See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 September 2015

Review Hotel Journalist, 07.08.2015 - 09.09.2015

Well, I have just arrived home after having had my best hotel experience ever.

Why?

I have stayed at several hotels through the years, also in Golden Sands. Earlier, I have stayed at 4-star hotels, but have often had the feeling of there were something missing.

I am not a person that need "luxury" in order to have a holiday feeling. What I need is to feel relaxed in a friendly environment - a place where the basic needs are taken care of - not more, really.

Since my journey was a combination of holiday and working journey (I work with music), I was looking for a hotel that could provide a good location, quietness in the nights (and also not too noisy on the daytime), nature sounds (waves, wind rustling in the trees etc.) and the feeling of being part of a modest and friendly atmosphere.

For more than 4 weeks I had the great pleasure of being guest at Hotel Journalist. I stayed in the lower building close to the reception, so this review is based on this building (in addition, there is a second, tall building close by, also belonging to the hotel).

What I was looking for, in regards to my needs for several weeks of accommodation, was a hotel that could offer the following:

- close to the sea
- quiet, almost silent surroundings
- clean room with a comfortable double bed
- a price tag I could live with for a 4-week-stay
- a sympathetic staff

What you get for staying at this hotel, is practically no noise when sitting on the balcony on the back side of the hotel. The sun was on the balcony for several hours, from ca. 9 AM in the morning. Here, you only hear the distant sounds of waves from the sea, or some birds. No busses, running engines or parties outside your window - just the sounds of nature itself. For me, this is very soothing. There are two beaches nearby: a small beach (50 meters away) and a bigger beach (ca. 150 meters away).

The first day, I was a little stressed that the centre of Golden Sands was not in walking distance, but I soon found a great solution. You can easily to take bus 109 or 409 (goes from just outside the hotel every 20 minutes) to either Varna or Golden Sands resort (ticket price is only ca. 2 Leva = ca. 1 Euro). Additionally, taxis are easily accessible. If you also wish to explore the beautiful Varna in addition to Golden Sands, the location is, in fact, perfect.

Of course, since this is a 2-star hotel, you can´t expect fancy stuff, expensive bathtubs or general luxury. It is a low-cost hotel, but it is clean, and has in my opinion a lot of soul! The food is often based on chicken, meat-rolls and different vegetables. For other alternatives, there is a fish restaurant and a pizzeria just across the street on the front side of the hotel. For me, the food was quite all right, but others might feel different. You could choose to sit inside in the dining room, but also outside in the atmospheric backyard.

The hotel staff is very friendly, making their utmost to fulfil your wishes. I could safely entrust my room to the friendly cleaning lady every day. I have to say I feel very much taken care of by the staff. Everything, from small to bigger issues, were handled very well.

A suggestion for improvement would be to change towels more often, but as mentioned, these kind of things are not what I look for when I stay for many weeks at a hotel. The real value lies in the location and the simplicity and modesty.

So, if you are like me, independent and looking for a relaxing holiday for a longer period of time, close to the sea (you actually hear it instead of traffic noise!), you get very much for your money at Hotel Journalist.

I can´t wait to come back next summer!

To the staff: thank you very much for your great hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2015

Location is not bad, free parking.
Hotel is expencive, takes time to find staff.
AC was not adjustable - only 25C and On/Off.
No soap/shampoo.
Old towels and linen is not so clean.
TV is very small, but working.
Balcony door was broken.
Breakfast... Only small pieces of cheese and bread was eatable, the rest was broken and smelled not good. No hot milk, no cornflakes. Nothing.
There is a private beach near the hotel. Clean. Food is average priced and not tasty.
Looks like last rennovation made by Brezhnev.

Room Tip: Other hotel rooms will be better.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2015

Like holidaying in a Communist time capsule.
Evidently the hotel has a history attached to it and it's still living in that history.
Very basic rooms, bathrooms, toilet facilities, bedding, towels etc
But it has a certain charm and is cheap.

Stayed: July 2015
1  Thank SofiaRodin
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I was a little apprehensive about booking this place because of the very low rates and not so good reviews, but after my arrival my perspective completely changed. It's an old Communist building that is in the process of being redone. The lobby and rooms are very clean, and all of the rooms are on the side of the sea. The grounds of the hotel are very big with a large pool that is taken care of and only a few steps from the beach. The staff is very nice and accommodating and they're trying very hard to make the hotel and your stay as nice as possible.

When you drive up, one of the buildings is a little intimidating, but this is just because nothing has been changed since the 60's. The location of the hotel is amazing, but it's a little hard to drive to it because of road closures from landslides, so if you have difficulties just call the hotel reception and they will try their best to direct you.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the sea view side
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lauren T
Reviewed 26 July 2014

You get what you pay for. If you are looking for a quiet and cheap place for a family holiday, this place is good. Food was nothing special and really cheap, but meals were different every day. Even we left tips every morning, towels haven’t been changed even once. There is a nice swimming pool within the hotel territory, but the beach close to the hotel was very dirty, stinky and stony. We went for all inclusive but we had to pay extra for the wi-fi, that was quite expensive. Overall, Post Soviet Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family