“AWESOME AGUA!!!”

and up
Vol­can de Agua and El Hato Tour from Antigua
Ranked #21 of 94 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

There is a great view of Volcan de Agua from Arco de Santa Catalina early in the morning. You actually can take great photos with the arch framing the Volcano. It's a popular painting to buy in Antigua if you want. The views of Volcan de Agua from the top of hotel de Don Ismael are not bad at all. It is an imposing Volcano over the skyline of the city. My friends warned me not to climb it due to bandidos robbing tourists. I heeded their warnings. Instead climbed Volcan Acatenango with great views of Volcan Fuego blowing in the day and at night.
Thanks for reading. If you felt the information useful, it would be appreciated if you tapped the thumbs up below. Thanks

2  Thank Tigerman777
"path"
"hike"
"crater"

Reviewed 2 May 2017

This trip, I didn't have time to do any climbing. I have three volcanoes on three different continents.
Sometimes she was shy, but we saw her most days standing over us indifferent to what we were doing.

Reviewed 24 February 2017

On clear days, get the best views from the tops of buildings. Volcano is impressive, and spookily close to the town.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

Yesterday, January 26, 2017 I hiked to the top of Vulcan de Agua and back. My trip started from Guatemala City. I left at 5:20 in the morning. I reached Santa Maria De Jesus together with daybreak. I think there is no special parking or tourist center, no registration book or even information board. I parked my car in the end of street called Vulcan de Agua next to the church (see map snapshot) and started walking at 6:45. Trip to the top took 4 hours. I stopped once at altitude mark 3264 to take my 15 minutes breakfast brake. It took to reach this point 2 hours and 20 minutes. From that point walking gets slower. I was feeling shortage of oxygen and had to walk in sort steps or take 15 seconds beak in every 30 meters to get my breath back. I was caring top layer clothes in my back pack in case it gets cold on top. But it was not necessary sorts and sweater was enough. It is windy on top but temperature was friendly. Walking surface is dry and not to challenging but there is plenty of rocks. I needed to use my hands only on the very top of the volcano walking around the cone. Road is marked pretty clear. There are plenty of shortcuts made by locals who works in farms around, but it is easy to distinguish the main path. On the way back I has some problems with two dogs that were left to guard a horse and some stuff. I had no alternative way, so situation was not very pleasant. Luckily neither I, nor dogs got hurt. But to have a dog spray would be a good idea. I get down in 2 hours and 40 minutes. In total it was a god trip. For the same day up and down it was a bit challenging, but I was lucky to see some eruptions from neighboring Vulcan de Fuego. You can see a little smoke in the picture. It was more but cached only this.