See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 October 2017

You may find yourself thinking "Wow, it's really cheap and how bad could it be?". The answer is: surprisingly bad.

Before writing this, I saw another traveler write that the only thing they enjoyed about the Victory Inn was leaving. I could not agree more.

The entire building smells awful. Its the type of smell that sticks to you, your clothes, and anything unfortunate enough to spend time in this place. After switching to a different hotel, I quarantined the clothes I slept in so they wouldn't stick up the other things in my suitcase.

The room was dirty. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned.

You should not stay here. Its very, very bad. Even if everything else is booked. Rent a car and sleep in it. You're welcome.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Adam C
Reviewed 9 October 2017

going to start with pros:
- good proximity to michigan stadium
- lights in the main room worked
- outlets by the bed worked
- hot water worked
- air conditioner worked
- small shampoo, body wash, and soap bars were provided
- pillows were normal fluffiness
- there was a deadbolt that worked

cons:
- this place would NOT PASS A HEALTH INSPECTION for the following reasons:
1. the whole building smelled like smoke. the elevator had a very strong pot smell, too. The smell was so strong and prevalent that my clothes smell like smoke when I unpacked them the next day.
2. there was mold everywhere in the bathroom.
3. there was hair bits in many random places around the bathroom. I'm not grossed out by hair, but I AM grossed out by the implication that nothing was cleaned before I arrived.
4. the sink handle had opaque goop in it and shaved hair bits.
5. the towels had stains, even though they looked and felt like they'd been washed a thousand times in the last week.
6. The refrigerator was tepid and had brown residue all over.
7. didn't even bother to open the microwave at this point.
- there was no mattress cover
- the "comforter" was basically the cover part of a duvet
- pillowcases had a weird smell
- wallpaper was coming off (in the room and hallways alike....)
- the light in the bathroom flickered horribly
- the sink was missing the normal metal plug so I could see right down the big hole
- a "do not disturb" sign was not provided, though some other guests got some
- SAFETY ISSUE: the back door to the hotel that has a key card built in next to it and has a sign saying "guests only" WAS UNLOCKED THE WHOLE TIME, the key card device either didn't work or was a total sham to begin with.
- the 2nd floor elevator button was missing a label, had a handwritten sticker labeling it instead. like, what (the photos others posted were no joke and have not been fixed since.)
- SERVICE: the people at the front desk were uptight and indifferent to guests. Sometimes, no one was there at all.

Please believe all the ugly photos. It's a sad place that looks like no one has taken care of it in 30+ years, and smells like it. I really cannot understate how horrible and disgusting the smoke smell was, and I'd seriously bet some of those smoke alarms are disabled (we did find a spare one in a drawer, too).

Was supposed to stay there for two nights, checked out as soon as possible and found another place.

Do Airbnb before doing this place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank asdf_asdf_asdf_asdf1
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We were in town for a wedding. Normally, we would have just driven to Ann Arbor for the evening (from the Detroit area), but the family threw in a follow up gathering on Sunday morning, so we needed a hotel for one night. Apparently, there was a convention in town for the weekend so it was hard to find any open rooms closer than Metro Airport. Hence, we ended up here.

Our two rooms "together" ended up up two floors apart. "what do you want, they are both in the same wing" was the response.

The ground floor room was previously occupied by a heavy pot smoker (by the hotel manager's admission - it was the reason the previous guest was no longer there in the non-smoking room). It had to be aired out before occupancy. The maintenance man ran over to a nearby dollar store and returned with cans of air freshener.

The third floor room came furnished with pieces that could have been found at the local Salvation Army store (see picture of sample furniture - the chairs, carpet, curtains, walls, etc, were equally bad - but the bed was at least decent).

The photo of the elevator button repaired with tape and a sharpie is a prime example of the level of attention and care put into the hotel's maintenance.

Continental breakfast included coffee, bread from the dollar store, and stale cereal. But make sure you get there early as elderly man living in one of the first floor rooms comes down in his pj's with a large mixing bowl and pitcher to empty out the cereal and milk every morning about 8 am.

Pictures of the pool included in all of their online ads were taken "some years ago" according to the owner. "Hotel websites charge too much money to update profiles," is the reason they have not removed the photos of the description of the hotel as having a pool.

While we can't blame the hotel for the guests getting into a fight in the hallway and the doors slamming and the yelling and screaming for a good part of the night, the fact that the police that responded to the call were not surprised to be there told us that this was probably a regular occurrence.

And, if that is not enough of a reason to keep you away, read closely the notices posted by the city of Ann Arbor. It warns you that the building failed it's fire inspection.

Like I said, you are better off sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Pick any room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Campmaster55
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Hotel appeared to be going through renovation. Free breakfast was coffee and toast. No fruit or yogurt. Just carbs. People next door taking shower 1230am. Very limited cable selection. Only CNN for cable news. Front desk wanted to charge $ for inci

Room Tip: Be very careful inside hotel and parking lot. There are a lot of creepy people wandering around this location.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank 654gus99
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I had to call out 4 times until I finally yelled in the lobby for 14 min until a man came out to check me in. He never said a word just took my ID and credit card off of the counter told me to fill out the register I said sarcastically Great customer service and pointed to the elevators. I get up to the third floor and the hallways are like a sauna and my keys do not work. I try calling to the desk with my cell and no answer 10 rings later. I go down stairs to the desk and tell him my keys do not work and he smiles and chuckles. right there I called ,y credit card company and made sure the charge was not going through and I left and told him to do a few things that are not really possible.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business