“Golden Sands 3 -5 -10”

Golden Sands Hotel Apartments
Ranked #203 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We passed through Dubai three times in two months and were booked into Golden Sands. We thought always Golden Sands 3 where we stayed the first time but were changed to 5 the second time and to 10 the third time.
3 was the most basic apartment but still had all we required and we felt value for money. 5 was a better standard so better value for money. 10 was a large two bedroom apartment ( a double and twin) as we had our daughter and two children with us. It was disappointing as we had made it clear that there were three adults and this meant one had to sleep in the pull out sofa which was not very comfortable. Otherwise a good apartment.
All three apartments came with a well equipped kitchen and had a washing/drying machine. 3 & 5 which were adjacent to each other and shared the pool and dining room. 10 had its own as it was a little distance apart. 10 also included a children's playroom. There was a 'business centre' available which was useful as it included a computer and printer. Our price included breakfast which we thought was good value.
The staff were all friendly and helpful. One issue we had was the 'hotel taxis' which tended to be more expensive then the normal taxi. No meter so you needed to be very aware of what to pay. Another problem we had was trying to get an actual address for any of the apartments. Not a problem when you use a taxi but can be when you are trying to find one from the train station. The streets are all named but as most are number names which were confusing.
Would we stay there again? Yes as we found them well located, but then again so are the many other hotels and apartments in the same area.

Room Tip: Don't have one on a floor near the pool area - can be noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Michael K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,196)

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We, family of 4, stayed in GS10 for 4 nights in a three bedroom appts. Even though we booked for 2 bedroom appts, we were upgraded to 3 at the time of check in. This was a great experience. The appt has three spacious bedrooms, very large living and dining space and a large kitchen. Very neat and clean. The complimentary Wi-Fi was fast. we booked our 'Burj Khalifa' tickets in room and took printouts from Business Center. It was very convenient.

Initially, the swimming pool looked little smaller than expected, but it was good enough to enjoy. The GS10 is very conveniently located. Spinnies, the departmental store is close by and other Indian restaurants-Sukh Sagar, Chappan Bhog are in close vicinity.Staff was very helpful. Govt taxis were available almost all the time. Not very far from Creek, Gold Souk, Dubai Mall etc. There was a free shuttle everyday to take us to Jumeriah beach.

Overall this was a experience which was better than expected.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AshokAgarwal
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Golden Sands apartment takes a whole block in Dubai. As far as I understood 1 is the oldes, 10 is the newest bulding. Our was GS 3 adjoined to GS 5, I did not see big difference between those 2. The hotel looks like concrete 7 store apartment block. It was clean and simple, but quite old. Room was spacious, unfoldable bed was OK for our 9 years old, but it was not ready when we had arrived, so we hadhad to wait untill someone comes and makes up the bed, which was rather unconvinient 5 o''clock in the morning.
Kitchen had everything necessary for simple cooking. The balcony is almost non existant, it is more like a french window. It is not allowed to hang out anything on the balcony, so we had to dry our swimming suits and beacj topwels in the shower room.
Breakfast was very simple, our daughter ate almost nothing there, for adults it was OK. There were variety of Indian dishes. Guests are very international, indians, pakistanians, locals, russians, english, german and fdremnch speaking, some eastern europens.

I think during our stay the hotel was full most of the time.
We had booked the hotel via travel agency in Latvia because we needed a visa and we knew before hand we would be staying at GS 3. Our friend had booked just GS without number via booking engine. I had contacted the hotel asking if we can stay at the same building. I did not receieve any reply, butr when we arrived we found out we are staying next door, so we were very gratefull to the hotel.

THere are 2 swimmong pools available - one in GS 3, near the restaurant, very small, always full of kids, but it get warm very quickly and it is noce atmosphere there - music, then barbeque at noon. The second pool is on the roof of GS 5 - always very cold, and it is windy there, but not so many people.

The hotel offers free of charge transfer to the beach, but we read aboiut it only on the last day, so we had never used it.

Room Tip: we wre on 7th floor, was OK, don't expect any view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Pilseta
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I booked this place because of the attractive prices and close to the old town (well but in fact not THAT close, though there is a metro station within a 10-minute walk). The staff were very nice and helpful during check in and check out, and seemed willing to help if you have any queries. I stayed in 2 rooms during my stay because of different booking, and the first one I stayed was not very good, with smell of sewage in toilet though the place was very clean indeed. The room is spacious especially since I travelled alone, with a very large king size bed and a living room area. The kitchenette is nice with every utensils you needed for cooking and all looked clean though I didn't have chance to use them, and there are washing machine and microwave oven as well. The best part to stay in this place is the free wired internet which is not free in many hotels (I tried to search this for hours on hotel booking website). There is a pool on top of the building and I only got time to try it once, it seemed quite nice staying there and enjoy the sunshine. Overall I had a pleasant stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on 7/F so that you can get to the pool at the top easily
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Louis L
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks on a business trip and chose it specifically for the unlimited free internet however the first night I couldn't get it and on my 2nd night a technician spent a couple of hours sorting it, but sort it he did.

The hotel is plain and simple although there are two pools and the rooftop one was quiet with plenty of space unlike the 1st floor pool. Overall is relatively quiet as it's off the main road althogh this had it's disadvantages too as some taxi drivers had trouble finding Golden Sands 3 as there are 11 of them all in the same area.

The kitchenette was good value and after a supermarket trip to Spinneys (10 dirham taxi ride away) I made myself breakfast and dinner each day - mainly due to my work schedule. I did try the restaurant once but it was over priced and basically fast food meals. Two or three doors down the road is a small 'supermarket' which had basic things and was 24/7.

The room did have a washing machine but as it was a washing machine/dryer in one I didn't use it as I don't like them.

All rooms had a balcony and mine over looked the pool which was quite pleasant. Also the room was actually quite big when I compared to colleagues who were staying elsewhere and paying more.

I had to get a taxi to work every morning and it was relatively easy to hail a cab in the street - they were quite plentiful - late one afternoon I used the hotel's 'limousine service' - a glorified cab with no advantages which was three times the price of a normal cab so beware of that trick.

All in all it was a pleasant place to stay - the hotel staff are courteous but basically leave you alone and don't volunteer anything unless asked. The lifts were quite busy at work times as I was aware that many expats actually live in the building full time.

Would recommend it for people on a budget who aren't going to spend a lot of time in the ritzier malls and Jumeriah beach area as it's miles away and cost a fortune in taxi's to get there.

Room Tip: All rooms were realtively quiet although overlooking the pool is better than facing brick walls and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business