“Way below expectations”

Ranked #64 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Basel, Switzerland
“Way below expectations”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Having stayed at a number of Sofitels around the world, I had high expectations on this one in Dubai. Unfortunately it was a disappointment.

Firstly, we had to wait several hours for our room to become available. As compensation, they offered late check-out, which I already was entitled to anyway, with my Le Club gold card. No upgrades were available as the hotel was full. Usually godl members also get a drink voucher and a welcome gift, but at this hotel, the drink voucher was the welcome gift. Silly to skimp out on such a small benefit, I think.

When we finally got the room, the condition was plainly unacceptable: several loose fittings and stained and worn furniture. When asked to change rooms, first another Superior room seemed to be available, but then not. Instead we got upgraded to a Luxury room (number 2109), but could only check in very late in the evening.

The room quality issues continued on the second day, when the bedsheets had big holes int hem! On my request the staff did change them, but it boggles the mind how this could even happen at what they call a luxury hotel.

Highlights of the Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach include the pool and poolside area on the third floor, which has great ocean views, and a fine breakfast. The location s good if you're looking for beach access (though no private beach) and want to stay in a touristy sort of area. Finding a cab at peak hours was sometimes a problem though, mainly due to traffic congestion.

Based on our three nights stay, with the issues mentioned above, I would recommend avoiding the Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach. With its dated design and maintenance, I would suggest that Accor downgrade it from their luxury brand Sofitel to a more appropriate Pullman or Novotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kanaman
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I am happy to know that you are a regular guest at Sofitel hotels. I apologise for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. Please write to me on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae as I would like to make things right for you for future.
I will share your feedback with all the departments so that we can improve in all the areas that you've mentioned in your review. We take all the comments seriously as it helps us in improving our service standards.

I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sami Nasser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We booked this hotel for a recent 4 night stay to visit the World Cup at Meydan. The first two days were fine with acceptable service and good facilities in the hotel. However, on returning from the races on Saturday night we had a note pushed throught the door explaining that due to a private event the pool area and bar would be unavailable from 5pm the following day until Wednesday. We were due to leave on Tuesday night. Obviously many guests were unhappy with this development, particularly that it was communicated in that way. It turns out that this event had been booked for some 12 months. We would not have booked here had we known, nor would we have checked in on the Friday. I suspect they knew this and that was behind their reluctance to communicate the bad news in advance. We moved to the Hilton down the beach to enjoy the remainder of our trip. Totally unacceptable and not something you expect from a so-called 5 star hotel. The end of our relationship with Sofitel hotels.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stockporttwo
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent trip to Dubai for the World Cup. I deeply apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the pool closure. I understand you are upset also because of the way it was communicated to you. Could you please send me an email on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae? I would like to discuss this matter further with you and prevent you from ending your relationship with Sofitel hotels.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Scotland
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my parents and partner and can honestly say that I could not fault anything. It was just brilliant and we would love to go back! The service, friendliness and professionalism on all of the staff we had the pleasure of dealing with was first class, other hotels could take lessons from this one!

Our room was beautiful with an amazing bathroom and the best bed in the world! It was also immaculate with lots of lovely touches!

Breakfast was just brilliant. We also dined I the hotel on two evenings, again we were not disappointed, the food was first class. Quality, quantity and presentation were brilliant.

I really could go on and on about this hotel but I think the best thing to say is just go! It is an experience not to miss and I really hope we will get to go back!

Stayed March 2012
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach with your parents and partner. I am elated to know that your stay was most pleasant and that you appreciate the high level of professionalism displayed by our Ambassadors.
I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about the service and facilities provided in the hotel. I will share your feedback as part of the Management policy.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dubai.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was our first visit to Dubai and just a two night stopover on the way home from New Zealand. We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality and location of this hotel. Our room was superb - quite luxurious, very comfortable, very well appointed, great view and not at all worn. Hotel breakfasts (included on our deal) were excellent. Didn't try the restaurant for lunch or dinner as it was rather pricey. Just outside the hotel there are loads of restaurants offering very reasonably priced meals of a wide range of cuisines. Would very happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheWilkosUK
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I am glad were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and services offered. I hope now this is your impression of Sofitel brand. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I will share it with the Management. Do not hesitate to contact me on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae if you need any assistance in future.

Melbourne
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I recently stayed at the sofitel for a short holiday in Dubai for the World Cup at Meydan. This is one of the few 'five star' hotels I've stayed in that is just that.

From the moment you step out of the hotel car or taxi, you are welcomed as if they have been awaiting your arrival. The staff are all so polite and willing to help and answer every question. The guest definitley comes first here.

The moment you step into the hotel, the lobby tells you just about everything you need to know. It's welcoming, modern, well designed and comforting almost. I stayed in a luxery king size room with the ocean facing balcony, and I couldn't fault it. The size was perfect, the bed one of the most comfortable I have slept in, and the bathroom modern and roomy.

When we arrive from an early morning flight, our room was not ready (we didn't expect it to be, considering check in wasn't until 3pm). However, the helpful staff showed us up to the health and fitness centre level where we could shower and change. Our room was ready by shorty after 10am, which was a pleasant surprise.

Apart from going to the races, we had no idea what we wanted to do, but concierge gave us many ideas and booked a great desert safari for us one evening. Nothing seems too much for them.

I've read a few people complaining about the location of the hotel. Yes, it is a good 25-30mins from the airport, but what does that matter when the airport transfer service they offer is fairly cheap and taxis are readily available 24hrs a day and also extremely cheap. The hotel is a 30 second walk across the road to a popular, and clean beach. The Palm Jumeirah is 20mins away and so is the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa. There are plenty of nice restaurants all within walking distance, too.

The one very minor disappointment came when we found that the steam room, sauna and shower room was closed at 10pm but no one had advised us that this facility closed at 10, but like I say, a very minor inconvenience.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Sofitel. In short, it's clean, the staff are very friendly and it offers a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: The ocean facing rooms have a lovely view, and are away from direct sunlight until laer in the day.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank NoChanceToDance
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach for the Dubai World Cup. I am excited to know that your stay was great. Luxury room offers one of the best views amongst all the room categories. Our concierge is a member of one of the prestigious organisations and are highly appreciated by guests. I am glad to know that you liked the hotel location, your bedroom, service, and the ambience.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I will share it with the Management team as part of hotel policy.