcome drinks were very nice.

What could be improved:

For a 'deluxe room' I thought that the general standard of repair was poor(see photos). The curtains were hanging off and there was some weird 'art' (maybe graffiti?) on the wall behind the Buddha painting. I'm not sure whether it was meant to be removed or what but it gave the room a slightly sad and uncared for feel. For this much money, I don't expect to have curtains that hang off the rail.

Two mini bars of soap were provided but at this price point, a dispenser with shower gel in would've been appreciated.

I don't want anyone to think that this place isn't nice- it's lovely and I don't regret staying there, but it's not perfect and I think with some small tweaks that it could be a lot better. If I stayed again (and I would!) I'd take the cheaper room and feel that I'd gotten better value.

Stayed March 2017, travelled as a couple
Lisa G, Owner at Siem Reap Rooms Guesthouse, responded to this review, 15 March 2017
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of your recent stay with us. I'm glad you had a mostly positive experience, appreciated the kindness of our staff, and found the breakfast to be of good value. I agree that the deluxe rooms could use some improvement. I often tell our guests that rooms are pretty basic but what we don't provide in amenities, we make up for in service quality. :)

The cost of doing business has rising rapidly in Siem Reap, all while western tourist numbers have dropped. This has created a difficult situation for small business owners who want to provide high quality services, while paying fair and competitive wages to staff. It does mean that we sometimes have to choose between upgrading things in our rooms or giving staff a well earned bonus.

Regarding your room booking, I think you might have forgotten that your original booking was for our superior room at less than $24/night. When you checked in, I gave you a free upgrade to our "deluxe" room which was larger and brighter. I guess this backfired a little (hehe). Had I known that you were disappointed, I could have given you the option of moving to the room that you booked (no curtain problem in that one!) ;)

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We will inspect the rooms again and see what we might be able to improve easily for future guests.

Lisa
Ps. Thanks for the reminder about the graffiti on the wall. I will make sure it gets removed. It was put there by staff as part of a last minute attempt to do something special for a couple on their honeymoon. If I'm not mistaken, it said "I Love You".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed 28 February 2017

This is the second time that I have stayed at this location. I had a great experience the first time 4 years ago, and when my friends wanted to visit Cambodia with me, I knew right away that I would stay here again.

The property gained a new manager/owner since the last time I visited, and wow what a difference. Lisa was incredibly helpful and worked with us to schedule the best possible tours at the best times. Honestly, just listen to her advice- she was correct on tour rimes and what to do every time. She truly cares about her guest's experience and goes the extra mile every day to make sure that everyone is happy. I thought I "knew it all" from my last visit, but Lisa was excellent at helping me re-work my times and added activities that I had not considered, but found to be highlights of my experience there this time.

Tours we took/places we went: The mini-tour, (have Lisa pack you a lunch and make sure to have your driver take you to the hidden/secret garden temple- it is beautiful and there's no crowds there), Beng Melea + Tonle Sap Floating Village (an absolute must in my book- love this temple out in the jungle, and our experience in the village was wonderful with our guide - plus lunch with his family), The Angkor National Museum was a great way to learn more about the history we were seeing, Phare (Cambodian Circus) is a must (get your tickets early), and we also very much enjoyed our cooking class at Beyond (I went there last time and came back from more this time- it was very personalized and fun- and the food you make is delicious).

Traveler Tip: I highly recommend that you get the three day Angkor pass and see 2-3 temples a day (no more than 4). Honestly, you get burnt out with the heat, crowds, and walking, pretty early- so if you can space out your visits a bit (and take an afternoon dip in the pool instead) you will definitely enjoy your stay more than trying to see 5-6 temples in one day.

As far as the rooms, they are spacious and have all that you need for a comfortable stay. This is not a hotel or luxury property, but the rooms and amenities were great for me- and well above the usual dorm/hostel experience. I traveled here solo the first time and found the pool area and common room below great for meeting fellow travelers.

Room Tip: The deluxe & superior rooms are the best.
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled with friends
1 Thank calaveratara
Washington
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Located on a quiet small street, away from the busy activity, but just in walking distance to the heart of the old market tourist center. The staff was always very attentive and knowledgeable; and my room was spacious and clean. Best of all was the proprietor Lisa. She's full of energy, wonderfully welcoming, and will help you plan out any itinerary to suit your needs. While the rooms and amenities are super basic, when I asked for hangers she handed over a few of her own!

Stayed February 2017, travelled solo
Malaysia
Reviewed 12 February 2017

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights here. The room isn't fancy but it has all the basic things we need, it is clean, spacious and the washroom with water heater is very spacious as well! If you need to boil water/hair dryer just ask the friendly staff at Siem Reap rooms! They are mostly well-versed in English! Lisa, the manager has been more than helpful and assisting in our tour itinerary, she went out of the way to plan our day trip to Beng Mealea and Tonle Sap and honestly it turned out to be the highlight of my trip. Appreciate her effort! She even prepared us blankets for the cold morning tuk tuk trip! Kosin, another colleague, was a great driver and a very good company throughout our trip and his friend Luong was a good tour guide of Kompong Khleang. Location-wise it is only a short walk from Pub street/King's road and the market. If you love cats, catch the resident cat Princess (Lisa's cat) in the guesthouse, she is extremely adorable! Will definitely recommend and will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2017, travelled with friends
2 Thank cherylveenc
Reviewed 23 January 2017

I stayed here for 5 nights & had a good time.

This guesthouse has a beautiful & spacious entrance with a warm & calm atmosphere. My room was also spacious & clean. Oh, and having a cute cat around was a big plus for me!

Their friendly staff took care of me very well everyday. They picked me up for free from the bus station upon my arrival and gave me a lot of advice & recommendations upon my check-in. The mountain bike I rented from them was super comfortable & made my all-day explorations of Angkor Temples much easier. I asked them a lot of questions & made requests everyday including a tour to floating villages, and they always answered to me & to my requests with grace & timely manner.

This guesthouse is located away from Old Market, Pub Street & Night Market area but it's within 10-15 min walking distance or a short remork ride.

If you're looking for a calm & quiet accommodation away from the hustle-bustle of Siem Reap's night life, I highly recommend you to stay here!

• Stayed December 2016, travelled solo