All reviews great location handicap accessible room the wi fi college visit campus desk union alumni michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2015

We have wanted to stay here for a long time but it is usually fully booked on weekends. This time, we lucked out on a Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This is a charming hotel on the fourth floor of the lovely Michigan League building at the heart of the University of Michigan campus in downtown Ann Arbor. The room was large, airy, and quiet, and the bed was excellent as was the internet access. And there are bonuses: the free parking close by and being at the center of the action, adjacent to the Hill Auditorium concert venue. The price for the date we were there was very reasonable. We look forward to future stays.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2015

My stay was not as bad as I was fearing after reading some of the other reviews on here, but there are some real drawbacks.

The Michigan League is one of the student union buildings at the University of Michigan, and the guest rooms are on the top floor. The parking situation is indeed as bad as everyone says. If someone drives you here, it's not a big deal, but otherwise you'll have to come prepared. When you walk into the building, there isn't a single sign telling you that check-in is on the fourth floor. They do have luggage carts--but they're on the fourth floor. So clearly your game plan should be to pull up to the entrance, leave your car there, take the elevator to the fourth floor, check in, bring down a luggage cart, bring your luggage back upstairs, unload the cart, go back down to the first floor, park your car, and walk back to the hotel. Seems complicated, but any other strategy would be worse ...

"Breakfast" consists of a voucher for up to $4.50 worth of food at any one of three eateries in the building: (1) Wendy's, (2) a casual café, or (3) a small convenience store selling packaged snacks. The café was fine, but they had already run out of eggs by the time I got there at 9 A.M., and limiting the value of the voucher to $4.50 is pretty tacky, because the cheapest item that I saw was $4 (an egg muffin--which they didn't have anyway).

The room itself was fine. It was not at all cramped, tastefully renovated, and came with a nice comfortable king-size bed as well a flat-screen TV with lots of high-definition channels. (I just wish they had a channel guide.) That's quite a bit better than staying at your stuffy aunt's house, as so many other reviews have characterized it. Wifi is free and seemed to have a strong signal, but it was either too slow or too goofy to handle many of my applications, so I had to get by with a combination of wifi on my tablet and 4G on my cell phone. The desk in my room was narrow and low, so it got uncomfortable after a while, but it wasn't catastrophic. Certainly not an ergonomic desk chair.

Lastly, the employees in the building all seem to be students, but I did not have any of the problems that other reviewers have mentioned. The students were all courteous and cheerful, and the fourth floor was very quiet throughout my stay. I noticed that everyone seems to leave around 11 P.M., so I don't know what you're supposed to do if there's a problem after hours. Fortunately, I didn't have to find out.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank DrGoldin
Reviewed 24 August 2015

Excellent location. Quite private, quaint and quiet. Found front desk pleasant and helpful. Not a luxurious accommodation, but if coming to U of M for a function and want access to Main or State St restaurants this is a great choice.

Date of stay: December 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2015

Do NOT stay here if you expectto sleep! Desk workers don't care. They were talking - 12:27AM and followed up w/ management another worker talking at regular conversation-level at 6AM till past 8:30AM.

Room tip: Pay for a different place all together!
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank reviewcheckin
Reviewed 16 July 2015

It was very convenient to stay right on Univ of Michigan campus! However, don't expect it to be a Holiday Inn. The hours are limited, the parking is faar away, and so forth. Beds were too soft and the hallway lights (at least for our room) were bright enough to keep the room lit up overnight :-(

Anyway, we enjoyed the stay with the nearby Panera Bread as a good way to start the day.

Room tip: Arrive during working hours to select room. Keep some bath supplies -- no 'room service' at night!
Date of stay: April 2015