It was the peak of the hot, wet season when we stayed and far too hot to do the slog into town by foot. The taxis all seemed to charge only $! for a one way trip. If I visit Siem Reap again I will stayer nearer to the town centre.
The hotel itself was comfortable. We liked the fact that there was a powerful fan as well as the option of room aircon. One thing I can never understand about hotels in Cambodia and Laos is the lack of insect screening on the windows and doors. We would have much preferred to switch off the air con and just have the strong fan blowing on us with all doors & windows open. Impossible due to the biting insects with unscreened windows.
The bed was very comfortable and our upstairs room was relatively private. The chairs on the balcony were real back breakers, but the fan outdoors was a nice touch. There was plenty of space in our room but not enough places to stow our luggage which ended up on the floor.
The bathroom was spacious too, but, like some other reviewers, the toilet quickly became blocked. I would suggest that the management puts up a sign in all rooms to request that toilet paper is not put in the toilet, but placed in the bin provided.
We loved the pool - on the small side, but then this is not a resort hotel. The sunbeds and shady huts were just lovely. We always found the pool very clean. the gardens and lawns were superb.
The breakfast was good but we would have liked a little more variety for the evening and lunchtime meals. Food was always well done, tasty and nicely presented.
Mr Hak was wonderful in arranging a guide for three days of temple visits. In fact Mr Hak was wonderful full stop. He is a great fount of information and a lovely, smiling man.
Laundry service arranged by the hotel is of a good standard and is cheap.
I would recommend Sonalong as a good, clean, safe option for accommodation. It is not a resort type hotel, but a comfortable, locally run establishment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Run by a friendly khmer manager who speaks excellent English, Sonalong Village is situated in a quiet area within walking distance of the main shops, restaurants and Old Market area in Siem Reap and just 15 minutes drive from the International Airport and the Ankor Temple complex. Surrounded by beautiful flowery tropical gardens there are 8 double and 8 twin rooms, each with free Wifi, shower, A/C, ceiling fans, mini bar and private balcony. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Wotif.com and Odigeo so you can book your Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonalong Boutique Village And Resort
- Sonalong Boutique Village Hotel Siem Reap