All reviews hour restaurant reasonable hotel albrook mall hot water in the shower huge bathroom
Reviewed 2 June 2015

We spent much time researching hotels in Panama City because no one would take a 51 pound dog and we were in the middle of moving from Costa Rica to Panama. We enlisted the help of Fido.com. Costa Inn said they would take a dog of any size. By the time we arrived to the hotel my poor dog had been in his crate for 14 hours already due to shuttle, plane and car travel. As we were checking in we were told that no dogs were allowed in the room. We were told the dog could spend the night in his crate in the parking lot! Fido.com had even checked on our reservation 12 days prior to our arrival. We left. Fido.com contacted the hotel again requesting a refund which the hotel refused. Fido.com is going to refund the money and remove this hotel from their pet friendly website.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank bfutterman
Reviewed 20 April 2015

We booked this for our last night of our trip, where we had a 19 hour layover in Panama City (from Costa Rica). This is one of the few hotels that has a (semi) free shuttle, so I wanted to save the $30 each way taxi price.

I had emailed ahead of time to try to figure out the shuttle procedure, since it is all very much up in the air (even after their email response).

Here is how the shuttle works:
Upon landing at Tocumen, once you clear customs, look for a woman from the tour company Viajes Florencia (which has offices at Hotel Costa Inn -- all the same group). In our case, she was not at the poast-customs area with a sign, but rather hiding inconspicuously in a corner with her orange shirt--I asked the girl at the Information Desk about Viajes Florencia, and she went and found the girl for me. Tell her you have a reservation at the hotel. She'll radio in / call to the driver. Note that there is just one driver, and probably he's at the hotel and has to drive to the airport to come get you, which is at minimum a 20 minute trip, and if it is rush hour, could be something like an hour, so just be prepared to wait. She told us to go wait outside at the furthest spot and she'd "look for us." After waiting at least 30 minutes, I went back in the terminal to find her, and she was back in her corner spot, and that's when she told me it was just one driver, and she did not know how long. I questioned her, saying, 20 minutes?, and this was the time I convinced myself it would be, so I went off to find an ATM. Well, lo and behold it ended up being more like 10, but she came and found me, which was nice they didn't just leave without us. They stopped at one other hotel before Costa Inn, but then took us to the hotel. The trip from the airport to the hotel is included, but if you want a return trip, then you make a "reservation" with the hotel when you check in, and pay $2 per person, and they give you a little slip. The trip TO the airport leaves at 5:00 a.m., 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 2:00 p.m. We did the 8:00 a.m. trip, which actually left at 7:30 a.m., and took only 20 minutes of travel time since we were going against the flow of rush hour traffic, which gave us TONS of time to kill in the expensive Tocumen gate area before our 11:44 a.m. flight.

The hotel is ok for one night, but I would not want to spend more than this. Everything in it is about 30 years old, and kind of falling apart. The neighborhood is not very good, and there are no restaurants nearby, except for a sketchy McDonald's a few blocks away.

There is a rooftop pool, but I didn't try it because it was raining -- it did look very dirty and old and in general disrepair. The WiFi is free and generally ok--not a great signal or speed, but certainly not the worst. Our prepaid booking on GetARoom included free breakfast (in the attached restaurant, which is open 24 hours), which was just ok.

The best part of the stay (aside from saving $56 on taxis to the airport) was the really friendly girls at the desk. They were really nice, genuine people who truly cared, which often is a rarity when staying at hotels these days.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor. Also, be aware that many rooms have a gap between the door and the frame, making prone to noise -- ask for a different room in this case, at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DrJustino
Reviewed 15 April 2015

This place is the best deal I had in Panama City! The airport shuttle was very convenient - I only had to wait about 12 minutes before it departed. The 24-hour restaurant was a God-send as I hadn't eaten all day, and enjoyed having a delicious bowl of soup and a glass of wine after a day of travelling, while being able to check my emails and upload photos using the complementary wifi. The rooftop pool and spectacular view were wonderful. In the heat of Panama City, it is so nice to be able to go back here and go for a dip in the pool.
The front desk staff were polite, but not particularly helpful when I asked about getting a taxi to the Albrook airport (they told me I'd have to go out on the street with all my luggage and try to get a taxi). However, when I mentioned this to the bar staff in the restaurant, they actually offered to take me to the airport themselves!! Now that's service!!
The room was good, nothing fancy, but everything was clean and secure. I had good hot water and the AC was perfect. The only complaint about the room from me was the pillows - they were too hard and fat for my liking. The owner and restaurant/bar staff went out of their way for me, and I would go back here again for sure!!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank KerryinComox
Reviewed 1 April 2015

The pictures are false advertising- they are way old and the hotel looks nothing like that. And do not count on the airport shuttle!! It's a van that works with like 2 other hotels I waited almost 2hrs for it to leave the airport while they were waiting for other going to different hotels.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
5  Thank MTtraveler123
Reviewed 20 March 2015

Well, my flight was late, so had to pay $40. for taxi.
I had a room on the 6th floor, next to the pool. The view was really nice. My AC unit had no knobs, so no AC. I left the window open to cool off a little at night. The bed was awful! Hard, uncomfortable, double size with the worst sheets and pillows ever! I think if they put soft mattress covers on the beds, it would help. The outlets are so warn out, my chargers keep falling out. A random two inch step going into the tiny bathroom stubbed many toes, many times. I skipped breakfast but had dinner in the restaurant. Fish dinner was almost eatable , but a long way from good or tasty.
Wifi would not work in my room very well.
Location is not good, and very loud.
I would not stay there again even if it were free!

Room Tip: Stay at a better hotel
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo