“Salar de Uyuni with Ruta Verde Tours”
Review of Ruta Verde Tours

Ruta Verde Tours
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Santa Cruz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 29 August 2012

After reading heaps of reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to book a tour (from home) with Ruta Verde as they only had excellent reviews. Even though it is a more pricy option we were very happy with our choice. After arrival with the bus from La Paz, we were picked up at the bus terminal and had time to get a quick breakfast before departure. We don’t speak Spanish, but chose not to book an English speaking guide as this is primarily a scenic tour. With help from a parlor and body language it was absolutely no problem. Our guide was very enthusiastic and flexible to tailor the itinerary towards our wishes.

The food was good based on what you can expect in the middle of nowhere. Generally, it seemed to be better compared to what other tours had. The hotels were primitive, but clean. We only had private rooms with toilet.

We used Todo turismo to get to and from La Paz, which I unfortunately cannot recommend. On both ways we had to change busses due to technical problems. We only got blankets and pillows in one of the busses and the busses are much worn.

8  Thank StineRonholt

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Excellent organisation
We returned last week form a 4 day 3 night trip with Ruta Verde from San Pedro in Chile to Salar and back and had a tremendous time.
We spoke Spanish and so only had a driver/guide - Jose - who was excellent.
The vehicle was in very good order and everything went well.

We were staggered by things to see in the park and the areas leading up to the Salar and could have spent much longer exploring deserted villages and old farming methods.
The salar was mind blowing, totally unbelievable.

I would strongly recommend Ruta Verde and they were actually cheaper than the price we were quoted from organisations in San Pedro

5  Thank Barry E
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We booked a three day trip from Chile's San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni with Ruta Verde. They were a more expensive option, but given issues of reliability, comfort and safety we read about in reviews of cheaper providers, we thought it made sense to pay more money for a better experience. I can confirm Ruta Verde was definitely worth the money! The customer service they provided was professional and timely. Email correspondence prior to and post trip was responsive and comprehensive. The team was even able to help figure out a way we could purchase onward tickets from Uyuni - purchasing them for us on site before we got there and having the tickets waiting for us at the bus company. The landscapes and communities we were able to visit on the tour were absolutely breathtaking. But for me what stands out the most of our three days on the road was our time with our driver, Wilson. Considerate, kind, friendly, and courteous, he was a consummate professional as a driver but also just a lovely person to spend time with and knowledgable about the area. He was also very patient with my and my boyfriend's limited Spanish and with our frequent requests to stop and take MORE pictures! :-) Would recommend Ruta Verde, and specifically Wilson, in a heart beat to anyone considering traveling in Uyuni. :-)

3  Thank jyogini
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My family and I recently completed a 3 day, 2 night tour of the Bolivian dessert and salt flats with Ruta Verde Tours. My family included my mother in law and 2 children including a 2 year old. Although my mother in law was extremely unwell for most of the trip (due to alititude sickness) we had a wonderful time. It is definately worth spending the extra money and doing the tour privately if you are able. You can do things exactly as you want or need. The scenery is nothing short of spectacular and the salt flats are breathtaking. Our tour guide was lovely and although he had limited english he was able to provide us with enough information and communication was not that difficult. He was very professional and very accommodating. My children liked him very much. The Dessert Hotel in the middle of nowhere is possibly the coldest place I have ever been but it is quite remarkable as is the Salt Hotel. Thanks Ruta Tours for a great start to our Bolivia and Peru adventures. We would recommend commencing a trip with your company.

4  Thank FOODIE11111
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 3 day Salar de Uyuni tour. Our driver, Juan, was good - we always felt safe and he was incredibly friendly and accomodating. He helped us take pictures at the Salar and was also very patient with my boyfriend's frequent requests to stop to take pictures. On the second morning, he was an hour late picking us up from the hotel - it turned out he had car troubles the night prior (not his fault) and needed to take it to the shop that morning - we would have appreciated a call to the hotel to alert us.

Given the high price we were paying, we had one major issue. The car's heating system was broken. We were prepared for the cold temperatures and aware that the hotels had minimal heating but we did expect the car to have a functioning heating system. We spent a lot of time driving and having a warm car - especially with the frigid temperatures in the early morning and evening, was something that we assumed would be taken car of.

Overall, we were very glad we selected a private tour with Ruta Verde. It was an amazing trip but a word of caution - make sure you get a car with a working heat!! It makes a big difference.

4  Thank peripatetic_panda