“Ask for the Chinese menu”
Review of Hanto Fine Cuisine

Hanto Fine Cuisine
Ranked #26 of 49 Restaurants in Ashland
Reviewed 17 September 2018

The Northborough location of Hanto still does not have a separate TripAdvisor listing, but now, long after their opening, the food is still great. This time we ordered off the Chinese menu. Much less fancy than their official menu, we had great food. The Sichuan beef was so tender it melted in my mouth. Hubby loved the Scallion/ginger/pork in Sweet and Sour sauce. Neither was the type of dish to be found in a "suburban Chinese" menu, and neither were on the other menu! Both entree were great. Good service, although a loud party filled the entire restaurant with their noise-sometimes Americans can be too too loud.....

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We have eaten dinner here twice with groups of 4 and 6. The food was all delicious and served fresh, hot, and served very quickly. Last visit we ordered Peking raviolis, both chicken and beef on a stick, maki rolls, pork egg foo young, and Gen. Tso chicken. Everything was yummy! Best Gen. chicken I’ve ever had! It was deliciously moist on the inside and crispy on the outside! We also had a variety of drinks between us that were all good. Service was great both trips! Will definitely return again! Do wish they would fix their water wall decorations that are broken though. That would add to the place.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We ordered food for a party awhile ago and everyone raved. Recently we ordered take out again and it was certainly not up to par. They forgot the dry noodles for our chow mein. We would definitely have to think about it before ordering again.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

OK....took family to Hanto in the newly built-out Mall section of Northborough Commons, where they've recently put up a lot of restaurants. We had the best non-Dim Sum Chinese food there since we moved to the area about 5 1/2 years ago. Outside of Chinatown, I don't think you can get a better gourmet Chinese meal for the price! Here's why....
1) You can tell this is real authentic Chinese cuisine prepared by a real Chinese Chef. For example, it was clear that the dumplings (gyoza) were made by hand with the dumpling skins made from scratch, prepared upon order. We could certainly taste the difference.
2) Every meal (we ordered 4 in addition to the dumpling appetizer) was absolutely wonderful. We ordered the salt and pepper shrimp, beef chow fun, fish with egglant and a lamb with onions dish. They were all spectacular. Note, we asked for the "Chinese" menu (it has English sub-captions). These are the meals where you get to see the chef's signature creations. I'm telling you that salt and pepper shrimp was perfectly battered (kind of like a salty version of shrimp tempura) and the shrimp were so huge they looked like lobster tails! The beef in the beef chow fun was perfectly marinated and the wide (chow fun) noodles were cooked precisely the way they should be (not too dry, not to soggy, just right) with exactly the right amount of sauce to our taste. The fish/eggplant dish is a Guangzhou specialty (often eaten during the winter months) and we absolutely loved it! My wife said it reminded her of home. That said, we were debating which dish is the best and my wife like the lamb/onions and I was kind of leaning towards the salt and pepper shrimp (they have a calamari equivalent too that I'd like to try next time) but it really was close to a 4-way tie.

Seriously...try this place. It is as good as I've had in a long time! A little piece of China in Northborough! One caveat though. I think they need more staff as they looked a little stressed out with few waiters and chefs trying to accommodate the customers. We got everything in a very reasonable amount of time but they seemed stressed and tired. I'd love to see this place make it as this will be our go-to restaurant for Chinese food!!! You can tell this food was prepared and served by professionals! Also, high-end decor but reasonably priced for this level of quality.

1  Thank John D
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Dear Hanto,

You used to be real good but our last visit has occurred and from the looks of the place where we were the sole guests on a Saturday evening at 6pm...we aren't the only ones who have come to this determination.

The last straw was chicken teriyaki served in a cold sizzling plate (didn't even sizzle or pop once). It had a texture like a rubber ball... like it was par cooked 4 days ago and reheated upon our order. It wasn't even close to edible... the girlfriend spit out the first bite. It was grey inside. Old. Gross.

We called the server and explained and she instantly wanted to bring a new one...like she has heard of this issue before. The next one was better, fresh, white, flaky, sizzly. But to knowingly serve something they half assed and to charge $14 for it-bad. Like we wouldn't have caught them serving us crap

Just shut it down already, looks like everyone else has already jumped ship.

Justin K.

P.S. I had high hopes for my fortune cookie, but it was fortuneless.