All reviews bed was comfortable fitness center property noise michigan microwave university
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I stayed there for 2 nights on a business trip. The hotel location was 5 minutes drive to where I was attending the meeting. The room were clean and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was adequate and hot water is always available at the lobby area in case you're a tea lover like me.
Also the staff is very friendly and always available to help (Hi Anna)!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Maysam K
Noah M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor - Univ of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Hello Maysam,

We appreciate the review and the great comments. Seeing comments like these gives us a sense of pride and knowledge we are doing things right.

Noah Mucha
PS. Anna says Hello!

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

We made an effort to resolve this issue with the management that was to be in by 6:30am per the staff, but at 9am we were told, after the clerk went to get management and did not return for over 5 minutes, that Noah would not be in until 10:30 am.
The clerk spent nearly 15 minutes typing and back spacing what he had typed as people lined up behind me. There was no eye contact nor apology nor acknowledgement in even a basic interpersonal way. It was a very awkward and difficult experience to say the least.

I had to tell him this was not good customer service and that 13 minutes without communication was unprofessional. I watched him over the counter just type randomly then push the backspace button and start over again. It was as though they were trying to get us to simply leave out of frustration. He gave us a minor discount but the reality is that the motel 6 across the street likely offered more value than we received.

Our issue was that the first room had no art on the wall but the braces were there and fixtures in the kitchen did not work. It had a disheveled feel. The second room did not have two beds. The third room had broken fixtures but more importantly the door did not work properly. It was frustrating to have the front desk tell us a work order had been placed the prior day but they neglected to inform us of the issue. We spent a long time trying to get into our room. They knew it was broken but failed to mention it to us until check out.

I'm not certain the building is safe in event of an emergency. We were unable to get exit doors to open at the back of the building. We there our shoulders into the doors with little movement. These were doors that should have opened.

There is not ordinary customer service here. When we checked out the clerk who checked us in and went through three rooms with us seemed unable to connect in a customer service fashion.

It's actually difficult to capture how bizzare this experience was. Even the last room with the broken lock had broken handles on kitchen cupboards and the towel hook behind the bathroom door was handing from a wire.

We are still trying to follow up with the corporate office and will make a call to the BBB.

I've never had to say this about a place I've stayed but this place needs a serious overhaul in management and training not to mention maintenance.

I cannot recommend them.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Pixipants
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor - Univ of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Hello Pixipants,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel and apologize if some of our amenities and services fell below your expectations. We take comments such as these in to account and rest assured that these will be used towards our improvement. A private message has been sent to you in an effort to resolve your concerns privately.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope you give us another chance to provide you with a better stay.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I thought mid-westerners were friendly! Front desk didn't acknowledge guests when they entered and left the hotel. I request they do this; a smile helps everyone feel good about the moment and the place.

Other than that, the hotel was comfortable enough. Be sure not to get a room near the elevator ( we had one there) because you will hear everyone coming and going--and people in groups, late a night ( probably were out partying) like to laugh loudly.
As far as room service-- it doesn't exist. You can't order food. And maid service is 'light' and nonexistent on the weekend. This always bothers me, maybe not you. When I stay in a hotel I like the bed to be made and the sink cleaned and towels I' ve used to be changed. At this hotel towel replacement is optional ( with the intention that you, the customer and are helping the environment.)
There is a breakfast that is carbohydrate intense; some pre-prepared egg items. They did have a pot of white rice with Japanese condiments, which was unusual and nice.
Pool was pleasant and I was the only person using it on all the three days I was there.

Room Tip: don't get a room near the elevator or near the air condensers on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine P
Noah M, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor - Univ of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you Christine for the review. You are absolutely correct that mid-westerners smile!! It's part of our charm. I am disappointed none of my staff made this effort when its something we are known for.

Concerning the maid service, I understand where you are coming from. As an extended stay hotel, its a little different operationally. Most of our hotel guests are long term stay people and with this specific chain, we only fully clean rooms every seven days. This helps with labor and allows us to offer lower rates to guests that want to stay for a long duration.

