“Beautiful new hotel but very limited dining options for its size.”

Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah
Ranked #186 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Worcestershire
“Beautiful new hotel but very limited dining options for its size.”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed four nights in this impressive looking new hotel over February half term with children aged 14 and 11. A real wow factor on arrival especially as two Rolls Royce Phantoms and a Lamborghini parked outside the main entrance. Staff very welcoming and friendly and we were promptly shown to our impressive 2 bedroom suite with three bathrooms! Very spacious rooms and extremely comfortable beds, flat screen tvs and fully fitted kitchen all superb. The pool and beach areas also excellent and I would certainly stay again BUT the dining options are very limited especially if you have taken a half board option. There was little if any selection really suited to children with no 'childrens menu' on offer and we were suprised that there was only one restaurant. Breakfast was good and plenty of selection, but lunchtime always posed problems with waiters as no one was quite sure what food we could have on half board. A poolside menu was available with a good choice but producing a daily menu with the half board option proved difficult on more than one occasion. None of the staff were sure whether the daily beach BBQ was available as a half board option. However the food we did have was good but the hotel needs to provide much more in the way of half board and childrens menus. Despite the hotel still only 6 months old it seems staff training in the dining room needs addressing! On one occasion our cutlery was changed three times before we had seen any food!
I would recommend staying but only on a bed and breakfast basis and eat out in the evening in one of the amazing shopping malls taking the free shuttle bus service or a taxi. Note also that children are not allowed in the bar area next to the dining room so there is no facility to enjoy a pre dinner drink unless its at your table.
The hotel was booked through British Airways and I would add that the package was a good price with excellent transfers, a large BMW was our vehicle to the hotel and two cars took us back to the airport, an Audi A8 and a Mercedes! The BA flight was good on schedule both ways, although the World Traveller food is still not as good as Emirates!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Buddyboyy
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Buddyboyy,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm personally pleased to hear that we could make your family vacation enjoyable. I appreciate your valid point on half board options and choice of dining outlets. Taking your feedback into consideration, I will discuss this with our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef and find suitable solution.

I will definitely be looking forward to welcome you, your family and children once again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Burkhard Wolter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel considered to be one of the luxury hotels in Dubai. The facilities (rooms, beach, restaurant…etc) are well structured with top notch furnitures. However, this is does not justify the poor service and ignorance of our requests. We didn’t feel that we are valuable customers. I stayed along with my family in two suites for 8 nights and paid almost 40,000 SAR (13,260 $) and they treated us as a normal or even less valuable customer. This really made me disappointed and I talked with their management several times but unfortunately no response. Upon my arrival to my home I sent another letter to Kempinski management but again they didn’t give me any feedback. One point to add, the housekeeping was horrible.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank komosani
Dear Komosani,

First of all, thank you for taking time to leave your feedback. Your comments will help us to improve our services to a very level Kempinski is committed to. I am sorry to learn that you experienced a poor service when having a stay with us. Using your constructive feedback, I'll be pushing forward a Kempinski standard training for my team and I do hope that you will consider coming back again and I will be delighted to welcome you personally and provide Kempinski's 5 Star service.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I'm sorry...kempinski pride themselves by the notion that they've been in the hotel business for over 100 years. If you were unfortunate enough to be at this one in the first week of January, you'd think they'd never run a hotel before!

Where to start? Arrived early, room not ready. Not a problem. They suggested breakfast. It was cold. Went to first room. It overlooked a construction site. It hadn't been snagged and there were no electrical sockets. You couldn't even plug the bed side lamps in. We were moved to another room, which had been snagged. It was excellent. Feeling better...

First night...gas is cut off. No hot food! Are they serious? Forced Decamp to Atlantis...amazing. Day two; Pool - service is the worst I have experienced any where in the world ever! (including the carribean
- at least the Bajans are cool
In being slow!) - it took 45 mins to get a glass of sprite (provided you went to remind them after 40 mins). Pool bar wasn't open. Pool restaurant was still being built (despite a reassurance from the hotel directly before I booked that everything was finished). Not particularly relaxing while they cut tiles for the badly needed 2nd restaurant. Shall I go on?

Ah..being woken at 2am as a dozy cleaner decides that it is the best time to use a floor cleaning machine outside our room door!?

The service staff are simply appalling, with the exception of the spa staff who were great. The spa - actually it isnt really a spa! It is some treatment rooms; no jacuzzi, no sauna, no steam...spa is a slightly optimistic description. Gym; rubbish. Two treadmills is hardly sufficient for the size of the complex. Went three times; three times returned having not used equipment, because they were in use.

Lunch - it took one hour for the pool staff to bring the menu! It became a standing joke. By the end of the week, we had spent time purposefully away from the hotel because the service was doing my head in. I even went to a supermarket to buy my own drinks so I didn't have to ask anyone for a drink? Can you believe it? I certainly can't...

I brought it to the attention of management...did they sort it? Did they make it better? No. It actually got worse. The manager actually suggested I went to stay elsewhere, which makes me sound like the guest from hell. I'm not. I have never written a review before. I have never before felt compelled to write to a hotel manager whilst in residence to outline the extensive issues I faced. To suggest I go elsewhere was insulting.

The rooms were great and I suspect once phase two is complete and the staff have been (a) sacked (b) more recruited and (c) trained...this will one day be a fabulous resort.
As of now it isn't...I may try it again in 2-3 years time.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank jlbwillow
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Jasonlb,

We at Kempinski do understand the importance of fulfilling our guests expectations and it concerns me greatly that you have departed our hotel on a negative note.

While thanking you for your time compiling the constructive feedback , do rest assured that I have shared your concern with my team making sure such shortfalls will remain isolated.

We are constantly striving to improve our service and facilities. Ascertaining service excellence is what Kempinski Hotels are renowned for worldwide and failing to do so is not the way we would like to associate ourselves and our services with .

Will look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Sincerely Yours,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to celebrate an occassion, but the stay was totally unpleasant. Looks fabulous from outside but not worth the feel. The staff needed to be reminded several times for things requested. Lacks training. Not worth the stay at all. Despite sending a complaint to the management, there was no action taken.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Madhan S
Dear Madhan S,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review and your comments & constructive feedback.
I sincerely apologise that your experience with us did not meet your prospects. Taking your review very seriously, I will bring this issue for a discussion with my team and take an action. However, I do hope that we will get a second chance to welcome you back to reach your expectations and restore the value.

Sincerely Yours,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Enjoyed our stay, staff were extremely helpful. The property is beautiful with spacious apartments well equipped, with beds like clouds.will defiantly re vist.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Aeldin
Dear Aeldin,

Thank you for your so positive comment regarding your stay with us here at Kempinski Palm Jumeirah. I am glad you have enjoyed the hotel including our cloud-like beds.

I will look forward to welcoming you back again.

With my Best Regards,