“Fun plave to gather”

Ranked #4 of 100 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: USD 15 - USD 25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-five years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We live close to this restaurant and go there often. Great beer (Best Bitter is my favorite) and the food is mainly pub style. Gritty chips are yummy, especially with malt vinegar. Sit out on the deck if you can. Nice view of the river. Then take a walk along the river to work off your dinner.

1  Thank Paula T
Gritty M, Manager at Gritty Mc Duff's Brewing Co, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to do this nice review. Our loyal customers such as you make up the fabric and personality of the pub, so thank you for being a part of it.
Also many thanks for the shout out regarding the deck.

Cheers!

There are newer reviews for Gritty Mc Duff's Brewing Co

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

We had the California quesadilla and the spicy chicken burrito, the quesadillas we loved and the burrito was alright. It wasn't very busy but the food was delivered very fast, and the staff was friendly and fast in servicing. Would recommend going here!

1  Thank Anton W

Thank you for the nice review and the shout out to our hard working staff who make it all happen. We appreciate your recommendation to give us a try.

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Cheers!

Reviewed 30 May 2017

My wife went to Gritty's after a day of shopping, exercise, and chores. On looking over the menu I found the food to be on the pricey side for a hole in the wall bar.

My wife ordered the Mexicali Burger and I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich. I ordered my chicken well done. When we got our sandwiches I took a bite of my chicken sandwich and it was way under-cooked for me.

I am one of those people who likes my beef and chicken really well done and if I bite into it and it is pink or under-cooked I often lose my appetite. And this time I lost my appetite.

When the server came back I explained to her what happened and told her I did not want the sandwich or anything else. Her response could best be explained as incredulous. Also there was no simple "I'm sorry".

Once this happened she never came back to the table to check on us. I had to go up and ask the manager for my receipt. When the server came back she quickly put the receipt on the table and quickly left.

My wife called the manager over and explained what happened. At one point the manager explained how she cut the chicken open and did not see any pink. (Both my wife and I felt that was the manager's way of telling us we were wrong).

Both my wife and I had to re-iterate that I asked for it well done. The manager also asked my wife how her burger was (it was fine). (In discussing it later we both thought "what difference does that make").

If I were running Gritty's I would have told the customer "Sorry for the bad experience, your meal is on us". No such deal, they charged us for my wife's burger and sprite.

My recommendation is If you like good customer service, don't go to Gritty's. I don't know, maybe this is one those restaurants where people go because the restaurant staff are jerks. We certainly don't plan on coming back.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your experience. Please contact us via email: gritty@grittys.com so we might discuss this further.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

If you judge this place by their beer, it's terrific. But if you judge by the food, it's pretty good. Not bad, by any means, but just pretty good. We have been a few times. Our son is a real fan. My real complaint comes from treating a teenager to supper there. He ordered the mac and cheese, with a portion of smoked sausage. I was surprised at how much more the sausage added to the price. It was way overpriced. The atmosphere is good, the live music is good, and the beer is great.

1  Thank Phil B

Thank you for the positive review of our atmosphere, music, and beer. We try very hard to offer our customers the best food values and portions possible in conjunction with our own food costs, and sorry if the menu item noted fell short of your expectations.

We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Gritty's is a brewpub with a good selection of beers, pub-style food and a very loud and highly energized atmosphere. As long as this is what you are looking for, you are all set. The food is average; not bad, but not spectacular. There is no shortage of noise here, so if you are looking for a quiet evening with someone special, keep looking.

1  Thank runnerskier