Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 December 2014

I will preface this review by saying that Oruro is a very remote and underdeveloped city that only really draws outsiders for about 4 days a year, so it would be unfair to judge it by the same standards of a more international city like La Paz. HOWEVER, I've stayed in much cheaper, much cleaner, and much more friendly hotels and hostels in similarly remote places. If it were anywhere else I would have given it one star, but given the relative standards I'm inclined to be slightly more generous.

The good:
-Good hot water, totally acceptable water pressure
-Close to bus station
-Sort of less bad looking than other places I saw?
-Filling breakfast
-They booked me a reservation at their sister hotel in Uyuni which was actually a nice place
-There was wifi in the lobby…**

The bad:
-Was there for a week, no one cleaned the room or even gave me a fresh towel (it wasn't during carnival, so it wasn't because they were busy)
-Cranky teenage girl was at the desk for most of the time and was pretty useless
-Buses stop right out in front so there are always a lot of people outside waiting and/or selling things
-**…but it was really bad wifi that didn't reach my room

The ugly:
-Laughably obvious suspicious white stain on one of the blankets…I'm no princess that's definitely where I draw the grossness line

Room tip: If you're in a room closer to the lobby you'll have a better chance of getting wifi
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Kleonetti
Reviewed 1 July 2014

- USD$36 per night = 240 BS per night = Free breakfast included before 9.30am. They will also give you a call in the morning and ask you if you want to stay for another night.

- Breakfast consists of stale bread, cold ham, cold hard-boiled egg and the highlight was the free flow of coca tea bags and hot water for us.

- Nobody speaks english here. As soon as you arrive, just log on to the wifi and use the translationg app on your smartphone. The service at the front reception is a little hit and miss, sometimes good sometimes bad so cannot really comment. Lets just say its frustrating if you cannot speak spanish.

- No hairdryer/blowdryer

- Be prepared to have a challenging moment when it comes to using the shower. Hot water is too hot while the cold water is difficult to adjust to the temperature you require.

- Bathroom is clean in Bolivia standard but not to the 7-star resort style in America or Europe. Recommend to stay one night here before the day you head off to Uyuni.

- If you stay in the room near the main street facing the bus terminal, it gets very very very noisy. There is a lady out at the front selling minvan tickets during the day. She will be yelling and shouting the whole day to bring business in for the minivan company. Be prepared to have an early morning wakie.

- The bed is super lumpy and bedsheet was not even a bedsheet. It was a flatsheet.

- Free wifi works well in the lobby and second floor near the lobby. Did not work in our room at all.

- Lobby has free water provided.

- If you are catching a train to Uyuni in the afternoon, the girl at the front desk can help you ring a taxi to Oruro train station. Bargain the price down to 10 Bs with the taxi driver. They are more than happy to take you there.

- There is a restaurant linked to the back of the front reception. We saw a lot of people eating at the restaurant during lunchtime. There are a lot of restaurants around that area offering Menu Del Dia options for about 13 Bs, be sure to try one of them because it comes with a salad, soup, main and dessert. It is better than having unhealthy oily chicken at the chicken shops.

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank TravelQueenie365
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I was there during Carnaval, an event that attracted 400 thousand people to the city, according to media reports. I must say that the cost $450 US Dollars for a double room for 3 nights may not reflect the average rate, certainly demand played a role. The place is clean, well mantained, offers a nimble breakfast but not bad.
The "Bad Taste" in my mouth, was the attitude of the shift manager. let me explain: We (2 people) paid for a double room but were placed in a triple. (nothing else was available) the day we arrived we were asked to move to a double, to accommodate a new arrival, we agreed out of courtesy.
After moving to a higher floor, not the best w/o an elevator and over a mile and a half high above the sea level!
I hinted at checkout to get a discount as a courtesy to our flexibility. It was flatly denied, despite the fact that I explained to the same person that had asked us to move out, the undeniable truth, that the hotel made more money(substantial) thanks to our decision to move. She was arrogant and condescending. A total turn off, will I ever go back? No. How they treat a costumer says a lot about a hotel.

Room tip: February is Carnaval month, rates skyrocket, book early, advanced payments are required and credit cards are not the best way to go...anywhere in Oruro.
Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Antonio V
Reviewed 29 December 2012

A lovely European styled hotel located just across the street from the Bus terminus.
In fact, I only decided to try this place after I found out that the place I was supposedly booked in to by Bolivia Travel (and for which a deposit had been paid), was both full, and had not received notice of my reservation anyway. Zero points for Bolivia Travel, who I would suggest to any others, never to use.
The hotel itself is very tastefully decorated, and has a guests lounge on each of the two floors, from which the outside bustle can be very pleasantly observed.
My single room at the Hotel Sumaj Wasi was spacious, well decorated and furnished, and had a comfortably soft queen size bed. They even provide toiletries, including an absolutely lovely scented soap
It is located about twenty minutes’ walk from the city centre, but then from what you see of Oruro, and the fact that most are just passing through using the bus, the hotel is ideally located.
Its rates are very reasonable, and include a very good free breakfast.
Only Spanish is spoken at the hotel, but the staff are very patient and accommodating in reaching ultimate understandings between themselves and guests, and providing personal attention.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank FyingKiwi
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We arrived late at night in Oruro so had to make a quick choice. Not in the usual budget, this place cost us about 22GBP/30USD for the twin room but it was clean, good matresses, cable tv, very hot shower and clean bathroom with soap, shampoo, t.p.. Very comfi over all. The staff were helpful. Breakfast was included and offered instant coffee, teas, bread (not super fresh but Bolivian standard), cheese and some cold hams, jams, eggs to order (but you must order or you won't know you can have them). Drinking water tank in the lobby.

I could park my motorbike in the hotel's closed parking space (major criteria for us) at no extra cost.

Date of stay: September 2012