“The perfect place to be for New Years Eve” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo

Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
Newark, New Jersey
“The perfect place to be for New Years Eve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was lucky enough to spend New Years Eve in Antigua and staying at Posada Don Rodrigo made it even more special.
The location of this hotel is perfect. Most of the activities were right on this street or at the park and it was very convenient for enjoying the evening.
Watching the fireworks from the terrace at midnight with the marimba music playing in the background is something I won't soon forget.
The hotel was a bit loud that night but I had expected that since I knew we would be hearing lots of fireworks.
Antonia from reception was such a help with all of my e-mails and questions.
The hotel also brought a little good luck owl on New Years Eve day which was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a window room facing the street if you are there to watch processions or to experience NYE.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ttravelerbug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here for 1 night. Excellent location right on the main (pedestrian only) street in Antigua. Walk out and look down the street and you see the classic "arch and volcano" view that Antigua is known for. Walk to everyplace EASILY. There is a rooftop dining/drinking area where I enjoyed a wonderful cappucino with a lovely view over the rooftops and to the volcano. Gorgeous interior courtyards. Bar area in the evenings inside. Very nice restaurant with tasty food (exact same menu as the same name/same ownership Posada de Don Rodrigo hotel located at Lake Atitlan). For breakfast you choose off the menu, and most things are at no charge but some are clearly marked as being available but at a small additional charge. At lunch you can get a few sandwiches also, though they aren't on the menu all you need to do is ask. Rooms are ALL DIFFERENT as it is a series of old haciendas combined together. Really, you could not find someplace more atmospheric than here. You FEEL like you are in Guatemala. We had a very large room for 3 ladies, each had our own double bed and the room was HUGE. Very quiet at night. Large bathroom also with excellent water pressure and plenty of hot water.
They have 2 computers hooked up to the internet. I think that they actually cost money to use, though I used them several times and maybe someone just hadn't logged out of their paid session because I didn't pay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Eugene, Or
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay (fortunately, someone else was paying for my stay). If I were paying for this place, I would imagine I would feel even less enthused about this review. The location cannot be beat! The hotel's interior has a lot of history, as do the rooms (which are not very comfortable). Also, the hotel feels too kitschy.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gkrupa30
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Walked into this hotel with it's elaborate entrance into a very large garden courtyard. Inquired as to how much and viewed a room for 4. It was a great location, good breakfast, and beautiful grounds. Room overlooked the street but the heavy glass with wooden doors sealed the outside noise and light. Hot water always and excellent maid service. The staff at the hotel said 'Buenos' everytime we walked by them. They were very friendly and hotel very safe!

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Clovis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Posada de Don Rodrigo is one of the the most ideally situated hotels in Antigua, Guatemala. I first visited this hotel in 1989 and recall being overwhelmed with it's luxury. I was 9 years old. Now as an adult, I continue to be impressed with this hotel with it's colonial charm and superb service. I have stayed at this hotel twice, once traveling alone (2003) and the other with my partner (2006). The hotel has everything you need, a beautiful courtyard and a wonderful authentic restaurant. The treat is the homemade tortillas that you can see being made in their traditional comal and the marimba that plays in the courtyard every Sunday.

The terrace is gorgeous and provides stunning views of the surrounding volcanoes.

Even though you do not pay the high prices of other hotels in the area, the service you receive is fantastic.

I have to share this story.

In 2006 as we walked through the cobblestone streets of Antigua, I fell and hurt my ankle. I was unable to walk on it and was several blocks away from our hotel. We were able to wave down a tuk tuk and get back to the hotel. Upon our arrival the door men quickly came to my aid and helped me hop into the hotel. When the receptionist saw that I was hurt, they quickly provided us with keys to a new room on the first floor (our room was in the second floor) and called a doctor for us. They were so compassionate and helpful, they made a very unpleasant situation very comfortable for us.

If you do not decide to stay at this hotel, I highly encourage you to take the time and visit the grounds and perhaps, enjoy a drink on the terrace You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple