“Really nice but...”

Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
Seattle
“Really nice but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

The manager and staff were all very nice people, super attentive, and willing to listen to me practice my Spanish on them.

I stayed in the lower level apartment for two weeks because I was studying Spanish in Antigua but also needed workspace to do computer work to keep up with business matters back home. Unfortunately the apartment did not have adequate wireless reception except for when I sat on one corner of my bed. The manager said that there's work he needs to do this summer to take care of this problem, but I wish I had made my specific needs clearer when I booked the space because it truly did not meet my expectations. That said, because I was there after the busy Holy Week, I pretty much had the whole house to myself and so I could work in the living room near the reception area, where there was a perfect wireless signal.

Great bed, wonderful sheets, quick laundry service, beautifully decorated throughout. My apt had a nice kitchen area. Coffee and coffee pot in my kitchen, so I could have a pot of iced coffee in my own fridge available as needed. The soap & shampoo were wonderful, but I was not consistently provided with replacement soap when the room was cleaned, so there were a few days where I was using left over tiny slivers.

I liked being a few blocks from the main square. It made me get out and about and there are some great stores, restaurants and bakeries between the hotel and the main square.

The night staff kindly made sure I was up and ready to go for two very early morning departures (a bus trip to Copán and to the airport). I appreciated that extra attention.

The management's travel agency has a nice selection of tours and shuttles. I've done most of them. All very professionally-run with no problems.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Spanish_student57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We had a lovely stay at Casa Concepcion in Antigua. Lovely room with balcony, amazing bathroom, great breakfasts & really helpful, friendly staff

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lucy_witham
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

We spent one night at Casa Concepcion at the outset of our trip and returned for another two nights a week later. We stayed in the courtyard room which consisted of bedroom, bathroom with separate sitting area with small kitchenette - with views of a patio area where breakfast was served.
Pros - helpful staff; pleasant breakfast on our second stay with sandwich, trail bar and a soda provided after our first stay when we left before breakast service began.
Cons - if there is someone in the room above (which wasn't the case on one night of our stay) the sound of water running from shower and toilet is very audible in the bedroom and might be enough to wake a light sleeper.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phebert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Casa Concepcion. Julio is super helpful and speaks English fluently, which is a major plus. He had great recommendations for restaurants and made reservations for us. We stayed in Suite #1, which is clean and quiet and has a great view from the windows. The bathroom is big, with a Jacuzzi tub! The breakfast is fresh and delicious. The location is a bit out of the way from the 'center', but Antigua is so small that its only a 6 min walk. Being a bit out of the way meant it was quiet and peaceful!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharona9
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed with another couple in this very charming clean and comfortable bed and breakfast. I can not express how happy we were to have had this recommended to us for our 4 day stay in Antigua. The breakfast was excellent, the staff outstanding speaking perfect English. I would certainly stay here again if I were to return to Antigua.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple