See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 November 2011

If one word had to describe Aleppo's TOURIST HOTEL it would have to be "sparkling". Other words would include "friendly", "helpful" and "inexpensive".
After a less than satisfactory experience at Dar Halabia the night before (see separate review), we arrived at the Tourist Hotel around noon without reservations and asked Leslie (who speaks English) if we might see a room. She hesitated, "the room is not ready". We told her we understood it was too early to check in, but we just wanted to see a room and if it was messy we didn't mind. "The room has no furniture," she explained. "Every six months we take everything out and wash the walls." The room gleamed; literally. We talked to others who also reported their rooms were clean-clean.
We admit there is no art on the walls, its name doesn’t cause excitement and the common guest areas lack charm but we didn’t come to Aleppo to lock ourselves away in a hotel ... what we require is cleanliness, comfortable sleep, good value and location ... the Tourist Hotel was the right choice for us. The only downside we could find is that they did not have wifi ... at least you know up-front instead of being told "it is not working today".
Some rooms share bathrooms while others have ensuites. We paid a little more for a 3 bed room with ensuite. Room 14 came to approximately $30 US double occupancy per night. The beds were comfortable with foam mattresses. Furniture in the room included night tables with drawers, a wardrobe with plenty of hangers, a coat rack, chairs and desk. The gleaming large bathroom has an open shower area, toilet and sink. Room 14 has a small balcony; other rooms we could see had larger balconies or none - so if it is important, ask. Room 14 was one room up from reception and the breakfast room was one floor down from reception (no elevator). The breakfast was simple with real juice, tea, coffee, bread, butter, jams, cheese and olives served family style at a table with other guests. Our morning host was welcoming and a bit of a comedian.
The Tourist Hotel is in the New City, approximately a 15 minute walk to the Bab Antakaya gate - the western entrance to the Old City souq. WALKING DIRECTIONS: From the New City clock tower (intersection of Sh al-Maari and Sh Bab al-Faraj) walk west along Sh al-Maari to the second street on right, Sh ad-Dala. The Tourist Hotel is approximately one and a half blocks along Sh ad-Dala on the left just across from Spring Flower Hostel.
“Travel Tales Images of Syria - Aleppo: Old City” is a video which features the Tourist Hotel and surrounding area.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so you will need to use the stairs. Some rooms share bathrooms while others have private ensuites. Some rooms have big or small balconies while others have none at all. Let them know what you want or require and they will do their best to make you comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveltales-ca
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We stayed here a few days after our tour of the Middle East ended, as we were now on our own. It is a modest place, but I agree that the staff is friendly and the hotel (once you find it) is well located. Since there are no house numbers in Aleppo, and the hotel isn't well known to taxi drivers, the best way to describe finding it by walking is:

1. Ask your taxi driver to take you to the Hotel Baron (stress on the second syllable), a well known landmark.
2. As you are on the sidewalk facing the front of Hotel Baron, turn right (away from the railway station) and go to the corner.
3. Turn left at this corner, and head toward the Christian Quarter (Jdeida) some two blocks. From the corner by the Hotel Baron, you may well see the hotel sign ahead.
4. Turn right at the hotel sign. The Tourist Hotel will be on your right just a few steps away from your turn.

The hotel is on a small street with a lot of tire and auto supply shops. Kind of busy with business-type street noise during the day, but not too bad. At night, things quiet down.

I hope this helps!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Although you seem to be smack in the middle of a quick fit centre this hotel is in a great location. The description in the guide book makes it sound a little sterile which it certainly isn't! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff vwery nice and helpful. The layout of breakfast leads to easy chatting with fellow travellers.

Tours can be arranged by the hotel with fellow travellers although be aware that the half day trip to the dead cities does not actually visit the dead cities

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The room and toilet are spacious. We took 2 double rooms with a balacony. Staff is helpful. But beware when you take taxi to there for the 1st time as many are confused with another "Tourism Hotel" nearby. This hotel is located in a small and quiet street and even locals are not aware of it. It's near Raga Hotel in Baron Street.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I have stayed in this hotel previously & found it comfortable. However, last time I tried to stay there I made a telephone booking & they told me they would be full for the next 4 days until the Sunday. I said I'll postpone my arrival until then & I gave them my name & nationality & they told me a room will be ready for me. Upon arrival on Sunday early afternoon I was told that they had no record of my reservation & that the hotel was full! In my opinion, a hotel which does not honour telephone bookings is clearly not to be trusted.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo