“Weird”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I was greeted by slouching servers who were more interested in talking to each other and looking at their mobile phones than receiving guests. Service was fast enough, but the vegetarian lasagna I ordered was filled with potatoes and carrots.-.-? Kind of tasted like an under-cooked hashbrown. No recognizable cheese except what was an inpenatrable brown shell on the top. They brought out weird plastic, flickering, fake Chinese "candles" to put on the tables. Just a weird, less-than-pleasant experience all around. Maybe my expectations were too high...

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Arisai is a great little restaurant in the heart of old Luang Prabang. It could just as well be in Aix-en-Provence. The menu featured local ingredients with a French twist and some typical Provençal dishes. Our food looked and tasted great. The wine list had a good balance of Aussie and NZ wines, plus good-value French bottles (and some push-the-boat-out ones, not for us, though). They also had a few wines by the glass.

Service was very friendly, the head waiter knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

We also liked the decor of the place: A fine balance between international restaurant and local flair. Even the odd, inevitable, gecko on the wall went well with the place...

Definitely a place we'd return to on our next trip to Laos.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

What an amazing place to eat! Definitely worth the visit. An extensive menu obviously designed by a chef, not a cook, with an Italian/Greek/mediterranean influence. You are given complimentary bread with a very tasty eggplant dip on the side. I ordered the delicious eggplant rolls for an entree which I shared with my boyfriend. It was beautifully presented and extremely tasty. For a main, I ordered the linguine with prawns and chorizo. You are given a decent amount of prawns that are gutted! The chorizo is diced into small pieces, perfectly balanced so not to over power the meal. The pasta is cooked al dente and there is no thick and heavy sauce. I was also given grated Parmesan cheese! I enjoyed an Italian Pinot grigio, devine! Best wine I've had in Asia! My boyfriend ordered a tasty cous cous dish, served with chicken drumsticks and a sausage, served with chili sauce. As a side there are stewed vegetables and a very tasty broth with carrots. The service is perfection! Attentive... Filling up my water glass, giving me more bread, wiping my table..without being annoying, definitely fine dining service! Overall Arisai is my absolute favorite place to eat dinner in Asia. The total cost, for one entree, two mains, two beers and two glasses of wine was $USD46, definitely excellent value for money. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Went to Arisai as it was reccommended by a friend. Arisai did not let us down. Excellent food, very fresh and great wines to complement the meal. Met the owner, this great Lao French guy who was full of passion and very witty too. Great service from well trained staff who were happy to call out the chef when we had a special request.... Its great when chefs come out of their den personally to meet customers. Kudos Arisai, will send all my friends over to you guys....

Reviewed 2 March 2011

For Christmas, I decided to go on a limb and buy my wife and I a trip of South East Asia after New Year's. Upon the recommendation of a co-worker, Luang Prabang - and the Arisai - was made one of our destinations. We went to the Arisai a couple of days after New Years. The weather was chilly but beautiful (being from sunny California, I don't mind being cold, especially around New Years), and the Arisai was our first dinner in Luang Prabang - what a way to introduce Luang Prabang to us! Now, be forewarned, the Arisai is NOT the place you want to go if you want to sample local cuisine, as it's a European sort of place, but that being said, it's worth going if you want a great meal for a great value.

The atmosphere around the place is beautiful, the lighting perfect - my wife and I had an amazing time. The service was great although our waiter's English wasn't perfect, and he had a bit of trouble understanding our drinks orders, but in typical Lao style, his sincere and smiling apology made it perfectly alright. My wife had a pasta dish and I went with a coucous, this sort of Moroccan dish. My wife and I sampled each other's food, and while I loved the pasta dish she had, I still preffered my couscous - and so did she! In fact she went as far as to eating most of my food! Married life!

The rest of our days there were spent sampling more of the local cuisine, but we returned to the Arisai for our final night in Luang Prabang, and we were greeted with a smile again, and had the same waiter from our first night - and he got our drinks right!

If you want Lao cuisine, there are other places you can go, but if you want something great and foreign, then go nowhere else but the Arisai.

I'll recommend this place to anyone that goes to Luang Prabang.