We will work on all items for the future to make our hotel ever better.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

This is a "suites" type of property. Small efficient kitchen. Bed was comfortable. Internet speed OK. Very convenient to get anywhere (Ann Arbor) locally. Small but adequate gym (note: I visited in mid afternoon ... only one of each type of machine so if it got busy ....). Small pool and hot tub. Property was clean. Others have complained about the staff but I had no issue. Good check in and all staff friendly and willing to offer a "good day". Breakfast .... pretty much the same old ... avoid the eggs ... have some coffee and yogurt ... bagels that will give NYC no competition. I think most of you will know what I mean. For kids ... waffles. Yippee.

Recommended for families on a budget (not sure how many can be squeezed in) or business travelers. Or individuals like myself who had some small business to take care of in AA. Yes I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't think noise is a problem in any of the rooms (unless you are here when a wedding is etc.)
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Joshua R, Manager at Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor - Univ of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us, HappyDog_from_Maine! We are so delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us here at our brand new hotel. Our team works hard to provide an excellent experience and hotel that guests love, and we are so happy that we accomplished this during your stay. We are an extended stay brand of hotel, which is why we have those fully equipped kitchens with full size refrigerators that you had mentioned in your review.

You did mention a couple of details about breakfast. We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback about the food offerings that we have. You will be happy to know that IHG, the franchise that we are a part of, is going to be rolling out some new changes to our breakfast program. We are excited to see what these new changes will be.

Again, thank you so much for staying with us. We hope to see you back here again soon when you return to Ann Arbor.

Joshua Ross
Assistant General Manager
Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor-Univ of Michigan

Reviewed 10 August 2017

In short do NOT stay at this hotel as long as Noah [-] is the manager! He doesn't care how he treats anyone because he is the owner and operator of this poorly ran, poorly staffed, poorly renovated trash of a HOTEL. Oh and BTW the FOOD IS DISGUSTING. They served COLD under cooked chicken during "social hour" and the breakfast food was NASTY too. Let me tell you how this stay ended first and then you can decide if you want to find out what lead up to it...

After I contacted the corporate office they contacted Noah. After several hours passed by I hadn't heard anything. I called the corporate office back and asked what happened. They let me know that NOAH was supposed to have called me a couple hours ago and was shocked to hear that he had not. So they stayed on the phone with me while my husband went to the front desk to speak with Noah. Noah told my husband whom is a MILITARY SERVICE MEMBER and IRAQI VETERAN that he basically wanted us out. Instead of being of service to a SERVICE MEMBER (I guess he got tired of us complaining about the poor service). Noah told my husband he would not charge us for that night or a cancellation fee if we left that day. Mind you EVERY hotel in the area is BOOKED! But, if we stayed he would give a $50 off!! NO APOLOGIES for his staff or his attitude NOTHING! Again, he didn't care he just wanted our family out! What kind of BUSINESS person are you?? What manager doesn't try to see what they can do to convice their guests to stay??? Needless to say, we LEFT, although it was hard finding a hotel to stay in during this event we found one but couldn't check in until the next day, so therefore NO COMPENSATION and still NO apology. We had to put up with HORRIBLE service for ANOTHER DAY! We couldn't pack our stuff nor drive fast enough away from this place! NOAH [-] needs serious MANAGEMENT and CUSTOMER SERVICE training otherwise this hotel will NOT last! He needs to take a lot of cues from ERIK (front desk guy).

The PROBLEMS:

I spoke with Noah and his staff three times about my room and the quality of service provided from his staff. I even showed pictures. The cleaning staff is absolutely horrible, but I blame the manager. This is NOT a full service hotel, which I believe the staff and manager uses as an excuse to provide etremely poor quality in service. I am writing a letter to the corporate office as this hotel is owned and operated by Noah, so they couldnt do anything until I checked out. I will provide an update with pictures at a later date. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT stay here. This is supposed to be a newly renovated hotel but as my pictures will show, the door handles on all the doors inside the room were not properly installed, the hanging rack for a robe or towel was hanging off the wall, the door inside the king suite would not stay open without a pair of shoes holding it open, the staff won't vacuum or pick up any trash that is not inside the trash cans, they will not wash the dishes in the sink, they will not make your bed, they will provide enough towels/washcloths/handtowels, the caulk in the bathroom around the shower was done poorly, and the staff (other than Erik and Josh) are down right RUDE!!!

