1,718 results
All reviews santo domingo chocolate factory hotel museum beautiful hotel star hotel grounds are amazing hotel guests small balcony breakfast buffet standard room magical place central america guatemala city an oasis visiting antigua monastery candles
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Brilliant return to Antigua after 15 years! I remembered the hotel as a small property with 10-15 rooms and a nice restaurant. What a surprise! The property had been developed and the number of rooms ha increased to 129 rooms. We reserved two rooms, a junior suite and a standard room. The problem with the junior suite was the lack of a fan or air conditioning. If you are visiting Antigua in the rainy season, the weather is much warmer and the rooms are very stuffy. We were fortunate to be able to upgrade, at a significant discount, to the Princess Suite with A/C. The room was spectacular! The view of the volcanos from the room was worth every cent. Do rent this suite if you want an unforgettable stay.
The property also offers event facilities which are built into the ruins of the monastery. Since there are lots of weddings at the hotel, your stay will be much more tranquil if you visit during the week. And there is so much to do with the museums, spa and restaurant at the hotel. The best thing about the restaurant is the breakfast buffet, with fresh pupusas and two omelette stations. I would recommend trying the many excellent restaurants in Antigua for lunch and dinner.
If you drive to Antigua, you should park in the parking lot one block from the hotel and then take the underground tunnel to the front desk. The road in front of the hotel is very narrow and not convenient for loading and unloading. However, the front door will serve as your main entrance to and from the hotel when exploring the city. The door is locked at 10pm so ring the bell to enter. I did feel very safe during my stay and appreciated the presence of security around the hotel.
Casa Santo Domingo is unique in Central America. The architecture, combined with the expositions of art and antiques, offer a cultural experience for first time visitors as well as local residents. I look forward to returning to Antigua for another pleasant stay at Casa Santo Domingo.

Room Tip: Check for A/C availability.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We took our family on December and it was the best hotel to stay at. Rooms were classy and comfortable. In the heart of Antigua next to the ruins of a monastery, beautiful scenery and volcanoes in view . The hotel is spacious and have many sitting areas. The kids ran free and we felt safe all the time. Service was great. The food was so delicious we didn't have to leave the hotel to eat breakfast or dinner. Walked right out to embrace the colonial city, plazas, all the shopping stores and mercados. It is only 1hr 1/2min. of the Pacific ocean waters where we went deep sea fishing. It was an amazing experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Casa Santo Domingo has the best service, food, and ambiance in Central America. The historic setting is very unique and peaceful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Fantastic Hotel. Probably the best I have been in Central America. Being there you feel like in a museum. Since its an old dominican convent, walking down the corridors you can enjoy many works of art.

The service is excellent, as the rooms and the food

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2011

If you ever happen to have a change to visit Antigua, you MUST stay here! I was a monastery back in the 1500's and it is now a historic ruins, museum & hotel. It is honestly breathtaking!!! My husband and I have traveled quite a lot, and this place took us by surprise. It was recommended by a friend, and we didnt even went into their website (which it does NOT do any justice to the propety). By far this hotel is made my heart skip a bit at night! When the entire hotel gets lit by candles, everywhere!!!

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were treated by amazing corteous staff, until the moment we had to depart. As soon as I walked in, all I could say was 'WOWWWW!' The gardens surrounding the ruins are honestly something to experience. We stayed in suite 264 and it had a living room, dining room, bedroom with a large jacuzzi bath, and 2 fireplaces. There were even logs for us to light ourselves, which we did, and slept with it thru the night and it was very romantic.

We ate dinner in the restaurant one night and the food was delicious too. The hotel offers a free tour of the riuns, and the Museums, I really suggest to take it. Then you can really appreciatte all the charm of where you are staying. They have a candle factory on site & Chocolate factory as well.

During our stay there was a wedding, and we made it a point to come back at night to take a peek. WOWWWWWW again, goosebumps... with so many candles throughout the entire hotel property. The music plays well into the early morning, which I only found out cause I steped out of our room looking for ice, but this did not bother me, nor my husband, who was already sleeping. I guess we were far enough to hear the noise, but it might be a good thing to ask when booking, or upon arrival, if your room is going to be close to the Grand Ballroom, because they have a few weddings every weekend.
This hotel was absolutely stunning and I would highly recommend it to ANYONE in Antigua. Dont know why its not #1 in TA.

Room Tip: Not close to the street, and NOT close to the Grand Ballroom (if you must pick one, pick closer to the street.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple