“You're stuck once you buy a ticket”
Review of Schooner Woodwind

Schooner Woodwind
Ranked #3 of 31 Tours in Annapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The classic, wooden 74' Schooner Woodwind sails multiple cruises daily (in season) for public and private charters. Up to 48 passengers on each of our twin schooners. Whether a couple, family, party or corporate, we can accommodate you. We also have a Boat & Breakfast available (in season) on Saturdays. Come Sail Away!
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I made the mistake of buying tickets six days in advance. 3 days before the trip, the weather report went from great to horrible. Hurricane Harvey was coming up this way and was going to dump a bunch of rain. I called them and explained that I'd be traveling with 6, 7, 83 and 85 year olds and had reservations about putting them on a boat in the pouring rain. I was bluntly told no changes allowed even due to weather. They had plenty of spaces available over the next few days. The day of the trip, I called 3 hours before departure time to get the status of the trip and was told that they just had a cruise come back and everyone had a great time sailing in the rain. Once again, no effort was made to accommodate my concerns or allow any changes. Once you buy a ticket, you either get on board for that trip or you're out of the money you spent. Yes, it was my fault for not paying close enough attention to the language on the ticket purchase page which says no changes, but this truly is a company that has no concern for its customers. According to the Weather Channel, it rained the entire time the trip was to take place. I don't regret making a responsible decision to keep my entire family out of that mess and I certainly won't regret sending this company any more money.

1  Thank stevear98
Bill M, Manager at Schooner Woodwind, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we hope that many future customers take the time to read your review as well as this response. You are absolutely correct that we do uphold our policy of sailing rain or shine unless the captain deems the conditions unsafe to sail. We are very upfront about this policy and it is the first policy listed on our "Buy Tickets" page directly to the right of the rain cloud graphic on the page. No refunds or exchanges is the next policy listed on the page. These policies are reiterated in our Contract of Carriage as well as on the receipt/itinerary that is sent via email following purchase. This is no different than when you purchase tickets for an outdoor concert or ball game.

On Saturday, 9/2/17 the Annapolis area received remnants of Harvey. It did rain most of the day, but there was never a question of safety to passengers or the boats themselves. The wind was coming from the right direction allowing the Woodwind to sail past the most photographed and painted lighthouse on the Bay, Thomas Point Light. Which we only get to about 10% of the time due to conditions. We ran 5 trips that day and received positive feedback from guests throughout the day.

We are very sorry that you chose to not make the trip and enjoy this sailing experience like so many others. We also hope that future guests will read this review/response and think about any special needs or limitations before purchasing advance tickets. While we always suggest purchasing tickets as far in advance as allowed in order to prevent the disappointment of a sold out cruise, there are circumstances where waiting for weather reports to improve before purchasing tickets is the better course of action.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to be able to welcome you aboard sometime in the future.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"severn river"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We went for my husband's birthday last Wednesday for a sailing race but due to no winds it was cancelled. However we had such a blast sailing into the sunset, it was just gorgeous. A perfect ride for a special occasion or if you are just visiting the city. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I did the boat and breakfast. When I called to make the reservation I was told exactly what to expect.
The sunset Cruise was beautiful. The crew was extremely helpful and attentive. They noticed I had an empty drink in my hand, they came by to throw it out, so I could enjoy the trip without having to throw it out myself. There was no pressure to purchase more drinks.
They pointed out all of the sites
Captain Jen was great. Breakfast was fantastic.
Sleeping on a sailing ship is not for everyone, but if you ever wish to do it, I would highly recommend the Schooner Woodwind.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

We had not been on the Woodwind in years, but bought tickets for a two-hour afternoon cruise on a glorious late August Saturday afternoon and we were not disappointed.

Brilliant sunshine and a brisk wind allowed us to sail most of the way across the Bay and back, to get up close and personal with all kinds of boats and ships on the Bay, to have a hand at hoisting sails and steering the boat and to interact with Jen, the very lively and personable owner.

Soft drinks (one included) as well as beer and wine are served on board, as are snacks. There are bathrooms ("heads") but you would be well advised to start the journey with your bladder on empty. Jen's autobiographical story of coming into the boat ownership and sail-for-hire business is most interesting and she tells it comically yet humbly. (Recommend you sit near the wheel to hear it).

Even though we are fairly local to Annapolis and have good knowledge of attractions, the Woodwind is something we would do again and again.