“We were in a suite...it was a good size, but not new.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Annapolis
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Annapolis
Annapolis, MD
“We were in a suite...it was a good size, but not new.”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here December 3, 2011 and it was a great night, for what we were there for. The suite we were in had a hot plate, a sink, some cabinets, a four seater table. The bathroom was enormous, with one regular door leading out to the "living area" and a pocket door leading to the King Sized bedroom. Both televisions had a DVD player, which was nice since we were having a sleepover for my daughter's birthday.

This hotel is starting to show some wear, honestly. There were dings in the wall, and it was evident that the kitchen area was going to get a new lighting fixture or tiles, since there were pencil marks above the sink (backsplash area). The hot-plate had a non-working burner, as well. The room was clean, functional, and spacious. The pull-out couch in the living room is a double, I believe. There were adequate blankets/pillows.

We did use the pool for this sleepover, and took advantage of the hot breakfast which was included. Several other diners were there...one gentleman in particular gave me the hairy eyeball and was a little rude - but we did have a lot of kids so maybe he didn't have his coffee or something. Who knows? I made sure to make a comment to my friend (so he could overhear) that everyone's money spends the same... This is not a Hyatt. It's a Country Inn and Suites. Considering the cost, you get what you pay for. You want a no-kids, quiet sit down breakfast, go to a restaurant, buddy. Not a "family" hotel.

Back to the hotel - I would say that the hotel itself is average...not "very good". What bumps this hotel up in my opinion is the service. Since I had logistical issues to work out for the birthday - I made several visits to look at the suite, the room, set up, etc. (We had 8 girls at the sleepover.) I was always treated with courtesy and professionalism, and feel that with the amount of travel that I do, this kind of preferential treatment will make the difference whether I return to a hotel EVERY time. A really nice place that has a cold and unwelcoming atmosphere is not a place I will return to. An "average" place that treats me as a valued customer, on the other hand, will become one of my favorite places to go!

Enough was said about the location in some of the other reviews. I think some of the folks that were "grossed out" might be exaggerating since I found nothing disgusting about this place. Quite the opposite, in fact. I took my children (and others) to this hotel and found nothing wrong with it. In fact, they were more tolerant than some other hotels we've been to and we're international travellers...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
cisannapolisgm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Annapolis, responded to this review, 17 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We love being a family hotel and I am so glad that you felt welcomed and comfortable with us. I have shared your comments regarding the room condition with my maintenance team to make sure that everything gets repaired or replaced. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Metairie, LA
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We have always liked the Country Inn and Suites and the two room suite here was very nice. The hotel is in the suburbs, but the staff is very helpful with maps and directions to downtown. It is about a fifteen minute drive. The breakfast was fine and all parts of the hotel were clean and well maintained. I always appreciate the fact that they have guest laundry facility.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
cisannapolisgm, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Annapolis, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
midwest
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed here October 14-16, 2011 to attend a family wedding in Annapolis. The hotel is in the suburbs, but they offer a daily evening shuttle into downtown Annapolis which is a nice touch. The suite we booked was small, but roomy enough for a weekend trip. The breakfast room was ample in size, and the choices were OK for a free feature. Overall, if we ever get back to this area, we'd stay here again because it was convenient and well-priced.

Room Tip: Book online for their best price and request a 3rd or 4th floor room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Penobscot, Maine
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Although not the worst hotel you could find, this hotel was certainly not worth the money we paid for our suite. The good parts included the tea, coffee, and cookies in the lobby, and the breafkast which was actually quite good. The breakfast room was very clean, I have to admit.
Now the bad: our room was not as clean as it should have been. It definitely smelled of mold. The room itself was in rough shape, too. In fact, the entire hallway where our room was smelled of mold. Also, the swimming pool was MURKY. We walked in to check it out at one point before bringing our 2 year old son down. Good thing we did because there was definitely something wrong with it, and there were a couple of women with a small child, apparently giving a swimming lesson. Whatever they were doing, they looked at us as if we were interrupting them. We were not impressed.
We would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We booked at this hotel to see the sailboat show. It is a comfortable, clean hotel and although a little far from the downtown it offers a free shuttle service to the show. Prices during the boat show (also Navy football game) are sky high in Annapolis, but this hotel offered a reasonable price, comfortable beds and good service, with a great breakfast buffet included. Good shopping and restaurants in the area. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple