“awful service”

Ranked #6 of 105 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: USD 15 - USD 25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-five years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed 1 November 2017

The craft beer is excellent. The service was awful. We waited long time to get served after being seated, long time to get drinks. Do not order Fish & Chips, 3 nuggets and a few fries was way over priced. It might be an okay place for the beer, but be ready to wait, and wait.

1  Thank AlanPitt
Gritty M, Public Relations Manager at Gritty Mc Duff's Brewing Co, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

We normally receive high marks for our service and very sorry to learn of your recent experience. Please contact us: grittys@grittys.com so we can learn specifics in order to ensure consistently high quality for our patrons.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

I had to travel up to Lewiston for some company meetings. Gritty's is just a few block away from the hotel I stayed at. After poly - no - meal flying across country I was hungry. The menu is not a broad as when I last visited in 2009. It is more on the pub fare side of the menu. I did order the Turkey burger and upgraded to the sweet potato fries. The Turkey burger came with a cranberry mayo which was excellent. The sweet potato fries were better than what I make at home. I did come back two nights later and tried the flatbread pizza, made to order. Very tasty.

Now for the beer. When I was last in they had a 21 IPA, which was excellent. The bar tender told me the beer had been renamed to Maine's Best IPA, which was on tap. Living out west IPA's are usually higher hop levels than beers found out east. Their IPA would sell well out west. They had a seasonal, a IPA Halloween beer. It was lower in hops, a bit more malty, and lower in Alcohol than the Maine's Best. Since I had walked from the, a few pints were able to be enjoyed. They have a Christmas beer coming out in about 3 or 4 weeks that one of the regulars said was excellent.

When I got there it was still about 75F. They have a big elevated patio that overlooks the river and falls a few blocks away. They were not serving outside and other that a few guys puffing away was empty.

The location is excellent for visitors staying at either the Hilton Garden Inn (3 minute walk) or the Hampton (maybe 8 minute walk). It is informal and can get loud depending on a live music night or the right game on TV.

1  Thank azrundfunk

Thank you for choosing our pub and for the high marks. We hope you'll visit us again the next time you are in town. Cheers!

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

Grittys, you have been my favorite brewpub for nearly two decades, but your Auburn location has a problem, either the bar is oversized or the bar stools are undersized. Either way, lunch today was uncomfortable. Oh , and a napkin would have been dandy.

1  Thank Experience114476

So pleased to hear you are a regular and enjoy our pub. We will look into your suggestion.
Thank you for the kind words and polite post.

Cheers!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Very good brewpub. Good selection of beers. A very good selection of foods from Sandwiches to meals.

1  Thank chip56

Thank you for posting the positive review. We look forward to serving you again.

Cheers!

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Gritty’s is famous! It’s one one Maine’s earliest small breweries and it justifiably maintains its preeminence.

Great selection of Gritty’s beers; I regret only that I couldn’t sample all of them. I had a large glass of their stout. I intended to try a different beer as my second drink, but the stout was so outstanding that I just had to have the same.

Food was good, and creative for pub food. Premises are quite roomy, so I doubt you’ll have problems getting a table. Interiors are comfortably well worn.

Since it was a nice day, we made a beeline for the patio - a balcony above the river walk, with views of the river and Lewiston.

Easy walking distance from the Hilton Auburn and the Hampton Inn Lewiston. If you’re staying at either, then you can easily stroll there and enjoy a couple more beers than you could if you were driving.

Great to see that the folks in Maine appreciate real beer and not those watered down and flavorless beverages!

2  Thank Graeme M

Wow! Thank you! We do appreciate the very positive review and to learn of a happy customer. We hope you have the opportunity soon to continue on with your sampling quest. Many thanks for the shout out to everything about our pub. We look forward to serving you again soon. Cheers!