“Superb hotel”
Review of Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown
Ranked #42 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I have just returned from a week stay in the hotel and i must admit I was concerned before my trip after reading some of the previous reviews.
My trip was fantastic, I stayed in diplomatic suite which had great views of the Dubai fountains. The room was of exceptional quality all round.
The service in the hotel just could not have been better, the staff was amazing.
One reviewer said getting a sunbed would be a problem, I was there during the Easter week and can assure you I had no problems in getting a sunbed and also found it a great extra that you could also get a Cabana at no extra cost.
The location is perfect, I have previously stayed at Jumeriah beach hotels and being in the old town where you can walk to shops and restaurants suited me much more than the beach area.
My only complaint was the price of UK phone calls from the room. I thought they had made a mistake when a 7 minute call cost me £50.
So my advise is stay in the hotel but do not use the phone!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,806)

Reviewed 6 April 2010

This was our fourth trip to Dubai and our priority was to find a hotel well located (in terms of bars and restaurants for the evenings). I'd read with some anxiety the reviews on here but as always, I try to read between the lines to get a more balanced view (how much of the review is down to a high maintenance guest vs a poor hotel).

I'd emailed the hotel explaining that we'd be arriving at about 9.30am and whilst they stated that they couldn't guarantee our room would be ready, they would make every effort to accomodate us after an overnight flight. True to their word, they did make every effort. Zahid checked us in and whilst a room wasn't ready, he took my mobile number and within an hour we had our room, bags already in situe. The room (a deluxe, lake view) was very spacious compared to other Dubai hotels we've stayed in (Al Murooj Rotana, Crowne Plaza) and immaculate. The balcony view was beautiful and as we didn't look over to the fountains, very peaceful. In terms of my review of the hotel facilities;
1. Front of house staff; very courteous and obliging. The concierge was efficient and helpful, our reservations were made without fuss. The door staff were lovely, if somewhat hit and miss (but to be fair I'm not that precious about having taxi doors held open for me!). Unfortunately for them, their demand for service comes in waves, we kept hitting them at a peak!
2. Rooms / housekeeping: Exceptional! We were constantly asking the housekeeping staff for extra bottles of water as we passed them in the corridoors and eventually they'd see us coming and get them ready (it was 100 degrees, rehydration was essential, lol!). I'd read a number of poor reviews about the housekeeping staff and despite being at the very end of a hallway, we received wonderful service from them.
3. Pool area; Friendly, efficient staff, very obliging. Again, I'd read reviews about lack of beds. Each time we were by the pool, they found us either beds or a cabana, provided plenty of towels nothing was too much trouble.
4. Bars and Restaurants; We ate by the pool one lunchtime which was nice enough. As expected in an area surrounded by lush gardens and water, flies are a problem but you expect that! Asado was first class! As a veggie until recently I had the pleasure of enjoying my very first steak in this wonderful restaurant. The staff were helpful, not too pushy with wine choices and the service was exceptional. We also had cocktails at Fai which we found to be somewhat oppressive (in terms of ambience). It was very quiet but the waiter / manager was somewhat over attentive and seeking compliments / reassurance. It was a shame really as a more hands off approach would've been far more appropriate and we could've simply enjoyed our drinks.

I really would reccomend this hotel to anyone. It's location is superb, we brought goodies back from the Souk (courtessy of Spinneys and Cariba Coffe) and enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in our room (rather than head for the buffet). There are a huge number of bars and restaurants within a 5/10 minute walk (I'd recommend Bice, Calibar, Karma Kafe, Margeaux, Shakespeare & Co, Armani Cafe) so there's more than enough to keep the most demanding guest occupied. The Dubai Mall is a treat, a real shoppers heaven. However I wonder how sustainable all this Mall building is as we noticed a significant increase in prices from our last visit, I suspect the average Joe tourist may soon be deterred from Dubai.

That said, a great hotel, superb staff and a wonderful experience.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank finchaa
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I stayed in room 580. The hotel is amazing. Good breakfast and my room had an extraordinary view on the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We are from the US and we were there from March 7-13. I brought my 80 year old mom with me as I was attending a conference at the convention center. The staff was incredibly gracious,polite,hospitable and really pampered my mom when she was tired in the evening. I had a few concerns about our stay after reading some unpleasant reviews, but this was the most wonderful stay in a hotel that either of us have ever had. The quality of food,service, and attention to detail was superb. They have recently recruited(stole) some executive staff from the Ritz-Carlton and it shows. The location was great for us and it was truly an oasis in a sea of chrome and steel high rises. I was there during the "private" event. The hotel gave us adequate notice of this and I think the person who complained about this was exaggerating about the inconvenience. It was an evening event, and in March, people are not out wanting to use the pool area on that night or any other nights while we were there. Even though I may never have a reason to visit Dubai again in the future, the experience at this hotel was so wonderful I may just have to find a reason to return!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2010

What a luxurious hotel! My most expensive hotel that I stayed in, but who says Dubai is cheap?! A completely different character to the larger hotels - relatively small hotel with true Arabian decor. Charming staff who could not do enough for you. Was allowed to check in early at no extra charge (8am) by emailing in advance. Great amenities - outdoor pool; look up when you swim and you see the Burj Khalifa towering over you! Indoor spa/jacuzzi and steam room (separate one for men and women) and gym. Excellent buffet breakfast. Spacious rooms, overlooking the lake and the Address Hotel. Very comfortable nights sleep. Great location - minutes from Dubai Mall (largest mall in the world with nightly fountain show) and Burj Khalifa and Souk Al Bahar.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends