See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I'm not certain how we discovered Jocko Hollow Campground. I'm glad we did, though.
The phone number to the office is: 406-726-3336

Established many years ago, Jocko Hollow is immaculately clean and lovingly maintained. Grand plans for a bigger campground never fruited, so there are only nine or ten campsites. Most are in pairs but the two times we stayed at it, we were the sole transient campers and had the campground to ourselves. There are several semi-permanent campers that have been there 'for years' but you'd never know it. They keep to themselves, use their on board facilities and left us alone.

We stayed there twice in less than two weeks-two nights on our way to Yellowstone and one night on our way back to the west coast.

This campground has plenty of amenities. The dump station is included in the daily fee (which, at $25 a night, is a bargain.) The showers are hot. 25 cents buys you five minutes of HOT water, which is plenty. Toilets are CLEAN and are flush type , not a vault. The bathroom and showers are spotlessly clean. The laundry has two wash machines and a dryer. The washers are old and quite finicky-they demand the load be perfectly balanced. But when you've been camping in the boonies for a week, you don't care-it beats beating your clothes on a rock in the river.

Speaking of which, the Jocko River forms a border to the campground. Our first night there, we had the river not thirty feet behind our heads. It was quite full and fast flowing, so it drowned out much of the road noise (more on that later). We saw pileated woodpeckers, western tanagers, and yellow warblers in the trees.

Mature trees full of birds provide plenty of shade. The proprietors put flower boxes on each picnic table. There are several ponds on the property, one being in the campground itself. You probably could fish them, but it's catch and release only. You can definitely fish the river right from your campsite.
Each campsite has a fire ring/grate, which we did not utilize.

This campground was designed before the monster RV's and fifth wheels came into being, so the access loop is tight. The pads are graveled, not paved, thank goodness. Some-not all-sites have the three amenities: sewer, electricity and water.

There is no 50 amp service. For the drivers of road boat that pulled into the campground just before us, apparently that was a deal breaker...or perhaps they didn't want to pay for the flower pot they ran over and crushed? It was marking the dump drain and their rig was so big..or perhaps the driver too inexperienced, but he said, no thanks, no 50 amp, we're leaving..and left without paying for the flower box.

But our tiny 17 ft Casita camper fit just perfectly in any of the sites we wanted, and 30 amps is plenty.

The office has a large library, you can take a book/ leave a book or swap out a book or as many as you wish. There are also bird guides and you are given a list of the species seen at the campground. I added a few: ruby crowned kinglets were everywhere.

There is one large trash bin, near the entrance into the campground. It is chained shut, as black bears (especially one determined one whom they've dubbed Teddy) routinely try to raid it. There are no recycling bins, due to the bears.

There's cell service, but no wifi. Don't ask me about television reception-I wouldn't have a TV in my camper. I don't go camping to watch it.

The one and only complaint I have about the campground is the road noise (and trains at night). Hwy 93 runs right past the campground. Ordinarily I would have dinged the campground one star for that, but most RV parks are ALWAYS right next to a road. I suppose they don't hear it? This one isn't a paved parking lot, with sites cheek by jowl, and its stellar qualities are such that, despite the traffic noise, it gets five stars from me.

Last but not least, it's a half day's drive from Yellowstone National Park-which is probably how we found it in the first place.

If you want a CLEAN campground, I highly recommend Jocko Hollow Campground.

Room Tip: Camp sites next to the river have more room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple