Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
BrownBeachBum
Sydney, Australia
3.5 stars; above-average if you book the right room!
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Sept 2012
I spent a total of five nights at the Luang Prabang Bakery Guesthouse during my visit. This period was divided between two of the front-facing (balcony) rooms. The first two nights was spent in the 'middle' of the three balcony rooms (I think this was Room #3) and the final three nights was in the 'furthermost' balcony room (Room #5 I think). There was a big difference between the size and quality of the two rooms, with Room #5 DEFINITELY being a far superior choice for exactly the same price - it was bigger, better furnished, and brighter. (See my photos for a comparison.)

I booked well in advance, but after walking around Luang Prabang a bit and chatting with a few people, I tend to agree with other posters that the Bakery Guesthouse is a little over-priced. Having said that, this is a VERY well-positioned guesthouse (just a few metres from where the night markets commence), the building itself is charming and full of character, the balconies are a terrific place to relax and watch the world go by, and the food served downstairs is good quality. The bathrooms are older style (no separate shower/shower-screen etc), which can be messy, but I'm used to this traveling through many parts of Asia.

Personally, I found the staff to be friendly and engaging. (Just remember that although Luang Prabang is a tourist hot-spot, the locals are still learning the whole tourist business, and what you might perceive to be "rudeness" might actually be lack of confidence, fear, embarrassment on their part due to language/cultural barriers etc)

I would stay here again - perhaps just for the first couple of nights - and depending on the time of year I would look around town to see what else is available/prices for the rest of my stay.
Date of stay: December 2011
    AU$129
    AU$161
2.2 km from Luang Prabang Bakery Guesthouse
View more hotels in Luang Prabang
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Booked 2 rooms through Asia Web Direct and in hindsight realise we paid paid far too much for our rooms. Mine was at the front with a lovely balcony whereas my friends were at the back and their view was of the back yard. My room was nicely furnished with quite a good bathroom & it was clean. The staff were friendly in the reception area, however the staff in the bakery/restaurant seemed extremely inexperienced and the service was just OK. The biggest problem I had was that having paid my deposit by Credit Card which was mandatory through Asia Web Direct, decided to pay the balance of the bill by the same method even though I had the cash on me. Was quite annoyed when a couple of weeks later discovered my Credit Card transaction appeared on my Credit Card statement as a cash advance which incurred set up fees and ongoing interest even though I transferred the full amount as soon as the mistake was discovered. Made enquiries with Asia Web Direct and they maintained that the Bakery and Guesthouse had processed my payment as a Credit transation. On the other hand my Bank was adament that they received a Cash Advance transaction from the Merchant bank in question. So between paying my account at the Luang Prabang Bakery and Guesthouse reception and it reaching my bank it mysteriously became as Cash Advance. No one would accept responsibility at the SE Asia end and it took numerous e-mails to my Mastercard provider before they changed the transaction to a Credit one as opposed to a Cash Advance, still I had already incurred set up fees and an interest payment. So, beware!! I would advise anyone staying there to pay the bill in cash.

Room tip: Front rooms with a view of the street are much better.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank lorrainemargaret
Reviewed 30 April 2012

seemed like we were the only guests when we stayed.staff didnt really speak english,nor were they very helpful with any questions we had re tours,prices etc.Its mainly a bakery/restaurant with the rooms as an afterthought.shoes not allowed to be worn in hotel which was weird!Our room was 35USD a night for a double,spacious comfy, lovely bed,great AC, free water and fresh towels. Bathroom was lovely, but flooded everytime you showered which we complained about but they did nothing about.Location is on the main street, but there are much better places to stay and probably better value for money. We booked late so this was the best we could get!

Room tip: Stay elsewhere for cheaper!
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank europeangirl
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Very good location. NIce balcony. Clean. Friendly staff. Breakfast mediocre. Room is very small. All in all: too expensive.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Thee2
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The hotel where I was staying couldn't accommodate me for an extra night so I moved here. For $10 more a night than the previous place, I got a room half the size and twice as dirty.
The stairs at this place are dangerously slippery - avoid for that reason alone. The balcony is nice for watching tak bat without interfering, but that also means that your neighbors' smoke filters into your room. The bathroom is very awkward and doesn't drain well.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank EydneW
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We have recently visited Luang Prabang (Jan/Feb '12), we didn't stay in the accomodation section, but several times we ate in the bakery. The first time the food and drinks was excellent, althought very expensive for Laos. The second time the service deteriated, the third time we said 'this is the last time!' The staff are miserable and the service became poorer each time we sat down. The best food is still the local food served elsewhere. This bakery has 'westenized' the food , you might as well be in Europe.

Room tip: Check rooms before booking.
Date of stay: January 2012