“Wonderful dinner - make sure you go! ”

Village Household Moretic
Ranked #91 of 437 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: Croatian
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Can’t speak highly enough of this place: the food is all organic and either home-grown or home-made and absolutely delicious, and the couple who run it are the nicest people in the world! Such generous, welcoming hosts; enthusiastic about what they do, and eager to explain their techniques and ingredients. The prosciutto (I’m told; I’m a vegetarian!) was the best anyone at the table had ever tasted, and we were shown a piece curing which was really interesting. We saw the olive trees just starting to grow this year’s crop and tasted some of last year’s, which were unlike any I’d had before and had a caramelised sugar aftertaste: delicious to eat whole, and the oil they produce won gold in an international competition including entries from Greece and Italy. We bought a few bottles!

There were fresh home-made cheeses, home-grown figs, and home-brewed liqueurs, too: cherry, walnut, blueberry, and a spirit with 30 different herbs in it! The main course was roast lamb, beef, and potatoes with a dressed salad (again, all perfectly prepared and home-produced), plus courgette fritters, vegetable soup, and slices of grilled aubergine for me, so vegetarians are very well catered-for, too. Dessert was a lovely, cinnamony apple strudel.

And their home-made wine was wonderful - particularly the red, again with a caramelised sugar aftertaste but certainly not over-sweet.

We spent quite a while chatting after dinner, hearing more about the brewing and curing methods. Before we left, we had a look around the apartments they had just finished building ready for guests: can’t imagine a more perfect place to stay for anyone who loves food and drink.

2  Thank Voyager592694

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We are so glad we took the advice of the family we were staying with in Zaton and booked an evening here. Having transport arranged there and back too was a real treat. We were the only ones dining that evening which could have felt awkward but were put at ease and chatted with our hosts between courses. The food is amazing, believe everything you read in the reviews. The lamb and veal were cooked to perfection but for me the best was he prosciutto which was better than any I've had in Italy and the potatoes which were out of this world. Make sure you don't eat during the day of your visit so that you can do justice to this wonderful experience. The Walnut liqueur was a winner too!

1  Thank Lexie1966
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

We had this restaurant all to ourselves. . We were staying in sun gardens but were keen to try a Peka evening. We were thrilled to have chosen this farming family who collected us and made us feel so welcome . The introduction was by inducing us to sample five home made liqueurs and to view the veg garden and the Pika oven . We were then seated on the terrace and sampled their home made bread and delicious oil from their own groves after having eaten ripe figs and then the most unworldly air dried ham accompanied by most acceptable rustic wine . The Pika then arrived which was lamb and potatoes infused with the roasting juice which was delicious. More wine and a strudel followed . The family came and went discretely but had conversation in between which was nice . Food and wine were unlimited and the cost including pickup return was 850 kn which for the experience we had was brilliant.

I am a retired butcher, cheese and charcuterie supplier to top London Chefs and I must say that the Olive oil and the prosciutto or ham were really superb .

The food , secluded location and friendly family made our final night perfect.

1  Thank gibcrack
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

This is a unique experience that is absolutely worth every penny. Antonio and Anna are wonderful hosts, they collected us from Zaton and dropped us home afterwards.

Everything they served was grown on the farm, was 100% organic, fresh and incredibly tasty.

We started with fresh cheese made that morning, olive oil cheese, gold medal winning olive oil - the best we've ever tasted - and the most amazing prosciutto on the planet. If we had left after the (huge) starter we'd have been delighted.

Then the main course of lamb, veal, salad and the best potatoes we've ever had. As an Irish family that is saying something!! You can eat as much as you want and seconds, thirds and fourths arrived!

We felt we could eat no more, until the homemade apple, walnut and cinnamon strudel arrived. Certainly the best we've had in Croatia.

Finally home grown melon and watermelon to cleanse the palette.

The food was superb, but actually it was the people that made it extra special. Antonio is so passionate about what he does, everything is grown and made with love and it shows in every mouthful. Anna is so welcoming and friendly and it makes the whole night extra enjoyable.

We left with bottles of olive oil, prosciutto and melon for breakfast.

A special night, off the tourist track in a family home. A one off - go see for yourself!

1  Thank Alan W
Reviewed 20 July 2017

After a long night of travelling we had accidentally booked at the apartment moretič, not realising it is a little way out of old town. After arriving in the beautiful village we were greeted by our fantastic hosts who showed us around the most beautiful apartment in all of Dubrovnik. The apartment was clean and modern with everything we needed. On our second night we had dinner in the moretič restaurant, this was one of the best experiences of my life! The best Croatian food I had during my whole stay and all food was produced from their own gardens located behind the house a few steps away from our table. We enjoyed muscles, bread, salads and beautiful meat. . The wine was unlimited and of coarse homemade, The best wine in all of Europe. I am so greatful I got to spend the night eating and drinking with my own friends and the moretič family, it is truly one of my most memorable experiences in life and I can't wait to come back next summer to enjoy and even longer stay with my new Croatian family! I would recommend the moretič household to anyone traveling through Dubrovnik. 100/10