All reviewsarena hotelblack sea coastcolonial clubcolonial restaurantprivate beachbeach barfitness centerthe entire resortindoor poolwill return for surefine sandnice balconyenjoyed my stayimperiaspaprivacyromania
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

The furniture in the room was second hand , I found hair in the hairdryer.The cleaning lady was nice,but one of her superiors wasn't polite. A couch in the hallway was dirty.After I used the pool I had a health problem caused either by the poolwater or the cleaning substances in that water. Frontdesk employees and a superior had fake smiles on their faces.There were no lights in front of the hotel so in the evening it was really dark and the road from the hotel to the nearest shop was awful.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Amelia O
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Besides the prices, this is not a five star hotel. The place is nice and clean, but there is much room to improve. The rooms are clean and spacious, yet decorated with cheap furniture painted to look high quality. The bed squeaks from any position, the mattress and pillows were not comfortable. The room had a very nice balcony pointed at the sea and considering the shape of the hotel I imagine all the rooms have a balcony towards the sea. There is no complementary tea or coffee in the rooms, nor any other treats you would expect from a five star hotel. The bathroom is also clean but the shower cabinet is rather small and uncomfortable. The food served for breakfast is of the lowest quality and also the courses we had for the other meals were not great. The staff attitude was also a big minus. We were with a big group and they did not want to serve us until we came all of us at the restaurant even if we announced that some of us will be a bit late. The bar that we were informed that is non stop closed at 23 pm letting us having to go outside the hotel in order to get back to our rooms. The hotel receptionist asked for a high amount of money for a pool towel that was lost in the hotel and was very rude. Overall an unpleasant experience.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank CarmenB400
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Good services, clean, get everything you want for relaxing, staff treats you with respect, the beach is up to 100m away and safe, a bit noisy especially on the hot summer days ( some days temp. go up to 45*C ) because of the AC system.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed with my husband for 4 nights in this expensive five stars hotel. Interesting architecture, big rooms, beautiful wooden floors and doors, good food, pleasant courtyard, very clean inside, as well as outside in the green areas, nice infinite pool and large (almost) private beach with fine sand and long entrance into the sea. Missing? 1. The bathroom, even if big, had (strangely) such a small shower that it was very difficult to move inside, and almost impossible to pick up from the shower floor the soap, if you dropped it by mistake 2. The bed matrasse was far from the five stars quality 3. It was not possible to make in the room coffee/tea 4. When checking out, the receptionist asked us not to leave till they go and control the room!?! Obvious need to invest more not only in the bathroom, bed matrasse and electric kettles, but also in the staff training.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana V
Reviewed 19 August 2017

First and foremost;

Do not let the title fool you, the hotel is wonderful overall. We have stayed 4 times this year and 3 times the year before. Choosing to use both hotel - Arena Regia (The 5 star luxury hotel) and Arcadia (It's 4 star sister hotel on the same spacious complex) for short breaks whilst working in Bucharest.

Overall the hotels are very nice; They are aesthetically pleasing and very well managed.

Spacious Rooms

Incredibly clean (Which must take many man hours to keep clean as the complex is spacious)

Quality Toiletries

Comfortable beds

Fantastic utilities

Friendly staff

I am starting to sound like an advert.........

There are a couple of staff who have made each stay extremely comfortable, working a little harder than the rest to ensure their guests stays are enjoyable from start to finish.

Simona Simion works in the reservations department.
She quite literally does her best to accommodate guests requests, looking after repeat clients and ensuring the booking process goes smoothly.

The front of house manager - whose name I embarrassingly cannot recall - is a welcome sight upon arrival. He is a learned gentlemen,. well travelled himself and a delight to speak with. Working closely with his team, he makes the arrival and check in process as enjoyable as the stay itself.

And then there is Florentina.

Working in the main restaurant Florentia takes her job extremely seriously.
So much so that I am entirely too embarrassed to confess I seldom have cash in my pocket to tip her. During the peak season the hotel offers guests a Full Board service, with beer included during meal times. As a consequence we head to meals without wallets / purses in our pockets.
Despite the lack of tips, Florentina works hard, diligently and professionally ALL of the time. The meals are in the form of a high quality buffet service and the beers are available through a self service tap. However, without even being asked Florentina frequently pours and delivers beers, clears plates, provides cutlery and ensure guests are comfortable.

Having embarrassed myself confessing to the lack of tips I will be mindful to offer one on our next stay.

The rest of the staff are all well mannered, presentable and pleasant people to deal with. No one stood out as less than professional, all do their job well.
The bar staff in the lobby bar - again names elude me - will make you laugh until the small hours if you fancy a beer or two.

And now to the title and the only real complaint;

The private beach area is adorned with very comfortable high quality sun beds, coupled with quality umbrella's, a fantastic beach bar and great staff.
A security team keeps an eye on the guests belongings patrolling the beach constantly although they do try to keep a low profile. Life guards watch the water making the whole experience one of comfort, relaxation and care free sunbathing.

EXCEPT;

What's with the tiny limited beach towels?

I mean honestly, this is a 5 star hotel and they hand out at reception two small towels to guests issuing a warning - sometimes sternly - that this towels (Barely big enough to cover my legs) MUST be returned at the end of your staff otherwise you will be flogged... erm I mean charged.

And heaven forbid you go back to reception and ask for another two towels.
Should you decide to do that please go prepared.
A 15th Century Knights shield coupled with modern day pilots ear plugs should protect you from the barrage of questions you need to answer before they deam you worthy of another 2 tiny towels.

Towels at 5 star beach hotels are meant to be;

Clean (They are all clean so they get a pass)

Big enough for purpose (They cover about a third of the sunbed, so giant FAIL there)

Available (Without being asked everything from your inside leg measurement to your mum's maiden name before they decide if you are worthy of another towel to cover another tiny section of the sun bed)

and NOT offered with a stern warning you will be lined up in front of a firing squad and shot at dawn if they are not returned.

---------
The worst part is you could be fooled in to believing my humour above was a gross exaggeration of the pressure one goes through to obtain two more towels.

But the pressure is very real.

The staff do everything right, but this is clearly an issue.

I want to stay at a hotel where there is no stress at all. I would be happy to pay a deposit for the towels just to get them to shut up and not ask me why I need two more 30 cm towels (Ok, they are a little longer than that).

The hotel charges you in full either before arrival or on check in.
I am perfectly comfortable with that.
why not take a small deposit, making it clean to guests that the 4 beach towels they will almost certainly need have to be return in order to collect the deposit. any risk of theft or loss is eliminated as the cost of the towel would be covered.

Or better still buy bigger towels and then you only need to offer 2 that fully cover the sun beds.

5 star should count for something and this is literally the only thing that has let them down so far.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. We have stayed on different floors in different rooms. There really is no need to be concerned about room location.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple