“Golden Sands 3”

Golden Sands Hotel Apartments
Ranked #205 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at this apartment complex in early February 2012 for 7 nights.

I arrived early due to flight timings so was asked to wait in the foyer until my room was available (3 hours or so) but the staff were happy to secure my luggage until the room was free and so I decided to go take a walk to the nearby shop to get some things in for the room (bread, milk etc). On returning 20 minutes later I found my luggage still beside the reception desk but with a label on it with my name - not the security I was expecting!

I actually got my room after only another hour of waiting and still before the normal 2pm time so that was good. The room was very spacious and had a huge bed. There was a shower, not bath, and the kitchenette area was well designed with adequate worktop space for food preparation. There was sufficient pots, pans, crockery and utensils available for 4 people. In addition there was a microwave, fridge, electric hob and a washer/dryer. The in-room safe was large enough for a laptop to be secured. Wired internet (free) is available and is surprisingly fast and far better than I have found in other hotels in Dubai. The TV shows some English language channels including BBC World news and Fox Movies.

I took a tour of the building facilities to see if it matched the brochure. There is a small pool which is next to a restaurant and the gym. All 3 are on the 1st floor with the pool being outside on a sun terrace. There are 7 floors in total which does affect the amount of hours the sun can reach that area but even in February it was fine from about 9am - 3pm.

The gym is well stocked with modern machinery including 3 treadmills, 2 rowers, a bike, plenty of loose weights and a couple of weight machines. There is plenty of water available but you will need to take your own towel.

The restaurant serves breakfast, a daily BBQ by the pool, and an evening all-you-can-eat buffet from 6:30pm - 10pm (AED 69 pp)

The only complaint I have for the room is that the dryer function of the washing machine did not work and when I complained to the Housekeeping they sent an engineer to my room who twiddled some knobs, pushed some buttons, opened and closed the door and declared it perfectly serviceable. I disagreed as I had run 3 cycles and I still had wet clothes in there. He went away and came back 15 minutes later with a replacement machine. This impressed me until a fellow guest at the hotel came along to my room and asked the mechanic where his washing machine had gone from his room (next door!). End result was I got my clothes dried eventually and my neighbour got a new machine and a bowl of fruit.

Overall, the Golden Sands 3 was a perfectly adequate apartment with daily room cleaning and towel exchange. Facilities are good, if slightly dated in places, but still good value. The location is very handy for the shops, restaurants, and entertainment with a decent sized supermarket (Spinney's) within a 5 minute walk and 3 English-themed sports bars within 10 minutes. The Metro is also 5 minutes walk to get you to the main Malls.

Be aware that there are Golden Sands 1 - 10 and this review is only for Golden Sands 3. I have also stayed at Golden Sands 5 during this trip and a separate review is available for that. I'm writing this review in my room at GS 5 and will save you the trouble by saying already that GS 3 rooms are better than GS 5 but not by much. Both buildings share the same pool/restaurant/gym facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor are convenient for the pool, gym and restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Happytravellerman
There are newer reviews for Golden Sands Hotel Apartments

Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel in Jan12. I didn't explore the surrounding area as I had no much time in Dubai. Highly advisable to take a cab from the nearest metro station to the hotel as cab fare is cheap and you don't need to wonder around. It takes 10-15mins to reach airport from the hotel. The room is big. Kitchen utensils and washing machine provided. However, the washing machine in my room couldn't work properly as it couldn't dry my clothes (or I didn't know how to set it). Overall, I would love to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Beaniee
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have just come back from 10 days in Dubai stopping at GS 5. We found the hotel appartment ideal for what we wanted. It was clean, the staff were friendly polite and efficient, and it was close and convenient enough to all the local amenities. Our room was spacious and came equipped with cooking and washing facilities, as well as all the standard stuff. Towels and tea and coffee were replenished daily, and the room cleaned also on a daily basis. We ate twice at the hotel (the restaurant is lovely and airy) and found the food very respectable (lamb chops, chips and extras about £8). We got the room for a good price, although the advertised rates at the hotel were much higher. All in all a good experience and would definately reccomend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RicohWiltshire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went 5 families to Dubai and found that 4 apartments in Golden Sands 10 (2 bedroom apartments) was suitable for us. First one must understand that Golden Sands is a group of individual buildings, each offering separate services. The only co-operation is that if you stay in one, you may use the facilities of the others (like indoor pool in one, rooftop pool in another, gym, wi-fi, etc.)
Golden Sands no. 10 is located on the southern edge of the area, close to a 24x7 supermarket, and with a pool in the centre of a building creating a square around it. Apartments either give on the pool or the street, most (but not all) have balcony (large ones) and are both spacious, clean and reasonably equipped with furniture. Kitchenware is just enough to get you through the day, but only just. You should either bring your own bread knife of buy the cheapest one in the supermarket (18 AED).
There is internet by cable in all rooms, only wi-fi close to the reception. There is also a coffee shop but none of us used it, having the cheap supermarket nearby. There is a desk for car rental and easy access to a tour desk in Golden Sands no. 3.
Staff is friendly and helpful, making sure that you get all the information and understand it. Also they can arrange for taxis or limo's, also for a day tour (we paid 600 AED for 11 hours in a 4x4 that took 7 persons, wnet to Abu Dhabi with us and were very helpful). Metro and a large shopping mall is within 10 minutes walk.

Room Tip: We prefer pool side, avoiding the noise from traffic and mosques.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Jacob57
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I visited the hotel apartments at GS 10. They werent plush but for the price (then) it was a good deal and has the facilities we needed.

However now looking at their prices..they have shot up and not worth it. They are a 3 star hotel. Reservations arent helpful> you can email then many times and they wont get back to you unless you call.

We stayed last year for a month..this year the price has shot up by £600 pre easter!

Rubbish conceirge. I had a pram and shopping they never helped me up the stairs to the reception area of the hotel and dont get you a taxi if you need one. Only time they helped was when I was leaving to take the baggage to a cab I flagged down..I assume to get tip

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family