“Fantastic food and communication.”
Review of Gratzi

Gratzi
Reserve with OpenTable
Gratzi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 624 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: USD 15 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Gratzi, an elegant Italian restaurant with distinct style, was founded in downtown Ann Arbor, Mich. in December 1987. Formerly the Orpheum Theater, which screened the most popular movies of the day in the 1930s, Gratzi maintains the flair of the dramatic history still preserved today in the restaurant's elegant décor and ambience. Seated above Gratzi's bar is a grand sculpture of Orpheus himself, the great poet and musician, overlooking dining room guests, while a beautifully painted Renaissance-style mural depicting an ancient bacchanal reinforces the indulgent and purely pleasurable atmosphere. Indulge in the purely pleasurable atmosphere and savor unique flavors of regional Italian cuisine and wine.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Semma was our waitress, and she was perfect. Friendly, informative, and non-obtrusive. Our appetizer came out in the appropriate timeframe, and was delicious. (The dip for the calamari is the bomb). Our food, however, was taking a little while. Semma came to apologize about the wait and explained the nature of the hold up in the kitchen, even though it was not an overly long wait, just slightly more than usual. She assured us she was working on it, and the food came out promptly afterwards. Excellent service, food was phenomenal. We even stayed for dessert, which we usually do not partake in. I will be returning.

MSVRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at Gratzi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Hello,
Thank you for the great review. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at Gratzi. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is my favorite restaurant in all of Ann Arbor. Great house Chianti and superb appetizers for a lovely start to a concert at the Ark down the street. Great place to come back for entree after theatre or art gallery exhibit. If one is a cigar smoker there is also an elegant club next door that also serves fine liqueurs. Gratzi is the place to see and be seen!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Service at Gratzi remains excellent (thank you Peter G for excellent service!), and it has a pleasant ambience. However, they no longer seem to have outstanding food, and with it being a fairly pricey restaurant, even stellar service and a nice ambience didn't make it work for us.
Regarding our meal, for starters we stuck with complimentary cheese-topped bread, which was a bit greasy. The winner of the night was the tableside alfredo my daughters ordered, which they both enjoyed thoroughly. My husband's scallops were cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the potatoes that were served with it were either burnt or undercooked and hard. I was excited to try the chef's award winning sea bass, but from the first bite on, all I could think was, "This is ok. I can't believe I'm paying $35 for ok." The fish itself was cooked perfectly, but as a whole was too salty, which made it impossible to appreciate (or taste) all the flavors the chef was attempting to present in the dish. One of the toppings was cold and spooned atop the fish, which was off-putting. The first dish one of my daughters ordered was shrimp in a red pepper sauce, which was prepared with too much spice. The waiter graciously replaced this with the alfredo pasta, so dinner was saved for her.
It was Easter, so we indulged and ordered dessert. Candy from the Easter bunny might have been better. We waited nearly fifteen minutes for 2 of the 3 desserts to arrive at the table. Their tiramisu had very little espresso to be found anywhere, and there was too much shaved chocolate on top for my taste. By the time my youngest daughter's doughnut holes arrived, we were done with our desserts. Whoever was given the task of making these didn't know what they were doing. The outside was exceedingly hard, and the inside was wet like a sponge and less flavorful than a plain doughnut anywhere. Their attempt at rolling it in cinnamon sugar was unsuccessful, as hardly any stuck to the outside. Sadly, the chocolate sauce that the doughnuts were swimming in did nothing to add to the flavor. Hence, our second item was returned to the kitchen, and she took home a piece of the flourless chocolate cake. Much to the chagrin of my daughters, they've added hazelnuts to the top, so they spent as much time picking nuts off the cake as they did eating it. Thankfully, the cake itself was delicious.
This is our third visit to Gratzi. Great service can't make up for lackluster food. I hope for a turnaround for them, as this used to be a favorite spot, especially for meals on special occasions.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

Just had dinner with 5 others this last Sunday evening. Had high expectations as my last visit was several years ago and was enjoyable, But after putting in my order for Veal Marsala, I visited the Ladies Room. What a shock - very dirty and found all the bins overflowing with used paper towels. I immediately told one of the waitresses and did notice her going towards the restroom. My next disappointment was in my meal. The veal was so overdone that the knife provided had a hard time cutting through. My daughters meal came out and was cold. They warmed it up but it too was very overdone. I do not foresee coming back and feel your prices were too exorbitant for the quality of the meal and facilities. Too bad, you once had a fine reputation.

1  Thank Biker19653t
MSVRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at Gratzi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Hello,
Thank you for the feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your poor experience at Gratzi. I have forwarded your review to our General Manager, Andy Jacobs, and we would really like to speak with you personally. If possible, please contact Andy at (734) 663-6387. If you prefer to provide your contact information I would be happy to pass it along to him. We truly hope to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

Our poor waiter was handling 5 tables, all apparently with the same 5:30pm reservation time. This should never happen. He did his best, but since we had a concert date we had to push him the entire evening. Not fun for anyone. Food was good, not exceptional. The sulumeria was possibly the best part of the meal. Expensive wine list.

1  Thank 1Rahhalatun
MSVRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at Gratzi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for the feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your mixed experience at Gratzi. I have forwarded your review to our General Manager, Andy Jacobs, and we would really like to speak with you personally. If possible, please contact him at 734-663-6387. If you prefer to provide your contact information I would be happy to pass it along to him. We truly hope to better serve you in the future.