“Luang Prabang Fine Dining”
Review of Arisai - CLOSED

Arisai
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2011

As with a lot of restaurants in Luang Prabang it doesn't look like much from the front, stepping upstairs you find a beautifully laid out and stylish dining room. The waiters speak very passable English and provide excellent service.

Compared to everywhere else we ate in town this menu is quite expensive (24000 Kip for a large bottle of Beerlao), however the food presented was probably the best we had during our stay, complimented by a above average wine list.

If you're looking to splurge a little while in Luang
Prabang then this might just be the place to do it.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I was greeted by slouching servers who were more interested in talking to each other and looking at their mobile phones than receiving guests. Service was fast enough, but the vegetarian lasagna I ordered was filled with potatoes and carrots.-.-? Kind of tasted like an under-cooked hashbrown. No recognizable cheese except what was an inpenatrable brown shell on the top. They brought out weird plastic, flickering, fake Chinese "candles" to put on the tables. Just a weird, less-than-pleasant experience all around. Maybe my expectations were too high...

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Arisai is a great little restaurant in the heart of old Luang Prabang. It could just as well be in Aix-en-Provence. The menu featured local ingredients with a French twist and some typical Provençal dishes. Our food looked and tasted great. The wine list had a good balance of Aussie and NZ wines, plus good-value French bottles (and some push-the-boat-out ones, not for us, though). They also had a few wines by the glass.

Service was very friendly, the head waiter knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

We also liked the decor of the place: A fine balance between international restaurant and local flair. Even the odd, inevitable, gecko on the wall went well with the place...

Definitely a place we'd return to on our next trip to Laos.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

What an amazing place to eat! Definitely worth the visit. An extensive menu obviously designed by a chef, not a cook, with an Italian/Greek/mediterranean influence. You are given complimentary bread with a very tasty eggplant dip on the side. I ordered the delicious eggplant rolls for an entree which I shared with my boyfriend. It was beautifully presented and extremely tasty. For a main, I ordered the linguine with prawns and chorizo. You are given a decent amount of prawns that are gutted! The chorizo is diced into small pieces, perfectly balanced so not to over power the meal. The pasta is cooked al dente and there is no thick and heavy sauce. I was also given grated Parmesan cheese! I enjoyed an Italian Pinot grigio, devine! Best wine I've had in Asia! My boyfriend ordered a tasty cous cous dish, served with chicken drumsticks and a sausage, served with chili sauce. As a side there are stewed vegetables and a very tasty broth with carrots. The service is perfection! Attentive... Filling up my water glass, giving me more bread, wiping my table..without being annoying, definitely fine dining service! Overall Arisai is my absolute favorite place to eat dinner in Asia. The total cost, for one entree, two mains, two beers and two glasses of wine was $USD46, definitely excellent value for money. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Went to Arisai as it was reccommended by a friend. Arisai did not let us down. Excellent food, very fresh and great wines to complement the meal. Met the owner, this great Lao French guy who was full of passion and very witty too. Great service from well trained staff who were happy to call out the chef when we had a special request.... Its great when chefs come out of their den personally to meet customers. Kudos Arisai, will send all my friends over to you guys....