The first problem I had at this hotel was when I called to ask for towels because my room hadn't been cleaned yet (at 6pm) the SARA says "We are under staffed and you will have to wait." I asked her what time will someone come since we were told at 8am that someone would clean the room. She replied by saying "Well like I said, we are under staffed and someone will be there when they can." I provided a solution by asking could I come down and get the towels myself, and she said yes. Who in the WORLD talks to PAYING guests like that "Well like I said" is something you say to your friend that is getting on your nerves or someone that you dislike. I went to get the towels and asked for a manager because of the young lady's attitude. I NEVER yelled or cussed at her, and I remained polite. But obviously being polite doesn't get you anywhere with this group of people. The bigger issue is WHY ARE YOU SHORT STAFFED when you are BOOKED to capacity and you JACKED up your prices, but not your SERVICE quality??

The second and third incidences I can run together since they happend so close together. After the staff cleaned my room I asked the front desk why weren't the sheets changed or towels/washcloths/handtowels replenished? The reply was I don't know. So I asked for Noah and they let me know he was not available. I happened to go downstairs as Noah was walking through the open area and asked to speak with him. I then showed him the pictures of my room. I showed him the trash that was left behind and the dishes inthe sink. He said " This is a light service hotel and that information is plastered everywhere." I then showed him the pictures of the bed and how it was "thrown" together. He then told me that because persnal items were on my bed that that is the reason why it was not made up properly. ( Rhetorical question: Well then why touch the bedding at all?) I asked was this acceptable service and was this also part of their policy and if this information was plastered everywhere? He told me no. He only allows it because past guests have reported items missing, and he told his staff to not touch anything. HOW IS THAT?? At the end of the day the staff HAS to touch something right?? It is part of their job right?? I then showed him pictures of the towel rack in my bathroom. The staff had put THREE towels, ONE washcloth, and ONE hand towel for FOUR people! He then said that's not acceptable either. I explained to him that this is the 3rd time I have been down there and I should be compensated for it due to poor service. He blew me off with a "I am not doing anything about what my staff has done and i am not compensating you for anything!" I asked for someone higher up and he referred me to his corporate office saying that the buck stopped with him and he assured me that he was "as far as you could go." He stormed away from me and told the front desk guy, Josh to give me the number to customer service (instead of giving me the number to guest reations, in which I had to be transferred).
You have been told NOT to stay here, but if you do, that means you are ok with sub-standard service, poor personalities from staff, and poor living conditions!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank BlkBeauty7
Joshua R, Manager at Staybridge Suites Ann Arbor - Univ of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review about your stay with us, BlkBeauty7. We appreciate you with providing us with your direct feedback about your experience.

You had mentioned the issues that you had with housekeeping. With our hotel being an extended-stay brand of hotel with fully equipped kitchens, we offer our “Light Touch” housekeeping service, which consists of making up our guest’s bed(s), replacing towels, and removing trash from trash receptacles. For guests that are staying more than seven days, we offer rooms a full service clean once every seven days, which includes the changing out of linens, wiping down bathroom and kitchen surfaces, vacuuming, and replacement of bed linens and towels. I did look at the pictures you had taken of your room while you were at the front desk, and you are correct that you did not receive the correct amount of towels and washcloths, for which I do offer my warmest apologies. One of the other complaints you did have is that housekeeping did not pick up waste items that were left along the floor of your room, which is not a service that we offer when you are scheduled for a light touch cleaning. Our housekeepers are not allowed to touch guest items that are left on the bed. If items are left on the bed, they will not be able to properly make the bed up. You did mention that they did touch the bedding, and it’s possible that they started to make up the bed until they realized there were items inside of the bedding. I know that this was explained to both you and your husband by our General Manager.

You had also mentioned that our General Manager did not try to keep you here as a guest in the hotel. We want all of our guests to feel welcome here at the Staybridge Suites and we want all of our guests to love their stay with us. I believe that our General Manager felt that we had done everything to try to make your stay enjoyable, but we were unable to provide you with the particular type of housekeeping service and amenities that you were looking for. This why our General Manager did have the conversation with your husband and offered to waive any cancellation fees if you decided to make the decision to check out, or if you did decide to stay, that you would receive a $50 credit for continuing to stay with us. All we wanted was for you to enjoy your stay, even if it was not with us.

Again, I do apologize that you did not have the kind of experience that you, as well as our team, were hoping for here at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the feedback that you have provided us as we continue to make improvements and provide additional training to our team members so that they can provide excellent service to our guests and provide a hotel that guests love.

Joshua Ross